:-( Is my Pixel a Lemon?

lilsunsprite

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I want to love this phone, I am a huge android fan. This phone was supposed to be the pure clean Android experience.
I am so discouraged by my Pixel that I am questioning the O.S. (but the alternative is unacceptable.) Waiting for a replacement phone, hoping I just got a lemon. Freezing on simple tasks, phone working on and off, mostly off. texting wasn't even working much. :mad::':)( I use very few apps, and have used the same ones since I got my first Android. I am so disappointed. Is it only me? has anyone else had rotten luck with this phone? (I am hoping it is just this one....)

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: :'(

I want to love this phone, I am a huge android fan. This phone was supposed to be the pure clean Android experience.
I am so discouraged by my Pixel that I am questioning the O.S. (but the alternative is unacceptable.) Waiting for a replacement phone, hoping I just got a lemon. Freezing on simple tasks, phone working on and off, mostly off. texting wasn't even working much. :mad::':)( I use very few apps, and have used the same ones since I got my first Android. I am so disappointed. Is it only me? has anyone else had rotten luck with this phone? (I am hoping it is just this one....)

Sounds like you got a lemon. I'm sorry. I wasn't a fan of the Pixel's hardware, but the software experience was the best I've used since iOS 10. Everything was fast--the animations, the scrolling, the launching of apps--that sometimes I can see why people love these phones. Hopefully you'll get a replacement soon!

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: :'(

That's unfortunate,but don't let it ruin the experience of Android. Let us know how the new phone is!

lilsunsprite

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I did one back in December because it kept freezing. I have done 3 this month including one today. :/ I always try that as a last resort, and I confess that Pixel makes it easier to reset stuff than any other phone I have had, but still not working properly. I also didn't restore any of the apps until tonight, it didn't make a difference though.

Last edited:

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I did one back in December because it kept freezing. I have done 3 this month including one today. :/ I always try that as a last resort, and I confess that Pixel makes it easier to reset stuff than any other phone I have had, but still not working properly. I also didn't restore any of the apps until tonight, it didn't make a difference though.

Damn. Well I really hope your next one works out! Please let us know

lilsunsprite

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
When I try to call out, the do not disturb turns on, and the signal goes to zero bars. soon as I hang up, it goes away, and the bars come back. seems like it would be a software thing, but then everyone would have it going on, so...

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Sorry you got a lemon! But i think you will have a different experience with the replacement.
Google really nailed the user experience with the blending of software and hardware on the Pixel. Post back and let us know how it goes....when does the replacement come in?

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
When I try to call out, the do not disturb turns on, and the signal goes to zero bars. soon as I hang up, it goes away, and the bars come back. seems like it would be a software thing, but then everyone would have it going on, so...

The do not disturb comes on automatically for phone calls. There is no way to alter those settings. As far as the hollow bar issue is concerned, a lot of users including myself experience that as well. Google knows about it and Verizon also knows about it (I am on Verizon) and experience the same issues. Hopefully a fix might come sometime but not sure

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

I can assure you its not a lemon, is definitely a smartphone. Lol sorry terrible joke :D

A friend of mine owns the Pixel and the phone is so so fast. i had the privilege of playing with it for a little while. Even loading snapchat its almost instant. There is no sign of lag anywhere even with many Apps open. I have a feel that you might have just gotten a 'Lemon'. Hopefully your next Pixel is awesome like it should be :D

Do let us know how the new device performs.

lilsunsprite

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I got the refurbished Pixel today, and right out of the box first call I tried to make, it didn't go through the first couple tries. then it did and I have taken some deep breathes of relief. It wants to do an update, and I am afraid to let it... I have read of many people having my issue after the Feb. update. Anyone here heard of that? (I am so glad to have a decent phone after slumming it with a $50 almost no memory ZTE z831. But at least the phone worked!!!) Any advice is appreciated!

Rocky5000100

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Do the update.

Glad your phone is working. I'm very confident your replacement won't experience the freezing issues anymore.

Question, does the refurbished phone look new?

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Go ahead with the update. If it causes issues, open a ticket and address it right away. It is not clear to me that the issues people are reporting are really with the update as opposed to something else we've yet to realize. By way of example, I had the Bluetooth issue a weekend before I got the update and only had the issue once since I had the update.

lilsunsprite

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
YES it does look new Rocky5000100 , I was VERY impressed. I am hoping that this one will be issue free, I really love everything about it, but since my cell pone is my only phone, it is important that the phone works too :)

lilsunsprite

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I was having issues again with the Pixel. Since I am on GSM network instead of CDMA, at&t told me it may be affecting my phone. I had them put in a new SIM though, and it is working great!