Who came from an iPhone ? Thoughts ?

manni1to

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Thinking about switching from an iPhone 7 plus on att to a google pixel xl on Verizon. Has anyone switched to the pixel from the iPhone 7 or 7 plus ? What are your thoughts ?!

peter nde63h

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I used iPhone se before. I was bored about iOS so I switched to android. I am using pixel 32 silver now. the system is smooth and responsive. google assistant is smarter than Siri. though I miss the assistive touch in iOS, I am very satisfied with the pixel.

peter nde63h

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
main differences you will notice if you switch from iPhone to pixel

1, no assistive touch
2, icons on home screen are shortcuts, deleting them doesn't mean deleting the apps
3, it seems there is no method to re-arrange the order of apps in the app list
4, Wi-Fi hotspot will not automatically stop even if you don't have any device connecting to the pixel via Wi-Fi
5, android pay requires your fingerprint at the setup process only, not during transactions

the list will go on as long as I notice more.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Thinking about switching from an iPhone 7 plus on att to a google pixel xl on Verizon. Has anyone switched to the pixel from the iPhone 7 or 7 plus ? What are your thoughts ?!

I've used both over the years. Still use both. These are the things I miss from my iPhone when I'm using my pixel or another Android phone:

•iMessage. It's tops, nothing comes close. Google needs to step their game up and copy iMessage wholesale. And it needs to be cross platform and stay in sync across those devices. So not allo.

•3D Touch. Thought it would be a dumb gimmick when it launched. I use it all the time and genuinely miss it on Android.

•Apple Watch/Apple TV. They are great and there isn't anything that comes close as an equivalent for Android.

•Apple ecosystem. Being able to use imessage on my iPad and SMS from it are awesome. Also apple watch is much better than anything that will work with Android phone. The only watch that comes close is the S3 frontier watch.

Other than that I love Android. Reasons I like Android:

•Notifications. Android has always done these better. No stupid badges and quick reply is great. I also like that Android notifications just slide in on the notification bar. They don't cover up the entire top of the screen.

•File System. I love having access to the file system so I can move my stuff around as I see fit. Even more useful if you have a phone with sd card support.

•Customizability. I can make and set my own ringtones easily. I don't have to do a stupid dance with iTunes to do something simple. I can also place my icons anywhere I want on my phone. Because of this I can actually see and enjoy my wallpaper. Imagine. Oh and I get rid of the launcher if I don't like the one that comes on my phone. Which leads me to..

•Changing default apps. Don't like the launcher? Change it. SMS app lacking? Change it. And so on.

•split window multitasking. For whatever reason apple has this on the iPad but not the iPhone.

•I love that I can search for businesses phone numbers from the dialer. So cool.

•i don't have to ever use iTunes.

•hardware choices.

•Google assistant on the pixel is MUCH better than Siri. Google assistant always gets my request right the first time.

Sorry for the long post.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I've used both over the years. Still use both. These are the things I miss from my iPhone when I'm using my pixel or another Android phone:

•iMessage. It's tops, nothing comes close. Google needs to step their game up and copy iMessage wholesale. And it needs to be cross platform and stay in sync across those devices. So not allo.

•3D Touch. Thought it would be a dumb gimmick when it launched. I use it all the time and genuinely miss it on Android.

•Apple Watch/Apple TV. They are great and there isn't anything that comes close as an equivalent for Android.

•Apple ecosystem. Being able to use imessage on my iPad and SMS from it are awesome. Also apple watch is much better than anything that will work with Android phone. The only watch that comes close is the S3 frontier watch.

Other than that I love Android. Reasons I like Android:

•Notifications. Android has always done these better. No stupid badges and quick reply is great. I also like that Android notifications just slide in on the notification bar. They don't cover up the entire top of the screen.

•File System. I love having access to the file system so I can move my stuff around as I see fit. Even more useful if you have a phone with sd card support.

•Customizability. I can make and set my own ringtones easily. I don't have to do a stupid dance with iTunes to do something simple. I can also place my icons anywhere I want on my phone. Because of this I can actually see and enjoy my wallpaper. Imagine. Oh and I get rid of the launcher if I don't like the one that comes on my phone. Which leads me to..

•Changing default apps. Don't like the launcher? Change it. SMS app lacking? Change it. And so on.

•split window multitasking. For whatever reason apple has this on the iPad but not the iPhone.

•I love that I can search for businesses phone numbers from the dialer. So cool.

•hardware choices.

•Google assistant on the pixel is MUCH better than Siri. Google assistant always gets my request right the first time.

Sorry for the long post.

The Gear S3 blows the Apple Watch out of the water. 4G LTE connectivity, better design, better battery life, and Samsung Pay - not restricted to places that only accept NFC payment.

As for differences from IPhone, the only major one I see is iMessage. Other than that, 7.1.1 blows away iOS. And there are long-press shortcuts similar to 3D Touch on the Pixel. I had a 6s Plus with 3D Touch and never used it. I don't use it on the Pixel either.

Jack Murphy2

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
I just switched from an iPhone 7 to a google pixel XL on Friday night. Loving it so far!! I use Allo and it isn't a direct iMessage replacement by any means but it is awesome and I really enjoy it. Sucks the other person has to have it too but my wife was willing to try it and is now hooked. I love this phone more than my iPhone and I had been with Apple since the 4s. I had android before that and sprinkled in after. I always enjoyed Android more BUT I never found a phone that i really loved that wasn't plagued with bloat ware or skins. Loved the S7 edge and the Note 7. Edge was awesome but I couldn't get down on the bloatware and well we all know what happened with the Note 7. After that I got my iPhone, was kind of happy and then the Pixel came out and I really wanted to switch. I love the instant updates and not having to wait for software. Lots of cool other features that my iPhone did/ didn't have that I enjoy. I can get into it more if you would like.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The flexibility of customizing stuff to your liking will be a pleasant surprise on the Pixel XL. Also the camera is stellar, you will be quite happy with it.
Notifications is where Android shines versus any other mobile OS. I use WhatsApp and so do most of my contacts so I really do not miss the hoopla around iMessage.

Good luck.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something but what's better about Android notifications?
Personally I like how I have icons in the top left so I know what I've addressed or haven't addressed. With Apple you have to go into the shade each time to see.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
The Gear S3 blows the Apple Watch out of the water. 4G LTE connectivity, better design, better battery life, and Samsung Pay - not restricted to places that only accept NFC payment.

As for differences from IPhone, the only major one I see is iMessage. Other than that, 7.1.1 blows away iOS. And there are long-press shortcuts similar to 3D Touch on the Pixel. I had a 6s Plus with 3D Touch and never used it. I don't use it on the Pixel either.

Disagree. The S3 is the best watch for Android. It's smooth and has a great UI.

But it is not better than the Apple watch. At least in my opinion. The Apple watch is faster, more stable and has a superior selection of apps.

peter nde63h

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
one more thing: android have too many options in customization. it sometimes make it looks complicated. iOS doesn't have much for you to customize and I have got used to it so I don't know how to decide which option I should choose when I first come from iPhone to pixel.

Bertolus

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Personally I like how I have icons in the top left so I know what I've addressed or haven't addressed. With Apple you have to go into the shade each time to see.

With iOS you have notifications bubbles on each icon. I hate it, when the task bar is cluttered with symbols on Android.

Bertolus

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I can't find any advantages of Android over iOS in this article. In my mind the notifications are about the same after Google has copied iOS ability to instantly answer a message with Nougat.
That is your opinion. After using both systems I find much more use out of Android notifications than iOS. When I use iOS I actually never even swipe down the notification center because it isn't even needed if you have the badge counts on the apps. It is a mess of grouped repetition.

To each is own, I love Android!

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

I'm really not sure why people keep saying this like it's an advantage for Android. I've had an iPhone 6s Plus since launch and I literally never use iTunes. I have 70GB of music on my phone and I didn't use iTunes to load any of it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc