05-02-2017 10:06 PM
43 12
tools
    Hi
    What is the proper way to set up the Pixel for Wi-Fi calling? When I turn on Wi-Fi calling, even though I have it set to make calls over Wi-Fi, when I go into my phone app under Wi-Fi calling, it shows Cellular Preferred. What am I missing or what do I have to do differently to actually make calls over Wi-Fi and not have cellular preferred pop up as my choice when I did not select that?

Thanks!
    12-24-2016 11:32 PM
    I thought Verizon updated that. For me on T-Mobile if I go to settings, more, and then wifi calling I get these options.

Wi-Fi Calling on Pixel-1482643375922.jpg
    12-25-2016 12:22 AM
    Thank you! That is exactly how mine is set, but when I go into the phone dialer app which is the stock one and when I go into settings and calls under wi-fi calling it shows cellular preferred. So for some reason it is not changing. I was wondering if I missed something else along the way
    12-25-2016 12:37 AM
    It could be something to do with Verizon also.
    12-25-2016 07:51 AM
    It could be something to do with Verizon also.
    If OP is with VZW.
    chestvrg likes this.
    12-25-2016 08:49 AM
    Forgot to mention I am on Verizon
    12-25-2016 09:12 AM
    Verizon just has the roaming preference. And appears changing that to Wi-Fi does not change the Wi-Fi calling preference
    12-25-2016 09:17 AM
    If OP is with VZW.
    He is .
    chestvrg likes this.
    12-25-2016 10:56 AM
    Verizon removed the WiFi Preferred option. The only carrier to do so, of course. I called early on to voice my displeasure with them. To no avail.
    chestvrg and DJM626 like this.
    12-25-2016 04:46 PM
    Verizon removed the WiFi Preferred option. The only carrier to do so, of course. I called early on to voice my displeasure with them. To no avail.
    Wow that sucks. Kind of defeats the purpose of wifi calling.
    DJM626, matty032 and libra89 like this.
    12-25-2016 06:18 PM
    Wow that sucks. Kind of defeats the purpose of wifi calling.
    That was going to be my exact response, especially since I do have a fast and killer wi-fi connection but don't have a regular LTE connection
    12-25-2016 06:56 PM
    I thought Pixel and its OS were supposed to be "untouched" by the carriers? Don't have a Pixel at this time, but as a Verizon customer, its on my list should the Note 5 start acting up more than it has already.
    12-26-2016 09:21 AM
    I'm on Fi, and I don't have those options either. It is just a toggle to enable Wifi calling. I don't have the menu button on the top right.

Wi-Fi Calling on Pixel-2746.jpg
    chestvrg likes this.
    12-26-2016 09:35 AM
    For those folks using Wifi calling on their Verizon Pixel, is your setting remaining enabled? I can successfully enable Wifi calling through settings, and it works, but sometime later 1/2hr/1hr/? It turns itself off again.
    02-11-2017 02:11 PM
    For those folks using Wifi calling on their Verizon Pixel, is your setting remaining enabled? I can successfully enable Wifi calling through settings, and it works, but sometime later 1/2hr/1hr/? It turns itself off again.
    Just bought my pixel and it does the same. This is going to really get frustrating because I have been waiting 4 months to get this phone.
    02-11-2017 04:55 PM
    Just bought my pixel and it does the same. This is going to really get frustrating because I have been waiting 4 months to get this phone.
    Hm -- I know you asked Verizon but on I am on T-Mobile and don't see this so not sure why being on VZW would. Unless something with their side is having it flip off.
    02-12-2017 02:59 AM
    Exact same for me.
    On VZW too.
    02-12-2017 09:42 AM
    Hi
    What is the proper way to set up the Pixel for Wi-Fi calling? When I turn on Wi-Fi calling, even though I have it set to make calls over Wi-Fi, when I go into my phone app under Wi-Fi calling, it shows Cellular Preferred. What am I missing or what do I have to do differently to actually make calls over Wi-Fi and not have cellular preferred pop up as my choice when I did not select that?

Thanks!
    Unless you're always traveling or in an extremely rural area, why would anyone want to use WiFi for calls? The quality is always worse, and there isn't a carrier that still uses minutes.
    02-12-2017 10:40 AM
    I have to use Wi-Fi for calls as I have very poor signal in my place with my pixel. If I don't use Wi-Fi calling with airplane mode my calls constantly disconnect. No other options for me
    02-12-2017 10:55 AM
    Unless you're always traveling or in an extremely rural area, why would anyone want to use WiFi for calls? The quality is always worse, and there isn't a carrier that still uses minutes.
    Verizon always touts how "great their network is". Unfortunately, for me, in my current and also my last home I have never had acceptable coverage - literally decades without being able to use my Verizon cellphone(s) reliably inside my house. I am not rural, but I am in suburban California. Verizon sold me a Network Extender which was okay, as long as I was close enough to it in the house. It would not cover my entire house - so still lots of missed calls. When I heard the Pixel had Wifi calling, I thought that my problems would finally be solved, as I have great Wifi throughout my house. And Wifi calling does work great (call quality and consistency) - when it is enabled. As I posted, it just randomly turns itself off for no apparent reason. I will open up a case with Verizon support, although I am sure they will point the finger back to Google. I read the Mod above is on T-Mobile, and it is working fine, so I'm sure that I am in for a bit of frustration with support for this issue.
    02-12-2017 11:06 AM
    Verizon always touts how "great their network is". Unfortunately, for me, in my current and also my last home I have never had acceptable coverage - literally decades without being able to use my Verizon cellphone(s) reliably inside my house. I am not rural, but I am in suburban California. Verizon sold me a Network Extender which was okay, as long as I was close enough to it in the house. It would not cover my entire house - so still lots of missed calls. When I heard the Pixel had Wifi calling, I thought that my problems would finally be solved, as I have great Wifi throughout my house. And Wifi calling does work great (call quality and consistency) - when it is enabled. As I posted, it just randomly turns itself off for no apparent reason. I will open up a case with Verizon support, although I am sure they will point the finger back to Google. I read the Mod above is on T-Mobile, and it is working fine, so I'm sure that I am in for a bit of frustration with support for this issue.
    I totally agree with you for the most part. Funny thing is most of my friends using Motorola phones and iPhones on Verizon can make calls without any issues or without wi-fi in my place. The pixel is the only phone I have owned in which it can't reliably. And I have gone through 3 replacements all with the same results. Like you, Wi-Fi calling works great in my place, nice clear calls other person has no issues hearing me etc, but it shuts itself off after awhile too before it reconnects
    02-12-2017 11:13 AM
    I could use VoLTE in my house if I really wanted but sending it through my wifi works the same and the phone doesn't have to struggle to hold the weak LTE signal. Not sure about Verizon but HD voice still works the same on wifi calling for the T-Mobile network so the worse quality thing doesn't stand for me.
    02-12-2017 11:54 AM
    I totally agree with you for the most part. Funny thing is most of my friends using Motorola phones and iPhones on Verizon can make calls without any issues or without wi-fi in my place. The pixel is the only phone I have owned in which it can't reliably. And I have gone through 3 replacements all with the same results. Like you, Wi-Fi calling works great in my place, nice clear calls other person has no issues hearing me etc, but it shuts itself off after awhile too before it reconnects
    I had an LG G3 before the Pixel, and my wife has an iPhone 6. None of them work reliably in my house. My wife's iPhone *maybe* has a slightly better chance of receiving a call in the house. I haven't compared as yet, by walking around outside the house, to see if it picks up the carrier quicker than my Pixel. The LG G3 and Pixel seem about the same to me. Everyone that comes over to the house with Verizon has trouble making/receiving calls. T-Mobile doesn't work up here, and AT&T seems to work fairly well. My phone is on my Verizon company plan, so no chance to switch carriers.
    02-12-2017 12:07 PM
    They know this is an issue as well. I just bought my phone on Friday at verizon and as soon as I get done trading in my iphone and paying for the pixel the sales reps tells me a lot of people are returning this phone because of reception and calling issues. Wow, thanks for telling me after the fact.
    02-12-2017 12:16 PM
    Yes, Verizon knows about this as well as google, yet neither one of them will budge and come up with a permanent solution to put an end to this issue for those of us who are unfortunately having issues with this phone
    02-12-2017 12:24 PM
43 12