For those with 32GB Pixel/Pixel Xl is it enough?

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
So for those of you who have a 32GB Pixel/Pixel XL are you OK on storage? I have a galaxy S7 edge right now and I am thinking about a Pixel XL in the next month or so and I am debating between the 32 and 128GB phone. My S7 edge is a 32GB phone and I am using 27.8GB on that but that is mostly pics/videos which I can put on the cloud and don't really need access to them all the time anyway. The 128GB phone would be way too much space I would never come close to using it plus the availability issue with them. I'm thinking of going 32GB this time around d and hope for a 64GB on the next pixel.

I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the 32GB phone. I stream all my music so no music storage is needed. My storage is all apps or pics/videos.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
So for those of you who have a 32GB Pixel/Pixel XL are you OK on storage? I have a galaxy S7 edge right now and I am thinking about a Pixel XL in the next month or so and I am debating between the 32 and 128GB phone. My S7 edge is a 32GB phone and I am using 27.8GB on that but that is mostly pics/videos which I can put on the cloud and don't really need access to them all the time anyway. The 128GB phone would be way too much space I would never come close to using it plus the availability issue with them. I'm thinking of going 32GB this time around d and hope for a 64GB on the next pixel.

I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the 32GB phone. I stream all my music so no music storage is needed. My storage is all apps or pics/videos.
The 32GB for me is more than enough. I also have an s7 edge and have a 128GB SD card in it just because I can. The pixel having unlimited cloud storage for photos and video is why I went with the 32GB. I have 133 apps installed on my pixel and only used 15GB. I stream Google play music and store my music to the Google music cloud so I dont need any more space than the 32Gb.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Also another question for those that do store their pictures in the cloud does it use a lot of data to look at or access your pictures? Have you noticed an increase in data usage? I know I could set it to sync only on wifi

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Also another question for those that do store their pictures in the cloud does it use a lot of data to look at or access your pictures? Have you noticed an increase in data usage? I know I could set it to sync only on wifi
No extra data usage. It only syncs when connected to wifi for me and I am mostly on wifi anyway.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
If you stream music, then 32gb is more than enough. I have a 32gb Pixel XL, and after all apps are installed I still have 20gb left.

blackhemi4x4

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I got the 32 gig, I stream music and sync pictures to Cloud and as all right for what I need a phone for. Every so often I'll have to clear out my documents and download folder

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I know that you only solicited advice from 32gb owners but I wanted to chime in anyway to say that I'm sure that like me, many 128gb owners purchased the larger storage option for the peace of mind of not having to deal with low available storage at the most inopportune time. I have several playlists downloaded from both Spotify and Play Music as well as a few games plus photos. Currently at 40gb. I could just rely on cloud to come under 32gb but I hate having to deal with bandwidth and slow connections. Last thing I wanted to have to deal with was losing a moment on video or a photo because I had to delete stuff in order to shoot. No regrets paying the extra 100 bucks.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site

I agree with all of your points and would probably go for the 128 if it's available in a couple months when I am uograding my phone. I just don't want to to have to wait months to get the phone. I don't care about the extra $100 it's more the availability

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Based on your description of current storage needs, the 32GB should be more than fine. Obviously there could be situations where the 128GB's additional capacity would be helpful, but if you haven't found yourself hampered at 32GB to date, you probably won't ever see them - especially given how much room you'll save offloading photos/videos.

I've had no issues with mine, and carry stamp-size MicroSD card reader with a USB-C connection on my keychain (with a 128GB card) that works fine if I need more storage when traveling if I want to load up a few movies, etc. Not quite as convenient in that it isn't built into the device, but easy to get, makes it easy to transfer files with other devices/pc's, and a fraction of the cost - though in fairness to the 128GB model's cost/value, it's worth pointing out that you will get back a decent chunk of its $100 initial investment if you sell it in a year or two to upgrade to the 'next great thing.'

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Based on your description of current storage needs, the 32GB should be more than fine. Obviously there could be situations where the 128GB's additional capacity would be helpful, but if you haven't found yourself hampered at 32GB to date, you probably won't ever see them - especially given how much room you'll save offloading photos/videos.

I've had no issues with mine, and carry stamp-size MicroSD card reader with a USB-C connection on my keychain (with a 128GB card) that works fine if I need more storage when traveling if I want to load up a few movies, etc. Not quite as convenient in that it isn't built into the device, but easy to get, makes it easy to transfer files with other devices/pc's, and a fraction of the cost - though in fairness to the 128GB model's cost/value, it's worth pointing out that you will get back a decent chunk of its $100 initial investment if you sell it in a year or two to upgrade to the 'next great thing.'

That stamp sized microSD card reader sounds interesting. Who makes that? I have a microSD card in my S7 Edge just because I can but have never used it.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
32 is more than enough for me.. I use Chromebooks though and am very use to using cloud storage. With unlimited Google photo storage you are down to apps and music. It's pretty easy to manage playlist and download only what you want and need.. I have about 5GB of music on mine and a few hundred photos saved to Google photos. I probably have 50 apps and still have plenty of wiggle room..

With the free unlimited photo storage and by spending a few seconds managing the cloud most can easily get by with 32 in my opinion.... Some don't want to bother managing cloud and some just want that warm and fuzzy of seeing a bunch of available space.. I also assume there are a few very heavy power users who'd need more but they are probably in the minority in my opinion..

If you are worried about it get the 128 but I'd guess that most could get by with 32, all things considered..

My .02

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

1 more thing to note is Samsung phone use 8-9 gb of storage for system but Pixel only uses about 4-5 Gb. So u r effectively getting 3- 3.5 gb of storage for ur personal use.

btw, 32 is more than enough for me. I have play music subscription and i downloaded about 5 gb songs. I also use google photos at high quality. It only download thumbnails when u set it up but when u view it might use the actual data. I have not seen any data usage spike for google photos since i dont open 1000s of photos

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a 32. I am using 15.9 GB out of 29.7 GB after everything is said and done. I'm am sitting quite well with storage. I only carry a out 4 GB for music. Everything else is stored in Photos. I usually clear out space once every couple months.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
1 more thing to note is Samsung phone use 8-9 gb of storage for system but Pixel only uses about 4-5 Gb. So u r effectively getting 3- 3.5 gb of storage for ur personal use.

btw, 32 is more than enough for me. I have play music subscription and i downloaded about 5 gb songs. I also use google photos at high quality. It only download thumbnails when u set it up but when u view it might use the actual data. I have not seen any data usage spike for google photos since i dont open 1000s of photos

That is a good point on the system memory. My S7 Edge is using 9.23GB for system memory storage so essentially the way I am sitting now if I did keep all my pictures and videos on my phone I would have 7-7..5GB of free space instead of 4GB like I do now but I know I will keep my videos in cloud for sure because I almost never view them on my phone. It is really more of a hoarding thing and knowing I have access to them if I need them. The same goes for most of my older pictures I just like having access to them if I need them so I will just offload most of them to the cloud.

So that actually brings up another question can you chose to have certain pictures downloaded to the phone and stored locally vs in the cloud so if you are going to access them more often you aren't using data?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
That is a good point on the system memory. My S7 Edge is using 9.23GB for system memory storage so essentially the way I am sitting now if I did keep all my pictures and videos on my phone I would have 7-7..5GB of free space instead of 4GB like I do now but I know I will keep my videos in cloud for sure because I almost never view them on my phone. It is really more of a hoarding thing and knowing I have access to them if I need them. The same goes for most of my older pictures I just like having access to them if I need them so I will just offload most of them to the cloud.

So that actually brings up another question can you chose to have certain pictures downloaded to the phone and stored locally vs in the cloud so if you are going to access them more often you aren't using data?

i checked my nexus and its 4.5 gb for system so u r saving 4.5 gb if samsung uses 9.23gb.

about download no i dont think it let you pick what u want offline(but u can manually download individual or album) but it will download all images as a thumbnail when u open photos app.
you have to scroll through all your photos and it keeps a copy of your photo thumbnail and that won't use any data when u use it later.
but when u click the thumbnail it will go fetch high quality image

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
i checked my nexus and its 4.5 gb for system so u r saving 4.5 gb if samsung uses 9.23gb.

about download no i dont think it let you pick what u want offline(but u can manually download individual or album) but it will download all images as a thumbnail when u open photos app.
you have to scroll through all your photos and it keeps a copy of your photo thumbnail and that won't use any data when u use it later.
but when u click the thumbnail it will go fetch high quality image

That is perfect then. I think the 32GB will be fine. If the 128GB is available at the time I will get that one just because it will only be $4/month more on the payment plans on verizon. But it's good to know that I can easily get away with the 32GB

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
The 128 GB pixel only has 119 GB free right out of the box, so I'm assuming the 32 GB unit has 23 GB. Is this true?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star