T-Mobile, WiFi calling, and Pixel?

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have a question for those of you that use your Pixel on T-Mobile. I have very low T-Mobile cell coverage at my home, so I would need to use WiFi calling at my home all the time.

My question to those of you that are already doing this, when you use WiFi calling at home, and have low cell coverage there, is your battery consumption higher than it would be if you had decent cell coverage? I know that under some circumstances, despite the fact that WiFi calling can be used, user's phones will work very hard to make a minimal cellular signal usable. So I've seen pretty bad idle battery usage at home as a result of having low cellular coverage even though I have WiFi calling available.

Can someone on T-Mobile that's experienced WiFi calling with the Pixel there please tell me about your battery use experience in low cell coverage situations?

Thanks very much!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It works just fine. My battery drain is also not anything crazy either.

If you're truly worried you can put the phone in airplane mode and just use wifi calling.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
It works just fine. My battery drain is also not anything crazy either.

If you're truly worried you can put the phone in airplane mode and just use wifi calling.

That's what I don't want to have to do...I want wifi calling to turn on when needed, and off when not needed without my having to remember to do that.

Thanks for the response, sounds reassuring!

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Same for me...WiFi calling on T-Mobile works great and if you set the Setting to WiFi Calling Preferred, it will automatically turn it on when WiFi is active and it notifies you. No extra battery drain at all.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Here you go :).
23ec0d5b124b7eef9ea1adda0a166bdf.jpg

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I work from home and am on t-mo WiFi calling all day.

I have yet to experience any issue with it, battery or connection.

My last several T-mo modified. Phones ALL had connection issues, as t-mo would shut down the radio when the screen shut off to conserve battery. . Kind of defeated the purpose.

The XL never has this problem, all calls come through with no issues and I never touch a charger until I go to bed.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like the answers that I was hoping for, T-Mobile seems to be doing this right.

Thanks very much for all the responses!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like the answers that I was hoping for, T-Mobile seems to be doing this right.

Thanks very much for all the responses!

Yep -- I have no real complaints. I keep everything turned "on" for my phone (all syncs, notifications, etc.) so stuff keeps going on overnight. I am usually always been 2-4% over 7-8 hours while I sleep. :).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I also have a very weak signal in my home but I picked up a T-Mobile 4G LTE Cellspot and I highly recommend it: https://support.t-mobile.com/community/coverage/personal-cellspot/4g-lte-cellspot

My Pixel now has full signal anywhere in and around my house on T-Mobile's network so there's no need for Wi-Fi calling. Well worth checking out. You can always return it if it doesn't work for you.
I did a review on their actual cell booster (not the one that goes through your home network but rather boosts the weak cell signal into the house). I don't use it anymore since my Pixel XL plays nice with WiFi calling .. but here is a review of interested :).

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=4546150

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance