Wi-Fi Calling on Pixel

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi
What is the proper way to set up the Pixel for Wi-Fi calling? When I turn on Wi-Fi calling, even though I have it set to make calls over Wi-Fi, when I go into my phone app under Wi-Fi calling, it shows Cellular Preferred. What am I missing or what do I have to do differently to actually make calls over Wi-Fi and not have cellular preferred pop up as my choice when I did not select that?

Thanks!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I thought Verizon updated that. For me on T-Mobile if I go to settings, more, and then wifi calling I get these options.

1482643375922.jpg

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Thank you! That is exactly how mine is set, but when I go into the phone dialer app which is the stock one and when I go into settings and calls under wi-fi calling it shows cellular preferred. So for some reason it is not changing. I was wondering if I missed something else along the way

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Verizon just has the roaming preference. And appears changing that to Wi-Fi does not change the Wi-Fi calling preference

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Verizon removed the WiFi Preferred option. The only carrier to do so, of course. I called early on to voice my displeasure with them. To no avail.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I thought Pixel and its OS were supposed to be "untouched" by the carriers? Don't have a Pixel at this time, but as a Verizon customer, its on my list should the Note 5 start acting up more than it has already.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm on Fi, and I don't have those options either. It is just a toggle to enable Wifi calling. I don't have the menu button on the top right.

2746.jpg

jf2go

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
For those folks using Wifi calling on their Verizon Pixel, is your setting remaining enabled? I can successfully enable Wifi calling through settings, and it works, but sometime later 1/2hr/1hr/? It turns itself off again.

niteryder

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
For those folks using Wifi calling on their Verizon Pixel, is your setting remaining enabled? I can successfully enable Wifi calling through settings, and it works, but sometime later 1/2hr/1hr/? It turns itself off again.

Just bought my pixel and it does the same. This is going to really get frustrating because I have been waiting 4 months to get this phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Just bought my pixel and it does the same. This is going to really get frustrating because I have been waiting 4 months to get this phone.

Hm -- I know you asked Verizon but on I am on T-Mobile and don't see this so not sure why being on VZW would. Unless something with their side is having it flip off.

qbngator

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi
What is the proper way to set up the Pixel for Wi-Fi calling? When I turn on Wi-Fi calling, even though I have it set to make calls over Wi-Fi, when I go into my phone app under Wi-Fi calling, it shows Cellular Preferred. What am I missing or what do I have to do differently to actually make calls over Wi-Fi and not have cellular preferred pop up as my choice when I did not select that?

Thanks!

Unless you're always traveling or in an extremely rural area, why would anyone want to use WiFi for calls? The quality is always worse, and there isn't a carrier that still uses minutes.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I have to use Wi-Fi for calls as I have very poor signal in my place with my pixel. If I don't use Wi-Fi calling with airplane mode my calls constantly disconnect. No other options for me

jf2go

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Unless you're always traveling or in an extremely rural area, why would anyone want to use WiFi for calls? The quality is always worse, and there isn't a carrier that still uses minutes.

Verizon always touts how "great their network is". Unfortunately, for me, in my current and also my last home I have never had acceptable coverage - literally decades without being able to use my Verizon cellphone(s) reliably inside my house. I am not rural, but I am in suburban California. Verizon sold me a Network Extender which was okay, as long as I was close enough to it in the house. It would not cover my entire house - so still lots of missed calls. When I heard the Pixel had Wifi calling, I thought that my problems would finally be solved, as I have great Wifi throughout my house. And Wifi calling does work great (call quality and consistency) - when it is enabled. As I posted, it just randomly turns itself off for no apparent reason. I will open up a case with Verizon support, although I am sure they will point the finger back to Google. I read the Mod above is on T-Mobile, and it is working fine, so I'm sure that I am in for a bit of frustration with support for this issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki