Preventing burn-in

mwest316

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok, replacement phone came in, set everything up on it, back up and running. I set my brightness to 75% where the button of the brightness bar stops right underneath the pencil icon in the top of settings (couldn't justify any lower brightness than that, and do not see how others keep the brightness that low) and enabled adaptive brightness. Setup Navbar apps and paid for the pro version. Installed GMD Immersive and paid for the pro version, which I love! Setup screen timeout to 30 seconds. Anything else I should do to keep this from getting burn-in on the replacement phone? I think my biggest downfall the last time was almost max brightness, not using adaptive brightness, and when using apps such as facebook, instagram, snapchat, and reddit, having the black bar at the bottom with the navigation buttons..But now that those disappear when using apps, it should be good right?

Amb312

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I just turned my phone up to that brightness and Wow! That is bright lol. I hope this one works and you don't have the same problem again.

mwest316

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
What brightness do you use? Maybe I am just used to bright screens? I don't know.. I want to give anything a try to keep my phone from getting burn in

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I keep mine around 50-60% with adaptive on -- I turn it up to 100% when watching media content.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Wow. I keep my brightness at about 30-40% with adaptive brightness. Hopefully all goes well with this one.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Even at 75%, that's pretty bright. Burn in will still happen but not as fast as when it's at 100%. I had my 6P for 6 months with 40% brightness with no burn in but I had hardware failure so I needed a replacement and I kept that one at 40% too.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Do they really burn in on these new screens? Maybe I've been lucky but I've yet to see any incidence of this in the last few devices.

mwest316

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Yep.. its very common.. unfortunately.. I have gotten adapted to 50 percent brightness now.. Next device will definitely not be an amoled screen, that's for sure.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Burn in is such a bad term... Misleading carry-over from the days of cathode ray tubes where the electron beam would literally burn into the phosphor layer in the inside of the screen.

AMOLED 'burn' is really the diodes wearing out and losing their ability to produce light. They slowly degrade, and colors degrade at different rates, with blue going quickest. They all have a limited lifespan... But they've improved the tech over time, increasing that lifespan.

Best way to avoid? Keep the brightness at the lowest level that works for you.

There are all these other tricks, but I'm not a big fan of reducing your experience in order to extend your experience. It's like buying a Ferrari and never taking a hard turn in order to save the tires.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have had a good amount of AMOLED devices -- I haven't hit this issue. I do swap often (or used to) so maybe that is why but I also don't keep my screen sitting on the same spot for long periods of time. I either am in an app doing stuff, watching media, or I just lock the phone to shut the screen off. I don't see a reason to leave it sitting.

mwest316

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I have had a good amount of AMOLED devices -- I haven't hit this issue. I do swap often (or used to) so maybe that is why but I also don't keep my screen sitting on the same spot for long periods of time. I either am in an app doing stuff, watching media, or I just lock the phone to shut the screen off. I don't see a reason to leave it sitting.

But the "leave it sitting" you are referring to has to do with the navigation bar.. to combat it "sitting for a long period of time" I have to use GMD Immersive to make it go away while I am using any app where it would "sit" underneath..

mwest316

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Burn in is such a bad term... Misleading carry-over from the days of cathode ray tubes where the electron beam would literally burn into the phosphor layer in the inside of the screen.

AMOLED 'burn' is really the diodes wearing out and losing their ability to produce light. They slowly degrade, and colors degrade at different rates, with blue going quickest. They all have a limited lifespan... But they've improved the tech over time, increasing that lifespan.

Best way to avoid? Keep the brightness at the lowest level that works for you.

There are all these other tricks, but I'm not a big fan of reducing your experience in order to extend your experience. It's like buying a Ferrari and never taking a hard turn in order to save the tires.

Maybe I just had a faulty device, but I am not taking any chances with my replacement. I have used so many smart phones in the past with brightness always pretty high and this is the first time I have had this problem, it just sucks that it is on the coveted Pixel XL..

mwest316

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
And to piggyback off the GMD Immersive app, the more I use it the more it starts to become kind of a pain.. It doesn't always work right, probably because it is so out-dated, but sometimes the navbar and status bar disappear when I have it set to not and then just the opposite to where I tell it to..

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I just had a faulty device, but I am not taking any chances with my replacement. I have used so many smart phones in the past with brightness always pretty high and this is the first time I have had this problem, it just sucks that it is on the coveted Pixel XL..
Oh, there is nothing wrong with being prudent. I rarely have my brightness slider past 50% on my 6P.. it's a mileage thing with those diodes. At full blast, your counting down much quicker than turned down, even a little.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
And to piggyback off the GMD Immersive app, the more I use it the more it starts to become kind of a pain.. It doesn't always work right, probably because it is so out-dated, but sometimes the navbar and status bar disappear when I have it set to not and then just the opposite to where I tell it to..

Yeah... I've used some of those immersive apps before and they end up getting in the way and you end up cursing having to fuss with things to get the bar back. If anyone wants to go that route, I would suggest you take a different tact. Hide the nav bar and use something like the LMT launcher... just a different version of the PIE controls that were popular back in the day. That replaces the nav bar with a floating semi-circle nav wheel that you customize to your liking.

Though, I have no idea what the state of that app is at the moment, and it really needs root to function properly (though, hiding your nav bar isn't exactly easy without root anyhow)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE