Pixel XL on ATT

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I do, been using it for a month now and I have had no issues at all. It uses less data than my Nexus 6P did, not sure how that happened.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Working great on att. The GPS seems a bit jumpy sometimes and as mentioned no HD calling or wifi calling. Not a big deal but I can definitely tell when I switch to my iPhone 7+.

Overall no real issues using it on att.

TBH AK

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Anyone using a Pixel XL on the ATT network? How's the experience?

I finally got the pixel xl and I'm at&t. I grabbed a new SIM from at&t the day b4 it was delivered, just to be safe. Works awesome! There's a bug with group messaging with Samsung users. Yeah at&t doesn't have wifi calling, but for some reason this phone is clearer than my note 5 that was on HD/wifi calling.

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Pixel XL about two months ago and took it to the local AT&T store to get a SIM for it. I've had a couple phone lockups, but generally no problems on the network.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I finally got the pixel xl and I'm at&t. I grabbed a new SIM from at&t the day b4 it was delivered, just to be safe. Works awesome! There's a bug with group messaging with Samsung users. Yeah at&t doesn't have wifi calling, but for some reason this phone is clearer than my note 5 that was on HD/wifi calling.
Just to clarify, AT&T does have WiFi calling; in fact I had it on my old S5. The catch is that WiFi calling is only available for AT&T branded devices.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Mine works great on At&t! I have much better reception and faster data than I had with my Nexus 5 which the pixel replaced. I have had it now 4 days and so far couldn't be happier.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
The phone works just fine on the AT&T network, which is what I expected. that wasn't the issue for me. AT&T does not support HD Voice for devices that are not AT&T branded, ergo, no WiFi calling. The Pixel XL (128 GB) was certainly not an inexpensive purchase, just the opposite. Given the cost of the phone, and its capabilities, I just could not see forgoing features that were important to me, such as visual voicemail and WiFi calling.

My way of thinking is that it doesn't make sense for me to pay a premium price for a phone only to lose what I feel are premium features. That's just my opinion. We're individuals here, so obviously we're not all going to feel the same way about phone features, carriers, etc.

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The phone works just fine on the AT&T network, which is what I expected. that wasn't the issue for me. AT&T does not support HD Voice for devices that are not AT&T branded, ergo, no WiFi calling. The Pixel XL (128 GB) was certainly not an inexpensive purchase, just the opposite. Given the cost of the phone, and its capabilities, I just could not see forgoing features that were important to me, such as visual voicemail and WiFi calling.

My way of thinking is that it doesn't make sense for me to pay a premium price for a phone only to lose what I feel are premium features. That's just my opinion. We're individuals here, so obviously we're not all going to feel the same way about phone features, carriers, etc.

I agree with you in principle, but fast updates and stock Android outweighed the AT&T "features" for me. No AT&T compatible Android phone offers stock Android and updates directly from Google, along with the AT&T premium features. I'll pick stock and give up WiFi calling and HD Voice in exchange for not waiting an interminable amount of time for AT&T to release an update.

I have an nVidia Shield LTE tablet that is forever hamstrung by being tied to AT&T. nVidia is pretty good about updating the tablets, but the LTE version is at least a month behind the WiFi version in getting updated, as AT&T has to approve every update, even though it never sold nor subsidized the tablet.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you in principle, but fast updates and stock Android outweighed the AT&T "features" for me. No AT&T compatible Android phone offers stock Android and updates directly from Google, along with the AT&T premium features. I'll pick stock and give up WiFi calling and HD Voice in exchange for not waiting an interminable amount of time for AT&T to release an update.

I have an nVidia Shield LTE tablet that is forever hamstrung by being tied to AT&T. nVidia is pretty good about updating the tablets, but the LTE version is at least a month behind the WiFi version in getting updated, as AT&T has to approve every update, even though it never sold nor subsidized the tablet.
And to me I missed the HD voice on my at&t s7. I got spoiled by it and now to not have it on the pixel makes me feel like I'm using a sh*tty device. I wish they just made it available to unlocked devices. It's available on unlocked iPhones though.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
AT&T uses a proprietary WiFI calling from what I read. The other carriers use the same "standard" system. Supposedly that's why Pixel doesn't have it on AT&T. However, my understanding is unbranded iPhones will work any carrier. ???

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Perhaps I should have clarified that because those features are important to me, and neither WiFi calling nor visual voicemail are exclusive to AT&T, I chose to have my Pixel XL on the Project Fi network rather than the AT&T network. I have visual voicemail, WiFi calling, and the clarity of phone calls is just amazing. No carrier bloat, speedy updates, and I'm saving money!

I have absolutely no intentions of ever owning another carrier branded phone again... been there, done that, don't plan on doing it again.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
And to me I missed the HD voice on my at&t s7. I got spoiled by it and now to not have it on the pixel makes me feel like I'm using a sh*tty device. I wish they just made it available to unlocked devices. It's available on unlocked iPhones though.

They do. It's available on the unlocked HTC A9 and 10 when used with at&t.