Back to S7

Frenzytom

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
But all you have to do is say the magic words "ok Google" and your Android will come to life. No matter what room you're in as long as it can hear you. Just voice train it. What don't you understand? Thats all I do. Whether I've got my pixel, S7edge, or axon7. They're all voice trained to wake and obey my commands without me lifting a finger. You've got to learn how to use your phone and set it up properly. In all honesty, there's nothing that pixrl can do that my other 2 cannot.
I thought you needed to be plugged in or hit the home button for it to work properly. I am surprised it works completely hands free. The last I checked, it doesn't work on my S7E even with the voice training.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Not all devices work with the screen off and locked. The pixel did because it belongs to Google. The Moto phones so also. To my recollection Samsung did not buy I could be wrong. I honestly don't remember.

Frenzytom

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
That was why I was asking. Google assistant works only in certain situations and wondered how he go it to work with the screen off on the S7E and Axon.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I was debating whether to get the S7 or the Pixel to replace my 4 yr old device. While I still believe the S7 offers more features for the price, I ended up going to the Pixel because I wanted a bloat free, smooth android experience with timely updates. For me, waterproof is nice to have but I rather have a phone that is made of metal (or mostly of) than a glass back phone. I feel I am more likely to drop my phone than splash it with water. I've had phones beginning dating as far back as the Nokia walkie talkie looking phones and never got one wet! (knock on wood)

I am content with the experience the google pixel gives me and that is well worth the price to me. This is the great thing about competition, everyone is free to choose what best suits them.

I had both the S7 and the HTC 10 prior to my pixel. While both are good phones the Pixel is now my daily driver. The S7 has a great camera and I love samsung pay but the lag was excessive for me. The HTC 10 was a really fast phone but for some reason the curved back bothered me and the camera was not as good as the S7 or pixel. The pixel is the fastest phone I have ever used (with the HTC 10 coming in a close second) and I think the camera is excellent from both a still and video perspective. I like getting updates quickly also. The thing that put me over the top was the google photo's deal where all your pixel photos are housed without counting against your google photos limit. I take a ton of pics with my phone. Honestly the S7 and HTC 10 are both great phones. But for me the Pixel has what I'm looking for right now.

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
The s7 is an awesome phone. S8 should also be great

Agreed...We will see if the Samsung still uses the include every feature mentality. They need to regain confidence since the entire Note 7 ordeal was so poorly handled. Until a decision needs to be made I am a happy Pixel XL owner. Sure it is lacking"features" but it just functions so well without worry.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the plethora of replies guys. After using the S7E for a few days I decided to flip flop again and move back to the Pixel XL. The S7E is fine and I love the camera and the water resistance but wow is it a dinosaur compared to the Pixel. I am about to start up a YouTube tech channel and was going to review the Pixel and do a few other videos on it when I noticed the difference. Also, my home button on the S7E sticks sometimes which is annoying. I got used to the fingerprint scanner on the Pixel and still reached for it on the S7E which was funny. I think I will try out the Pixel camera a bit more and go more in depth with it and will give the S8 a go when it comes out. Hoping for a good experience with that. If anyone wants to check me out in a few weeks look up BeardTec on YouTube, Instagram and Twitter. It will all be there soon :) (hopefully that isn't against the rules lol)

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Good luck with your channel!

Thank you very much! I am nervous to start it as I have no clue what I am doing but I am going to try and emulate my inspirations' videos but with my own personality. I have been watching everyone I know of and trying to find cool ways they have shot their videos and have a good outline of what I want to do.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Nothing, a couple of people are just hunting for these threads and trolling. It's kinda sad and detracting from the discussion.

OP, glad you got something that works for you. Are you planning on checking out the S8 or planning to stick with the edge for a bit?

Well I went back to the Pixel because the S7 is so stuttery. I will definitely check out the S8. I love what Sammy has been doing over the past 2 years with the S6 and 7 and even the Note series, regardless of their explosions. I liked the Note 7 a lot and would have kept it if possible. I like the Pixel software a lot, enough that I am giving up the IP68 and, in my opinion, better camera. I did take a picture of my grill last night when the sun went down while I was cooking and it looks quite nice so maybe I just need to play with it a little.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well I went back to the Pixel because the S7 is so stuttery. I will definitely check out the S8. I love what Sammy has been doing over the past 2 years with the S6 and 7 and even the Note series, regardless of their explosions. I liked the Note 7 a lot and would have kept it if possible. I like the Pixel software a lot, enough that I am giving up the IP68 and, in my opinion, better camera. I did take a picture of my grill last night when the sun went down while I was cooking and it looks quite nice so maybe I just need to play with it a little.
Those two cameras are very close in capabilities, but it may be a slightly different response experience switching between the two. There are times on both when the scene in the photo doesn't match exactly the area on the screen. I'm not sure why that happens but it does cause a need for a bit of intuitive adjustment on both phones, which results in a bit of awkwardness when swapping from one to the other.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
My issue isn't with the camera, in fact the camera I find to be better than the S7. I went back to my S7 because of the pixels video recording quality...It is not good. Ive been on my S7 for a week now and I keep staring down my pixel that is sitting on my night stand itching to go back but I take videos everyday of my kids so it's very important to me.

Looking forward to the YouTube reviews!

danielson2047

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a defect with your unit as no one else here has had the same issue and I've heard nothing but rave reviews regarding the video taking quality.

Blumini06

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
I had a S7 and personally I had doubts about the battery life on it. Also I never gotten use to using that with one hand. I always have to remind myself to hold it carefully or else I'll hit the side and some random app would open. I hated waiting for OTA as well and who knows when it will be updated and I don't like the waiting game. Bloatware is also something to keep in mind, its non-sense. Waste of memory. Also, I feel as if I constantly have to troubleshoot the S7 and clear cache to keep the RAM clear to make this device fluidly work. But it always slow down. All in all, S7 was unstable for me and I do love some of the feature and waterproofing but I'm never around water enough. Pixel may have some short coming but not enough for me to switch to another phone. It's definitely not a perfect phone but the pros outweighs the cons.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I decided to switch back to the S7 Edge. I loved the pixel and had no issues with mine. But in the end I missed Samsung pay and a couple other features. Both are great devices.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I have Pixel XL collecting dust now that I have S7 Edge setup with nova launcher the way I like it. I'm loving it. Both great phones no doubt but I like the design and feel of S7 Edge (don't use cases) and Samsung pay and external SD card. I have 128gb in. 3 reasons good enough to get me thinking I should probably sell my Pixel XL.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I did a quick review of the Pixel XL on YouTube! Check it out and let me know in the comments how you like it!

https://youtu.be/6de0hXJpTvI
First off , if that is your kid's room it is kind of Awesome. Also looks like your dog isn't really used to snow but it's kind of having fun with it. You're opening logo sequence thing was also pretty cool.

The Google pixels do have water resistance ratings however they're just not as high as the Samsung and iPhones. Also the way that they are implemented the electronic stabilization in the pixel is better than it would be to use OS with everything else approximately the same.

Overall I liked this review and I think it be really awesome if we had more members sharing their reviews of various devices. In fact I'd actually like to see a bunch of those rather than some of the videos that we actually do get from the professionals.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I also forgot to add that when you first showed the video of you playing asphalt or whatever that driving game was I almost had a heart attack because I thought your screen was shattered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci