How can you tell if your phone came from Verizon or Google?

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I think certain serial numbers are issued to Google and others to Verizon. When I was having issues with my second phone purchased from Verizon and the one corporate store I went to did not want to exchange it for me, I went on the Google site where you get return authorization to ship it back to Google for replacement. When I entered the serial # off of my Verizon box it did not accept the serial number and I got a message if I recall that my serial number was not recognized by Google. I am sure this isn't much help but just putting it out there

mrZoSo

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
One way to tell for sure, is to check OEM unlocking in Developer options. If it's greyed out, it's VZW.

Did some more research and it looks like only 2 models actually exist, a US model and an International model.
So, at this point, we can only assume, that when a VZW SIM is used it disables OEM unlocking. Or the January update does it. (,,,to be continued)

Last edited:

steph_xo

Mar 5, 2018
Visit site
One way to tell for sure, is to check OEM unlocking in Developer options. If it's greyed out, it's VZW.

Did some more research and it looks like only 2 models actually exist, a US model and an International model.
So, at this point, we can only assume, that when a VZW SIM is used it disables OEM unlocking. Or the January update does it. (,,,to be continued)

I purchased from ebay and have a prepaid AT&T sim and my OEM is disabled....
When purchasing it says its factory unlocked... HELP

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Factory unlocked would really only mean "SIM unlocked" and the Verizon model is not SIM locked.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I have seen reports regarding at least one large seller on eBay who offers phones, stating they are bootloader unlocked. When the phones arrive, however, the hapless buyers discover that not only is the phone not as described, e.g., different color than shown, but the bootloader is locked.

My own personal preference, if I were purchasing a used phone, would be Swappa, not eBay, and always use a credit card for the purchase.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, what's a simple way to look this up?
Enable developer options and see if the OEM unlock option is available. If it is, 100% from Google. If not, there are a few apps that will poll the system and give you the vendor key in the build.prop file. If it reports VZW001... Well, guess what that would be.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
B&H sold me a Pixel XL that wasn't listed as a Verizon version but in fact is a Verizon version. It had a Verizon sim preinstalled and the bootloader is locked. I have an email into them asking them to explain this discrepancy.

Nowhere on the product page do they indicate that this is a Verizon model and go so far as to tell you to check your your CDMA carrier to be certain it is compatible.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...tml/BI/20079/KBID/13844/SID/UUacUvbUpU6203309

Just wanted to give prospective buyers a heads up. And while I agree this may not (and shouldn't) necessarily dissuade anyone B&H owes it to consumers to list it correctly.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
B&H sold me a Pixel XL that wasn't listed as a Verizon version but in fact is a Verizon version. It had a Verizon sim preinstalled and the bootloader is locked. I have an email into them asking them to explain this discrepancy.

Nowhere on the product page do they indicate that this is a Verizon model and go so far as to tell you to check your your CDMA carrier to be certain it is compatible.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...tml/BI/20079/KBID/13844/SID/UUacUvbUpU6215421

Just wanted to give prospective buyers a heads up. And while I agree this may not (and shouldn't) necessarily dissuade anyone B&H owes it to consumers to list it correctly.

I'm reading that as SIM-unlocked. They should probably clarify that part.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes. I agree. My only beef is that I had to pay return shipping because they didn't list it correctly. So I lost money due to B&H's error. They now show it as "Discontinued".

On the other hand, they gave me zero grief about returning it and refunded my money the day after they received the return. So their customer service is good. Give credit where credit is due and all that...

I'm guessing the problem is that B&H just didn't understand the difference between the two versions. They even sent the Verizon sim that was preinstalled in the phone back to me because they thought it was mine! So clearly they don't get it. I've been trying to email their customer service about this but they been closed for Passover.

I'll send them back the sim but I'm not paying the shipping. I lost enough on this deal already. I also now have a Pixel XL case to get rid of.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes. I agree. My only beef is that I had to pay return shipping because they didn't list it correctly. So I lost money due to B&H's error. They now show it as "Discontinued".

On the other hand, they gave me zero grief about returning it and refunded my money the day after they received the return. So their customer service is good. Give credit where credit is due and all that...

I'm guessing the problem is that B&H just didn't understand the difference between the two versions. They even sent the Verizon sim that was preinstalled in the phone back to me because they thought it was mine! So clearly they don't get it. I've been trying to email their customer service about this but they been closed for Passover.

I'll send them back the sim but I'm not paying the shipping. I lost enough on this deal already. I also now have a Pixel XL case to get rid of.

I don't think it was listed incorrectly though.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it was listed incorrectly though.

Not sure I agree. No mention of Verizon. No mention of a locked bootloader. And the fact they thought the Verizon sim that was preinstalled is mine says to me they didn't actually know what they were selling.

I don't think it was in any way malicious. I just think they didn't/don't understand the difference between them.

It is a Pixel XL. But there are two distinct versions of a Pixel XL. And that one isn't what I was looking for or thought I was buying.

Last edited:

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, retailers should make it clear which Pixel model they're selling. If they only state that the phone is "unlocked," then they're leaving the interpretation of their meaning up to the consumer. Unfortunately, the store's customer service most likely would not have been able to provide correct information even if asked. In this case, I very much doubt the retailer's intent was to deceive; it's more likely they were just clueless.

There is a material difference between a phone that has a bootloader that cannot be unlocked, versus a phone with a bootloader that can be unlocked. That difference may not be important to some people, while it may be very important to others.

It appears that many if not most people seem to feel that the difference between the phones only matters to those individuals who are interested in rooting their phones. I have absolutely zero interest in rooting my phone; however, I personally choose not to buy a phone that has a bootloader that cannot be unlocked. Why? Because there may come a time when my phone, like any other phone, could be in a state from which it could only be recovered by flashing it with a factory image. When a factory reset can't help, and sideloading an OTA can't help, flashing a factory image may be the only way out of such a mess. You cannot flash a factory image to a phone that has a bootloader that cannot be unlocked.

When I bought my Pixel 2 XL I also opted to purchase insurance. To me, having a phone with a bootloader that can be unlocked if needed is just another form of insurance; while I hopefully won't ever need to use it, it sure is nice to know it's there if I need it.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, retailers should make it clear which Pixel model they're selling. If they only state that the phone is "unlocked," then they're leaving the interpretation of their meaning up to the consumer. Unfortunately, the store's customer service most likely would not have been able to provide correct information even if asked. In this case, I very much doubt the retailer's intent was to deceive; it's more likely they were just clueless.

There is a material difference between a phone that has a bootloader that cannot be unlocked, versus a phone with a bootloader that can be unlocked. That difference may not be important to some people, while it may be very important to others.

It appears that many if not most people seem to feel that the difference between the phones only matters to those individuals who are interested in rooting their phones. I have absolutely zero interest in rooting my phone; however, I personally choose not to buy a phone that has a bootloader that cannot be unlocked. Why? Because there may come a time when my phone, like any other phone, could be in a state from which it could only be recovered by flashing it with a factory image. When a factory reset can't help, and sideloading an OTA can't help, flashing a factory image may be the only way out of such a mess. You cannot flash a factory image to a phone that has a bootloader that cannot be unlocked.
Excellent explanation. Thank you.

This perfectly sums up my feelings about unlocked bootloaders. While I have chosen phones with locked bootloaders in the past and probably will also do so in the future in this particular instance I wanted an unlocked bootloader. B&H's lack of clarity (for whatever reason) cost me $35.00.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781