Revisiting the Pixel. What are your thoughts now?

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
That's exactly how I felt about the Pixel XL 128GB I used for about a week. It was bland, boring, and uninspiring. I even felt like it was overhyped. I felt the phone was overpriced for what it offered (or didn't offer, for that matter). I could tell OIS was missed when I took pics in low light. I had lens flaring issues. I had issues with the phone not having a good water resistance. I had issues with cellular/WiFi/Bluetooth connectivity.

The only phone that really satisfied my tastes was the S7 edge, even after owning the iPhone 7 Plus 256GB for a few months. The S7 edge in coral blue is about the most perfect phone I've ever used, just based on the hardware features alone. Nougat will make it even more amazing.

You just have to hope Nougat does not mess up your connectivity like it is on Nexxus devices for some

macher

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
Almost? You mentioned all the reason you'll like to switch, but haven't said much what's keeping you with the iPhone.

I've got both the Pixel and iPhone, which both are awesome devices. Deep down inside if I had to choose one... I'd choose the iPhone, for 2 reasons due to family and friends with iMessage as well as the App Store.

I'm not here to make this out to be a Pixel versus iPhone debate, but that's just my opinion. I enjoy having the Pixel and using pure Android. But go ahead and take the plunge with the Pixel, you can always go back to the iPhone. At least give it a try so it won't continue hanging over your head.

I can see the App Store being a factor. How is iMessage a factor?

Ludatyk

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I can see the App Store being a factor. How is iMessage a factor?
Well, it's iMessage. I have it set up on my Apple devices. It's just a smooth experience... And with iOS 10 it has been even better.

Granted, there's plenty of messaging apps. But iMessage is baked in... No need to tell family and friends to download a certain app. The main factor is the ease of use.. primarily.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I ordered my Pixel on launch day from Google Store. I received it on Oct 24th and still happy with. I always liked "near stock" android phones an before receiving my Pixel was using the 6p.

Love the smoothness,camera, screen,quick updates ,and the size (Pixel sailfish).no carrier bloat.I was glad to see it get the Double Tap, Raise to Wake, added to the Moves
As far as looks of the phone it isn't that bad to me .
I do have it in a tpu type case so the only part of the phone that is actually seen is the screen.
I could see myself using this phone for a few years as my main phone,which is longer then I normally do.
To sum it up no regrets in purchasing this phone,its what I thought it would be :)

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I use two phones daily so work and play are separate, so I'll be able to make it work but I'd prefer 128 GB.

I have the 32GB Pixel as well. After downloading all my apps along with cached data I've occupied 10GB out of the 23 available.

Every night when I charge my phone my photos get backed up. I just go into photos whenever I get the time and hit Free up space and voila! I stay at 10GB forever. Unless I download anymore apps. I rarely download any new apps.

Don't forget to empty the trash as well. In photos app. Takes up a lot of space.

Mungus99

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Blackberry? >Droid Incredible >Galaxy S3(garbage) >Razr Maxx HD>Droid Turbo >Pixel XL 128 QB.. This is by far and away the best phone I've ever owned

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
My only issue with this phone is the audio.. First, let me say that I used the HTC M8 for over two years and that phone is the best smartphone I have ever used period! So, I was and still am excited about the pixel but the weakness for me is with audio..

Playing music through the bottom firing speaker is horrid, even looking at videos I can't hear the audio at all when in a public place.. Never had that problem with the M8! *Front facing speakers*

Playing music over Bluetooth is horrid because the music skips constantly, I have been in the forums trying to figure out a way to fix that but no solution has been found?!?

So with all that said, I overall like the pixel and will be keeping it but music is something I simply won't use on this device! Luckily for me I have other devices to use for my tunes!

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget to empty the trash as well. In photos app. Takes up a lot of space.

Great tip I didn't know this!

My only issue with this phone is the audio.. First, let me say that I used the HTC M8 for over two years and that phone is the best smartphone I have ever used period! So, I was and still am excited about the pixel but the weakness for me is with audio..

Playing music through the bottom firing speaker is horrid, even looking at videos I can't hear the audio at all when in a public place.. Never had that problem with the M8! *Front facing speakers*

Playing music over Bluetooth is horrid because the music skips constantly, I have been in the forums trying to figure out a way to fix that but no solution has been found?!?

So with all that said, I overall like the pixel and will be keeping it but music is something I simply won't use on this device! Luckily for me I have other devices to use for my tunes!

My previous phone was an HTC ONE M7 and yes HTC had the best front facing speakers. I believe the HTC 10 still managed to be loud and clear with the new speaker set up and listening to music with headphones I hear is amazing. I agree the Pixel lacks in this area. For the time being I'm keeping the M7 as my "iPod" sort of device and my Pixel for everything else. I doubt the front facing speakers will make a comeback particularly when the more popular companies are going the waterproof way. It's a shame.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the 32GB Pixel as well. After downloading all my apps along with cached data I've occupied 10GB out of the 23 available.

Every night when I charge my phone my photos get backed up. I just go into photos whenever I get the time and hit Free up space and voila! I stay at 10GB forever. Unless I download anymore apps. I rarely download any new apps.

This is how I normally would do it as well and I would be fine with 32 GB. I only got the 128 GB version for road trips (download movies / playlists versus streaming) and mainly because Aquila gets mad when I don't buy the biggest storage phone :p.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon