Volume Buttons Stopped Working - Fix!

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
As of yesterday, the volume up/down buttons stopped working on my Pixel XL. Since I run my Pixel with very few apps, not a lot of customization, I couldn't figure out what was going on. The OS was also throwing a error regarding the TalkBack service stopping. Very weird behavior for a rock-solid, stable phone.

Then, I recalled that recently when my Ok Google audio cue no longer worked (the beep after saying OK Google) I discovered a fix and posted it to this thread. It worked perfectly at that time, so I was happy.

Advance to yesterday, I got a bunch of Google app updates and right after, the volume buttons stopped working and the error message was getting thrown. So, I went into Settings>Accessibility>Switch Access and I set it to "Off". I had set this to "On" to make the audio cues for OK Google to work.

Boom. The volume keys work and no error messages!

Since many of us keep our Pixels "pure Google", I expect that I am not the only one who will experience this.
Hope this helps someone else.
-bk

jhnstn00

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
re:

I left "switch access" off and my "OK Google" Assistant is speaking aloud without any issues. Plus I don't see the annoying things on my camera.

sambit_beta

Dec 25, 2016
Visit site
re:

Try uninstalling the latest Google TalkBack update. I think it's a bug. Alternatively you can turn Switch Access off in Accessibility options. But that kind of messes with the Google Assistant notification sounds

Ronnypep

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
re:

That's the fix. I really would like to know how switch access get's switched on?? This is not the first time I have had to do this.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
re:

As of yesterday, the volume up/down buttons stopped working on my Pixel XL. Since I run my Pixel with very few apps, not a lot of customization, I couldn't figure out what was going on. The OS was also throwing a error regarding the TalkBack service stopping. Very weird behavior for a rock-solid, stable phone.

Then, I recalled that recently when my Ok Google audio cue no longer worked (the beep after saying OK Google) I discovered a fix and posted it to this thread. It worked perfectly at that time, so I was happy.

Advance to yesterday, I got a bunch of Google app updates and right after, the volume buttons stopped working and the error message was getting thrown. So, I went into Settings>Accessibility>Switch Access and I set it to "Off". I had set this to "On" to make the audio cues for OK Google to work.

Boom. The volume keys work and no error messages!

Since many of us keep our Pixels "pure Google", I expect that I am not the only one who will experience this.
Hope this helps someone else.
-bk

I just had this problem today. Unfortunately by turning this off when I say "ok google" it no longer makes the little sound when the assistant first pops up. Oh well! Better than having no volume button function!

Thank you for this!

FirstNotice

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
re:

Just FYI,

I turned Switch Access "Off" and then Turned it back "On" and both the volume and Ok Google response are now working...

Thanks for your Fix.

ydrive

Jul 15, 2017
Visit site
re:

Try uninstalling the latest Google TalkBack update. I think it's a bug. Alternatively you can turn Switch Access off in Accessibility options. But that kind of messes with the Google Assistant notification sounds

Uninstalling or disabling the TalkBack app has fixed this problem on my wife's Pixel, for now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar