Hard-core Samsung fan switches to Pixel

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I switched 5 days ago. Thought I'd give Pixel some time before I say anything. Just going to stay short and sweet.

Coming from a guy who thought and still thinks S7 edge is the best overall phone out right now.

But

Pixel is too one of the best phones out.

Samsung on hardware is 10 on 10
Samsung with software without nova is 5 out of 10
Samsung with software with nova is 8 on 10

It made a night and day difference with nova. At least to me. Nougat will take it to at least a 7 I'm sure. But for now 5 is okay. Those who tweak their phones Samsung software is fine. But those who don't, I feel bad for them.

Pixel with hardware is a 7 on 10
Pixel with software is a 10 on 10.

This really is smoother than an iPhone. Yes it is. And it is noticeable. 60fps!

Now, with the additional software features in the S7 (there are A LOT of useful ones), I want to give some bonus points to Sammy boy. Small things in the settings matter a lot with the experience such as setting up always on display, themes, grid size, unread counters and so so so so much more. Not to mention the camera app and stock keyboard, they're so amazing. I'd give the software on Samsung +2 points.

With Pixel and its great implementation of fingerprint scanner and the fact that it doesnt have easily scratch able physical button, I'd give it +1 as well.

So at the end of the day, both phones are at number 1 in my book.

I now get why people out the Pixel at top but I don't get why they don't tie it up with Samsung.

Anyways. If you have an S7 edge and you want to switch to a Pixel, do it if you have the money. And if you have a Pixel and want to go to Samsung, do it if you have the money. You'll get an equally amazing experience with both.

Cheers!

Last edited:

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I had the Note 7 and grabbed a Moto Z in a hurry when I had to return it. The Pixel wasn't available yet. I miss the Note, but I'm loving the fast, near stock Android (I'm on Nougat) on my Moto Z.

The only thing is that the camera on this thing doesn't come close to the Note 7 camera.

I may flip it for a Pixel XL.

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I had a 7 Plus and fiddled with a Pixel XL out of curiosity only to find out they felt exactly the same, performance wise, to me.

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I switched from the S7E to the Pixel and I am very happy and impressed with the Pixel. I had horrible lag on my S7E in many things that I did from day to day. I have had zero lag on my Pixel.

While the Edge may be a slightly better looking phone (and that's strictly a matter of opinion) I think the Pixel is a home run for Google that I believe will only get better with future updates.

Just my opinion from my experience coming from the S7E.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I switched from the S7E to the Pixel and I am very happy and impressed with the Pixel. I had horrible lag on my S7E in many things that I did from day to day. I have had zero lag on my Pixel.

While the Edge may be a slightly better looking phone (and that's strictly a matter of opinion) I think the Pixel is a home run for Google that I believe will only get better with future updates.

Just my opinion from my experience coming from the S7E.

Yes I get that man. Were you using nova on it? As I mentioned for me Nova made all the difference which made me love the S7.

I really miss the
Stock gallery
Stock keyboard
Smart manager
Quick settings in settings
Always on display
The camera app
Water resistance
Curved display

But if i move back to the S7 I'll miss

The software
Comfortable size
I don't know why but i like the design
That's it.

I wish the Pixel had a better camera app. And a better keyboard or typing experience. The things I do the most are interact with people and make content with my phone.

I'm still torn. But I don't have the luxury to go back to the S7 edge so doesn't matter.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Yes I get that man. Were you using nova on it? As I mentioned for me Nova made all the difference which made me love the S7.

I really miss the
Stock gallery
Stock keyboard
Smart manager
Quick settings in settings
Always on display
The camera app
Water resistance
Curved display

But if i move back to the S7 I'll miss

The software
Comfortable size
I don't know why but i like the design
That's it.

I wish the Pixel had a better camera app. And a better keyboard or typing experience. The things I do the most are interact with people and make content with my phone.

I'm still torn. But I don't have the luxury to go back to the S7 edge so doesn't matter.

I'm torn as well. I was happy with the Pixel for about a month then I started missing my S7 Edge and picked up a new one. I'll alternate my sim between phones every couple of days and will start to miss the other one for various reasons. Since I have switched back to At&t from T-Mobile I'm finding that the S7e is actually the better overall experience with their network as AT&T has not allowed support for volte/HD voice, wifi calling, and advanced messaging for the Pixel. Will probably just keep both.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm torn as well. I was happy with the Pixel for about a month then I started missing my S7 Edge and picked up a new one. I'll alternate my sim between phones every couple of days and will start to miss the other one for various reasons. Since I have switched back to At&t from T-Mobile I'm finding that the S7e is actually the better overall experience with their network as AT&T has not allowed support for volte/HD voice, wifi calling, and advanced messaging for the Pixel. Will probably just keep both.
I as well have both and after going back and forth for weeks I have kept the sim in the S7 edge for 3 weeks now and like you said the features on the S7 with at&t are keeping me on the S7. HD voice is amazing and I'm spoiled from having it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Obviously this is subjective but I would have said Samsung was 7/10 hardware and 6/10 software on the S7 Edge, with the Pixel at 8/10 hardware and 10/10 software. But I'm also on Verizon, so all features intended to work are working.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I as well have both and after going back and forth for weeks I have kept the sim in the S7 edge for 3 weeks now and like you said the features on the S7 with at&t are keeping me on the S7. HD voice is amazing and I'm spoiled from having it.

Yeah it is a shame that AT&T won't fully support the pixel. At times it feels like a gimped experience but I really do love using the phone so I just deal with it.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I've had both the S7 edge and the Pixel an the S7 edge never ever produced a single lens flare. Some of my pics on the Pixel had lens flare issues and that's just unacceptable.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I had the Note 7 and grabbed a Moto Z in a hurry when I had to return it. The Pixel wasn't available yet. I miss the Note, but I'm loving the fast, near stock Android (I'm on Nougat) on my Moto Z.

The only thing is that the camera on this thing doesn't come close to the Note 7 camera.

I may flip it for a Pixel XL.

I loved my brief time with the Note 7 so much. I now rock the Pixel XL and it's the best phone I've ever used (other then the Note 7.)

I will continue to love this phone until the Note 8 comes out and I will be going back unless Google comes out with some type of Pixel Pro with a stylus, then I will have a choice to make I guess. :)

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Obviously this is subjective but I would have said Samsung was 7/10 hardware and 6/10 software on the S7 Edge, with the Pixel at 8/10 hardware and 10/10 software. But I'm also on Verizon, so all features intended to work are working.

I would love to know where you think the Samsung lacks in hardware. I'm not challenging you or anything, just curious to know. Why 7 out of 10? What does it lack for you?

I see so many people for the first time who love two completely different phones equally. Just like I do.

Which tells me that we have a great future ahead. And also, how good both Samsung and Google have become. Really happy for both manufacturers. 2017 will be fierce!

Like I said, I don't have the luxury to go back to the S7. But I don't want to either. The Pixel brought out the 16 year old inside me. I still remember the days when I had an iPhone. I knew it was trash but still, it was the best from Apple and I loved apple so it made it feel worth it. I feel the same way about Google. The rationale inside me says there are better things out there but the G on the back makes it feel worth it :p

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I would love to know where you think the Samsung lacks in hardware. I'm not challenging you or anything, just curious to know. Why 7 out of 10? What does it lack for you?

I see so many people for the first time who love two completely different phones equally. Just like I do.

Which tells me that we have a great future ahead. And also, how good both Samsung and Google have become. Really happy for both manufacturers. 2017 will be fierce!

Like I said, I don't have the luxury to go back to the S7. But I don't want to either. The Pixel brought out the 16 year old inside me. I still remember the days when I had an iPhone. I knew it was trash but still, it was the best from Apple and I loved apple so it made it feel worth it. I feel the same way about Google. The rationale inside me says there are better things out there but the G on the back makes it feel worth it :p
I subtract points for edged screen, hardware navigational buttons, front fps, including a microSD card, having microUSB and the all glass design.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
The reason(s) i personally would switch from any device to a Google Pixel is for the software. Having stock android with no manufacturer bloatware like heavy skins installed that slow the phone down. Additionally having super fast software updates and security patches. I also personally LOVE the camera. Definitely one of the best out there and rivals the Galaxy S7 and iPhone 7.

My sister is also a huge Samsung fan and point blank refuses to switch but once i showed her the LG V20. She softened a little to switching haha! Anyway, i hope you enjoy your new Pixel. Just remember, you can always switch back to Samsung if you want. :)