Potential pixel noob

mji

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm currently an iPhone user and considering the Pixel. I've a few questions that I can't seem to get an answer for despite searching, stop hope you can help.

Regarding music, I have a fair lot on my phone downloaded. I don't use any streaming services.

If I transfer music to the pixel, can I control it using google assistant? From searches it seems like it may look automatically to play music or Spotify etc. I'm used to using Siri to control music hands free eg "Hey Siri, play all songs shuffled". Not being able to use assistant would be a problem.

Also, am I right in thinking assistant can't read texts or emails just yet? Again, just to confirm what I think I know.

Thanks all in advance for any help.

Mike

quangtran1

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm currently an iPhone user and considering the Pixel. I've a few questions that I can't seem to get an answer for despite searching, stop hope you can help.

Regarding music, I have a fair lot on my phone downloaded. I don't use any streaming services.

If I transfer music to the pixel, can I control it using google assistant? From searches it seems like it may look automatically to play music or Spotify etc. I'm used to using Siri to control music hands free eg "Hey Siri, play all songs shuffled". Not being able to use assistant would be a problem.

Also, am I right in thinking assistant can't read texts or emails just yet? Again, just to confirm what I think I know.

Thanks all in advance for any help.

Mike
Hope this helps.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.andr...nt-can-do-your-pixel?client=ms-android-google

mji

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
I think.

That's telling me assistant looks to google play music or YouTube, or another streaming service. It doesn't say anything about locally stored music, so i assume that's my answer. Assistant won't control music on device.

It's that data side that bothers me. While I have a generous amount of data in the UK unlimited plans are expensive. So streaming always concerns me.

Also, only says compose and send for messages. So assuming again not read.

Thanks for this. Will have a detailed read later.

M

AbAll87

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I think.

That's telling me assistant looks to google play music or YouTube, or another streaming service. It doesn't say anything about locally stored music, so i assume that's my answer. Assistant won't control music on device.

It's that data side that bothers me. While I have a generous amount of data in the UK unlimited plans are expensive. So streaming always concerns me.

M

From my understanding, you can access your musics from the Google play music app. It's for streaming and also a way to access the music on your device . For assistant, I don't know but I'm assuming you should be able to play them

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I think.

M

Assistant won't read texts or emails the way Siri can.

JackInTheDust

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Transfer your music to Play Music playlist(s) (up to 1,000 tracks per playlist). Download the playlist(s) to your Pixel. In Play Music settings (on the phone) turn on "Downloaded only" (turns off streaming). Tell Assistant "play music." Your downloaded music will play in shuffle mode.

mji

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Transfer your music to Play Music playlist(s) (up to 1,000 tracks per playlist). Download the playlist(s) to your Pixel. In Play Music settings (on the phone) turn on "Downloaded only" (turns off streaming). Tell Assistant "play music." Your downloaded music will play in shuffle mode.

Oh good tip. Thank you!

Will this only work with playlist or could it work in general with all downloaded music?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I want to believe that Google Assistant will become much more capable in the months yet to come. But, for the moment, it is quite limited.

As to music, forget all that other crap and just install PowerAmp. No, you cannot "tell" it what to do, but in all other respects, it is *the* great Android music player.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463