iPhone user thinking about Pixel purchase

jebulls

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Long time iPhone user here thinking about jumping ship. I have a few questions though. How painful is migrating data? Is there a way to bring messages and everything over? Also I use a note app that syncs with google drive, is there something like that? With messaging, how does group SMS work. Being on iPhone when I have a droid in a group it acts the same except the color of text bubble. Does it show as a group text on the droid? Also the main reason I want to jump ship is im so tired of dealing with files on iPhone. Some files need an app to change the file to save or print it. Any problems with the droid on this end? Sorry for the novel, just want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks for any advice.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Group MMS is the one frustration I have with Android devices and my carrier but I'm not interested in switching carriers because I like the coverage that I get in my area and the data plan that I have. I'm on AT&T which seems to have compatibility issues with Samsung phones that have advanced messaging enabled on another carrier *cough*tmobile*cough*. I bring this up because you're coming from a iPhone with which messaging just plain and simple works no matter what, but with Android there's a chance you'll have issues. If you're on AT&T and frequently group text with T-Mobile Samsung users just be prepared that you may not see their messages in group chat.

As for transfer of messages i have no idea, I doubt it's possible but I am not sure.

Update:. As you can see below other carriers don't necessarily have issues with group messaging. My recommendation is to be mindful of the potential issue if you are on AT&T but to not let it sway you away from purchase if you are on a different carrier. I have read that on AT&T the issue can be mitigated by having users that you have trouble with change settings on their end. I have not had success with this most likely because the user I have issues with either couldn't figure out what I was asking her to do or refused to do it.

To answer your other questions, if you already have some Google Drive use occuring on the iPhone side the only reason you wouldn't be able to use the data on Android side is if the application that's storing its data on Drive doesn't exist on Android. Check the play store for the application (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../https://play.google.com/store&token=mT6nhmGf) to see if you can find the note taking app you need.

File management on Android is pretty good. There are a ton of different file explorer applications to choose from on the Play Store. My recommendation is Solid Explorer but there are many others like it. If you do buy an Android device and install a file manager app be sure to test out the share menu from other applications to see if the file manager shows up (most do, some don't) so that you can share a file/attachment to any folder you wish on your device using the file manager. Handy feature for sure.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi, there! Yes, iMessage is a fluent and simple experience - I do not think Android's is always as easy! I do not think you can transfer messages over from your Apple device to an Android one; however, you can always screenshot the important conversations and email them to yourself if need be! A lengthy process, yes, but at leas you'd still have them with you!

If you are interested in group messaging, there are apps like GroupMe and others from the Google Play Store that may offer a better experience than that of MMS.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

JenTDOT

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm an iPhone user who switched to the Pixel. iMessage is the one thing I missed the most. I like being able to see when people are typing back to me. I have no real problem with group messages on my Pixel. I'm always included from iPhone users. Typing on this thing for me is really hard. iPhone's autocorrect is a lot of less thinking I have to do, where I always have to go back and correct my typing on the Pixel with the predictive text. To be honest, I'm back to using my iPhone because I've had wifi problems with the Pixel, but I'm likely in the minority on that. Other than that, it's a good phone.

KenwoodUser

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
I was a long time iPhone user and love the pixel. We are on Verizon and use their message app on the pixel. This allows us to see when messages were sent and delivered. We are also able to install it on our iPads and iMac, so the messages are all in sync. In addition, all my text messages from my iPhone message app transferred to the Verizon message app.

The Verizon store used the cable that came with the pixel to move many items. All I really needed to do was add the apps and do some configuration.

Photos did not transfer to the new phone but all music stored on my phone did.

I really like the pixel and found the transition to be painless.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I was a long time iPhone user and love the pixel. We are on Verizon and use their message app on the pixel. This allows us to see when messages were sent and delivered. We are also able to install it on our iPads and iMac, so the messages are all in sync. In addition, all my text messages from my iPhone message app transferred to the Verizon message app.

The Verizon store used the cable that came with the pixel to move many items. All I really needed to do was add the apps and do some configuration.

Photos did not transfer to the new phone but all music stored on my phone did.

I really like the pixel and found the transition to be painless.

I've heard that Verizon's messaging app is great! Sounds like it's a fluid and awesome experience!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci