Is there a speaker issue?

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
My speaker just started popping the past several days. Usually happens when watching a video and it seemed like it was intermittent. However all of my phone calls the past few days the callers are unable to hear my and keep repeating "Hello" as the speaker seems to be cutting out. Went to Verizon yesterday to see what they can do about it as this will be my 3rd replacement since Nov 1st. In addition to the new speaker or mic issues the update several weeks ago did nothing for my connectivity issues.

Verizon told me they will keep replacing it until I get one that does not have any issues. It kinda sucks, I know, but at least I am getting a new phone out of the deal. From what I was told yesterday and you can take this for what it may or may not be worth but they said these are hardware issues and hardware failures and no software updates will completely resolve things. At least this is my case. Thanks for sharing!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Nothing so far with mine. I use it mainly for speakerphone calls versus media. Media is rare but does happen.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I use the speakerphone daily, as well as listening to YouTube videos, haven't heard any issues

/Edit

OK I just read if you install "perfect piano" from the app store, and run your fingers over the keys with volume at maximum, you'll hear the popping. I did hear it then. Did some experimenting and it only happens at the highest volume, not one click lower. People are also reporting it happens when headphones are plugged in, indicating it is a software issue.

I've never encountered the problem in real world use (music, podcasts, speakerphone, headphones) but apparently there is an issue that google can probably fix with an OTA.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Mine had the issue in that YouTube video (I think it was the "Mummy Returns" trailer. It only happened at the highest volume. There wasn't even a hint of it at lower volume. That seems like software, not hardware, to me. I wish I never saw that thread, as I wouldn't have ever noticed that. But I don't think it's a deal breaker or anything.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the speaker is getting overdriven. The easiest fix, if your Google, is to raise the high pass filter. The fix for owners is to recognize it and turn the speaker back down one notch.

Not a big deal if you ask me

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I haven't heard any issues through headphones. And yeah, just at highest volume without headphones. Wouldn't have noticed it since I never play anything that loud on the phone if I hadn't read it. But it is there at high volume.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I haven't heard any issues through headphones. And yeah, just at highest volume without headphones. Wouldn't have noticed it since I never play anything that loud on the phone if I hadn't read it. But it is there at high volume.

I don't understand how anyone can listen to music that loud. Half way turned up is already so loud for me.

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Mine had the issue in that YouTube video (I think it was the "Mummy Returns" trailer. It only happened at the highest volume. There wasn't even a hint of it at lower volume. That seems like software, not hardware, to me. I wish I never saw that thread, as I wouldn't have ever noticed that. But I don't think it's a deal breaker or anything.
Did you make your way back to android or are you hanging on to your iPhone still?

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I have not heard any issues. although only one speaker, i am actually impressed with the speaker. lets be real, if i needed my phone to be a good listening experience, i would have gotten a different phone. could it sound better, i am sure. stereo would be nice too, but for what i use it for ( audiobooks, youtube or internet videos).

any speaker or stereo should not be pushed to the limit. or at least preform optimally. that's why no stereo in the world has a number 11... that would be to loud.

anon(470989)

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
The only time I hear popping is when I play Final Fantasy Brave Exvius. I figured it was the game's fault since I don't hear it anywhere else.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
It's a race condition in Android N. It was always there, but the last Daydream update made it worse on the Pixel. The temp "fix" varies. For the Pixel, you bump the volume down one notch or lower gain settings if the app you're using has a mixer. For the 6P, toggle airplane mode. For the N9, just reboot.

7.1.1 also causes bluetooth issues with more vehicles than 7.1 did.

The two are probably related, and both because of the new bluetooth stack. Good news is the audio issue is probably a fix that can be made in the kernel or sound properties. The bad news is that they'll probably never be able to fix car BT issues because car makers are always 3 to 4 versions behind with Bluetooth, and going backwards introduces security issues. Google isn't ever going to do it.

ainfinity

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes...there seems to be problem with the phones audio system be it a software or a hardware issue...coming from an Iphone there is a huge difference in overall volume and clarity between the two. I tend to use the audio out for listening to high end music which ok through the headphones, but port it out to the speaker and line out it crackles and pops and is not so good, pretty disappointed at this point.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
This story does not accurately describe the issue. I do have this problem, and have submitted to Google bug reports on request, etc.

First, the problem is independent of the speaker used- it happens with the built-in speaker, BT speakers, or wired in headsets. It does NOT only happen with max, or close to it volume- it just happens more with higher volumes. The problem disappears if you turn on airplane mode; this to me has always indicated it is a resource issue.

This is a serious issue- Imagine you are doing navigation for example, and get "Please turn CLICK on Larpenteur Ave". Was that right or left? Pull out your phone while driving pretty much sucks, so yes, it is an issue.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
My goodness, this rather stinks.

Some paid north of $1K for a beta device.
Not a great start for Google in the high end hardware line.
"Hearing" BT might not be fixed is hardly encouraging.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My goodness, this rather stinks.

Some paid north of $1K for a beta device.
Not a great start for Google in the high end hardware line.
"Hearing" BT might not be fixed is hardly encouraging.

It definitely does suck. If the audio can be fixed that would be good... BT isn't really a fix since as Jerry said if they used older technology in specific vehicles that is less secure that isn't really Google's fault.

At least it is better than my last high end phone that could possible burn / explode on me ;).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude