Revisiting the Pixel. What are your thoughts now?

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I've had my 32GB Blue Pixel since Christmas so I'm about 3 and a half weeks in coming from my previous HTC One M7 phone since its release in 2013. I don't often upgrade so deciding on the Pixel took a lot of research between various phones.

My main deciding factor was mainly a clean and fast Google experience (detest bloat) so definitely software experience was my priority. At first, the phone looked quite ugly to me but the blue version really sold me on it yet I still find the design is nothing out of this world and most of the times people have commented how much it looks like an iPhone. So far the "sexiest" phone I've seen was the late Note 7, RIP. I'm not a big phone camera person but this phone changed it around for me. I love taking pictures now and the unlimited storage is a plus! Fortunately I have not experienced any signal issues (wifi or bluetooth) or lens flare as others have.

What I really miss is front facing stereo speakers (I'm always listening to music) and a good DAC. I believe HTC still dominates the "sound" area and would love to see these incorporated in the next Pixel.

Strangely, even though I love my phone, at times it feels boring, or perhaps my use has changed as I no longer game (aside from the strange little cat "game" included with nougat). I use it less often than my previous phone despite having no issues with it although I believe it may be due to my music listening experience. I just can't quite pinpoint what it is!

Overall, I have no complaints and I hope Google manages to make itself truly stand out with the next Pixel. I believe they are off to a very good start! Heck, even my iPhone using wife is now finally willing to switch an Android phone after trying the Pixel, a feat I've failed at many times before.

Last edited:

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
And I see most of the people here who love the Pixel are utilitarians. Function over form is what you guys want!

It's getting clearer to me :D

And perhaps minimalists as well. But other than the lack of bloatware, the thing that pulled me to Nexus, which led to my current Pixel, was updates.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
And perhaps minimalists as well. But other than the lack of bloatware, the thing that pulled me to Nexus, which led to my current Pixel, was updates.

That was a pull for me as well. I used to not care but as I get older and my phone holds lots of info / access to my things -- it makes me feel better to know I get the latest Security Patches for backdoors and whatnot.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
And I see most of the people here who love the Pixel are utilitarians. Function over form is what you guys want!

That's why I loved my Nexus. That's why I loved my Moto X. That's why I love my iPhone. That's why I will only consider a Pixel if I choose an Android phone this fall.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
With the giant fails this season from too many OEMs in security, it is hard to justify anyone you know isn't treating it as a highest priority. And in action at that, not just saying the word.

Ludatyk

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Heck, even my iPhone using wife is now finally willing to switch an Android phone after trying the Pixel, a feat I've failed at many times before.

As much as I enjoy the Pixel and the pleasing experience of pure Android, but I can't get rid of the iPhone. I just picked up the Pixel and I previously had a Note 7 (I miss that phone).

But all and all, Google is off to a great start. The biggest issue among reviews is the price, but for those who follow Google and the Nexus brand should know that this has to be done in order to compete with Apple and Samsung.

I honestly don't have any issues with the Pixel... I knew what I was buying. It doesn't have the bells and whistles that Samsung provides, but not have to deal with bloat ware, getting pure Android and having great performance is enough for me.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I look at the pixel XL as having many more bells and whistles than the s7 edge and v20, etc. Just different ones. Like the difference between a fully loaded Camry and a Tesla. Just very different approaches to what's a priority. A better example might be those stupid blinged out SUVs. Yeah, they have a bunch of expensive stuff on them. That doesn't make them any less trashy.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I share the same experience with you being a S7 edge owner prior to buying the pixel. I think the problem is that the two phones are so different in every aspect which creates a hard decision to only choose one. I can't get rid of one, it's too hard of a decision for me. They each have their pros that are polar opposites.

Pixel has the best software experience while the S7 doesn't. I do like the camera on the pixel better, but I find the screen to be nicer on the S7. Samsung pay is a nice pro of the S7 that I use ALOT. Pixel can be used with a tempered glass SP ( big plus for me ) while the S7 can't due to its curved edges. I have no SP on my S7 and I hate not having one on there. I won't use the thin wet apply protectors either so that's out of the question.

S7 has expandable storage and wireless charging, pixel doesn't. The wireless charging I can live without. The pixel has unlimited storage for photos so I don't even need SD storage which is nice. I own both and I go back and forth constantly BC I start to miss using one when it sits on my desk too long. Serious issues!

I think I have the same issues as you have with your S7. Unlike you I DID find amazing accessories for the S7 edge which I really really loved and it just made me love using the phone.

