Anybody else's battery life just sucks ?

hrrsncrawford

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Coming from IPhone 7, and the battery life on this phone is just horrible compared to previous phones I've had. iPhone 7 recently, S7 before that.. Just based off of the reviews , I was expecting something a little better than say the S7 .

Last edited:

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Coming from IPhone 7, and the battery life on this phone is just horrible compared to previous phones I've had. iPhone 7 recently, S7 before that.. Just based off of the reviews , I was expecting something a little better than say the S7 .

How about providing us with some examples? How do you use the phone? Is it a regular Pixel or XL? Screenshots of battery performance?

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I am loving the battery life on my XL...I consistently get 6 hrs SOT

I'm not quite there on my XL but close. The other day I had almost 5 hours SOT on a charge that lasted 1 day and 9 hours. That's pretty good for me. I'm somewhat of a heavy user.

Blumini06

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site

Maybe reboot? And start fresh.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 7 better battery? Probably yes compared to small pixel. S7 is the worst. Pixel XL having a bigger battery is better than those but little less than iPhone 7 plus and almost same as S7 edge.

Momof9Blessings

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
I was going to post about battery life.... So I finally took my XL to a concert. When I left the house about 12:30 I made sure I was at 100%. In the past, with my Note 4 - I would have to use a mophie to charge, so that I could take pics etc.

My daughter used up my mophie to get up to 93% last night to survive on her S7 Edge. I know by the end of the evening - our phones had about the same amount of battery life - in the 60% range. But hers was charged and mine was NOT. She may have taken a few more pics and video than I did. But I did use my phone a lot. I also had faster data speeds than she did (she is on our plan). After almost 24 hours since last charge, I am at 35%.....

The XL battery is like the energizer bunny.... keeps on ticking.... :)

vlawrence0324

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I love my pixel XL battery life. I'm at almost 4 hours SOT and I still got 42℅ left.
7180064f2ad51a49dd7fde0d2acccfff.jpg

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Why do threads like this always seem to quickly escalate into a pissing match over screen on times with no relevant information about how those times are achieved?

To the OP, posting as many screen shots of battery screens and app lists on the battery screen can help others give you suggestions. My first thoughts are 1) check the battery screen for the list of apps and what usage they have, 2) then tap the battery graph and check the detailed graph - look for long wake times and signal strength, look at the slope of the graph as well to find patterns between high drain periods vs signal strength or wifi usage etc. Between these two things you may be able to determine if your issue is more one of an application/service taking too much CPU/wake time vs having poor signal.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Hard to beat the standby time of the iPhones. I have an iPhone 7 and a Pixel and love them both but the iPhone, in all honesty, just slays the Pixel when in idle. Screen on Time is also advantage iPhone but not by as much.

The Pixel is probably the best Android phone as far as battery life is concerned but there are so many rogue and runaway (and legit) processes running on Android phones compared to locked down iPhones that they will never deliver the battery performance Apple can.

That said, you are trading battery life for considerably more flexibility and many more features so for many, that's a trade worth making.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Hard to beat the standby time of the iPhones. I have an iPhone 7 and a Pixel and love them both but the iPhone, in all honesty, just slays the Pixel when in idle. Screen on Time is also advantage iPhone but not by as much.

The Pixel is probably the best Android phone as far as battery life is concerned but there are so many rogue and runaway (and legit) processes running on Android phones compared to locked down iPhones that they will never deliver the battery performance Apple can.

That said, you are trading battery life for considerably more flexibility and many more features so for many, that's a trade worth making.

In terms of best battery life on an Android phone, the Moto Z Play would beg to differ. I know it's a midrange and may lack in some areas, but it blows any iPhone and Pixel out out of the water on battery longevity.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting good battery life with my Pixel with my normal use, weirdly though it seems to go through battery more on standby. If I go to bed with 100% when I wake up in the morning it's at about 85%.

Strife21

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Yea thats a bit odd I dont really lose that much on standby. Try resetting battery optimization maybe. I have the regular pixel and get between 5h 15mins to 5.5 hrs of screen time which I think is fantastic. Normal use easily lasts a day sometimes into half of the following day.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry you are experiencing this, OP. A few tips/questions:

- have you tried using a Facebook-alternative app, such as a browser version?
- is your location, Bluetooth, data, etc. turned off at night while you are sleeping? Doing this will aid in stopping battery drain while you sleep.
- do you game a lot, or watch a lot of videos, Netflix, etc.?
- has your phone always had this battery discharge issue (i.e., since time of purchase); or has it gotten worse over time?

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Yea thats a bit odd I dont really lose that much on standby. Try resetting battery optimization maybe. I have the regular pixel and get between 5h 15mins to 5.5 hrs of screen time which I think is fantastic. Normal use easily lasts a day sometimes into half of the following day.

Thanks I'll try that. Again yesterday the battery life was great while I was at work and away from a charger for about 11 hours. Made it home with over 60%! Charged it up before going to bed and when I woke up it was down to 83%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674