With the Pixel, I couldnt find anything which could give it a futuristic flare.

Maybe as a lover of futuristic technology and design, the Pixel isn't fulfilling the being the eye candy part of the experience. Without a case it looks absolutely beautiful I must say. And feel in the hand is great. But part of 'my' experience with a phone is accessorizing and I just haven't managed to do that with the Pixel. All the cases I buy make it even more thicker and ugly. And I can't use it without a case with that glass on the back which I've already scratched like crazy just by using it normally.

Maybe it's the not being able to use it how I want it part which frustrates me. I don't know. Still confused :p

But let me assure you that I love the Pixel and it is one of the top 3 phones in my books. No, top 2. The iPhone doesn't count. 720p. Pee yellow screen. No.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I think I have the same issues as you have with your S7. Unlike you I DID find amazing accessories for the S7 edge which I really really loved and it just made me love using the phone.

With the Pixel, I couldnt find anything which could give it a futuristic flare.

Maybe as a lover of futuristic technology and design, the Pixel isn't fulfilling the being the eye candy part of the experience. Without a case it looks absolutely beautiful I must say. And feel in the hand is great. But part of 'my' experience with a phone is accessorizing and I just haven't managed to do that with the Pixel. All the cases I buy make it even more thicker and ugly. And I can't use it without a case with that glass on the back which I've already scratched like crazy just by using it normally.

Maybe it's the not being able to use it how I want it part which frustrates me. I don't know. Still confused

But let me assure you that I love the Pixel and it is one of the top 3 phones in my books. No, top 2. The iPhone doesn't count. 720p. Pee yellow screen. No.

Yep, confused as well and I won't ever be able to make a decision on which to keep. The pixel is thicker, and adding a case does make it even thicker than it already is. I can't use a phone without a case, they are all too slippery and yes the pixel back glass scratches like crazy. It is just such a good device I think I'm willing to give up how it looks and just enjoy how well it performs. The battery is so much better than the edge. Everyone says it looks like the iPhone, so does that mean the iPhone isn't a nice looking phone? If the pixel were thinner I'd be hooked to it. I actually don't mind the hardware design at all, it's simplistic and sleek. The S7 edge ( I have gold) is a disgusting fingerprint magnet that reflects light like crazy but I got used to that.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I've had my 32GB Blue Pixel since Christmas so I'm about 3 and a half weeks in coming from my previous HTC One M7 phone since its release in 2013. I don't often upgrade so deciding on the Pixel took a lot of research between various phones.

My main deciding factor was mainly a clean and fast Google experience (detest bloat) so definitely software experience was my priority. At first, the phone looked quite ugly to me but the blue version really sold me on it yet I still find the design is nothing out of this world and most of the times people have commented how much it looks like an iPhone. So far the "sexiest" phone I've seen was the late Note 7, RIP. I'm not a big phone camera person but this phone changed it around for me. I love taking pictures now and the unlimited storage is a plus! Fortunately I have not experienced any signal issues (wifi or bluetooth) or lens flare as others have.

What I really miss is front facing stereo speakers (I'm always listening to music) and a good DAC. I believe HTC still dominates the "sound" area and would love to see these incorporated in the next Pixel.

Strangely, even though I love my phone, at times it feels boring, or perhaps my use has changed as I no longer game (aside from the strange little cat "game" included with nougat). I use it less often than my previous phone despite having no issues with it although I believe it may be due to my music listening experience. I just can't quite pinpoint what it is!

Overall, I have no complaints and I hope Google manages to make itself truly stand out with the next Pixel. I believe they are off to a very good start! Heck, even my iPhone using wife is now finally willing to switch an Android phone after trying the Pixel, a feat I've failed at many times before.

I've noticed a huge drop in quality of sound via headphones as well. It sounds dead and hollow. Is it just me?

I've used HTC phones as well as the iPhone which probably have the best sound via headphones. At least to me. Even the S7 had a louder and clearer output.

Also, exclusion of the headphones. Such a weak move by Google. Seriously. With a price tag like that. Google loved pulling an Apple this time.

Again, the sound via headphones, is it just me?

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
And I have to say most of you have a common liking with the software, build and camera. That's what I love about the Pixel as well.

It's getting clearer to me :D

This pretty much sums it up for me. The way I use my mobile devices, software and services will always be the absolute most important parts of the phone. Samsung makes great devices, but all the bloatware drives me nuts. I enjoy everything about the Pixel phone for sure, but the hardware is secondary for me and always will be. I use GA A LOT and am pretty immersed in the ecosystem, so the software experience using the Pixel is above anything else I've ever used.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Pixel XL for a month now and I mostly love it. I didn't think I would coming from a nexus 6P, but I really see a big difference in almost all aspects. The design does seem a little boring to me, but my device performs with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I still wish it had dual front facing speakers, but I've adapted to it by using a blue tooth speaker when listening to music or a good pair of beats earbuds. The device is reliable and does what I need it to do very well.

macher

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
iPhone user here. Very interested in the Pixel. Why? Because my iPhone's have always been Google-fied. I Would love a Google iPhone if that makes sense but that's not going to happen. What's attracting me to the Pixel is the hardware looks well built and Google services are baked right in. I use Google Now ALOT on my iPhone via the Chrome app and it works GREAT.

Never was really attracted to Android before because I know lots of people who have various Android devices and apps looks clunky and don't look crisp etc. From watching videos and playing with the Pixel in Best Buy the apps and operating of the apps seem buttery smooth. Plus I never liked the hardware designs of various Android devices. The Pixel looks sort of sexy yet spartan which I prefer because it seems and feels like a well built device.

I'm not a fanboy of any OS but I never use Apple services on any of my hardware only if I have too. For instance I don't even back up photos via iCloud I use Google Photos app. Also since my email address is gmail address it's much easier and more streamlined to use Google services such as Calendar and Inbox. I don't use the Safari browser on any of my hardware I use Chrome. All my contacts are synced via Google. Since I'm on a desktop often it just makes sense for me to have Google on all my hardware. When I respond to emails via gmail and want to check my calendar for appointments I just do it through gmail. Why should I have to log into another platform to access Calendar and photos? Doesn't make sense to me.

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the Pixel.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a fanboy of any OS but I never use Apple services on any of my hardware only if I have too. For instance I don't even back up photos via iCloud I use Google Photos app. Also since my email address is gmail address it's much easier and more streamlined to use Google services such as Calendar and Inbox. I don't use the Safari browser on any of my hardware I use Chrome. All my contacts are synced via Google. Since I'm on a desktop often it just makes sense for me to have Google on all my hardware. When I respond to emails via gmail and want to check my calendar for appointments I just do it through gmail. Why should I have to log into another platform to access Calendar and photos? Doesn't make sense to me.

Based on what you have said, you should find the transition pretty smooth. There are always a few things here and there that will take some getting used to though. Good luck if you dive in. There are a bunch of folks here that have switched or use both platforms, so any questions or help you need is always a quick post away.

Ludatyk

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site

Almost? You mentioned all the reason you'll like to switch, but haven't said much what's keeping you with the iPhone.

I've got both the Pixel and iPhone, which both are awesome devices. Deep down inside if I had to choose one... I'd choose the iPhone, for 2 reasons due to family and friends with iMessage as well as the App Store.

I'm not here to make this out to be a Pixel versus iPhone debate, but that's just my opinion. I enjoy having the Pixel and using pure Android. But go ahead and take the plunge with the Pixel, you can always go back to the iPhone. At least give it a try so it won't continue hanging over your head.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't regret getting the Pixel. But I'm not completely satisfied either. It's a really weird phone. Half baked but still tastes good.

That's exactly how I felt about the Pixel XL 128GB I used for about a week. It was bland, boring, and uninspiring. I even felt like it was overhyped. I felt the phone was overpriced for what it offered (or didn't offer, for that matter). I could tell OIS was missed when I took pics in low light. I had lens flaring issues. I had issues with the phone not having a good water resistance. I had issues with cellular/WiFi/Bluetooth connectivity.

The only phone that really satisfied my tastes was the S7 edge, even after owning the iPhone 7 Plus 256GB for a few months. The S7 edge in coral blue is about the most perfect phone I've ever used, just based on the hardware features alone. Nougat will make it even more amazing.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
That's exactly how I felt about the Pixel XL 128GB I used for about a week. It was bland, boring, and uninspiring. I even felt like it was overhyped. I felt the phone was overpriced for what it offered (or didn't offer, for that matter). I could tell OIS was missed when I took pics in low light. I had lens flaring issues. I had issues with the phone not having a good water resistance. I had issues with cellular/WiFi/Bluetooth connectivity.

The only phone that really satisfied my tastes was the S7 edge, even after owning the iPhone 7 Plus 256GB for a few months. The S7 edge in coral blue is about the most perfect phone I've ever used, just based on the hardware features alone. Nougat will make it even more amazing.

Are you back on the S7 Edge now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome