Buy a Pixel XL now or wait for G6/S8

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Currently have a Pixel. It's the best phone I've ever had and I've had em all. Don't wait. Life is too short. Get an XL now and enjoy the crap out of it. If you like the new XL, sell it and get that one.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Pulled the trigger on swappa last night. Couldn't resist. If the S8 is compelling, I'll swap. I agree. Life is too short. Can't wait to get it. Thanks for the replies.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I've been eyeing pixel xls for several weeks. I am currently using an IP7+ which I like but like many here, I like to change it up. I've lost out on several phones on CL and Swappa because the prices are inflated due to a lack of demand. Used XL 32s in "good condition" are fetching well over 650 locally and on Swappa. My target price is $600 which ought to be enough for a now 6 month old phone.

In any event, with MWC on the horizon and the G6 coming out in a few weeks with the S8 to follow, would you wait for the new 2017s or pull the trigger on a Pixel XL? I'm sure the resale on the Pixel XL will start to fall once these new phones come out and supply catches up. I'm most interested in whether folks think the G6/S8 will offer any upgrades over the Pixel XL? Will I regret forking over $650 for a used Pixel XL 32 in merely "good" condition? Thanks.

I would say keep your iPhone 7 Plus. It holds retail value much more than any other Samsung device.

I think the Galaxy S8 will be faster in terms of loading times for games but for the average person using the phone. They won't notice any difference. I don't think spending $650 on a Pixel will be worth it. Even if the performance is slightly better. its not $650 better. Im sure everything is already very quick on your iPhone 7 :D

BUT

If you really really want the Pixel, then its worth it. Rather happy than sitting with a phone and wishing you had something else :)

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I would say keep your iPhone 7 Plus. It holds retail value much more than any other Samsung device.

I think the Galaxy S8 will be faster in terms of loading times for games but for the average person using the phone. They won't notice any difference. I don't think spending $650 on a Pixel will be worth it. Even if the performance is slightly better. its not $650 better. Im sure everything is already very quick on your iPhone 7 :D

BUT

If you really really want the Pixel, then its worth it. Rather happy than sitting with a phone and wishing you had something else :)
I think the pixel is well worth $650. It may have some shortcomings compared to their flagships, but all around it is the best Android device I have ever used to date. The software experience and battery life alone is worth the price.
Pulled the trigger on swappa last night. Couldn't resist. If the S8 is compelling, I'll swap. I agree. Life is too short. Can't wait to get it. Thanks for the replies.
Awesome! Good for you, it won't disappoint!

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Did you pay through the nose for the Pixel XL? The used prices are crazy. I feel like the minute I pay $650 the bottom will fall out on these.

I don't think these Pixel phones will depreciate as much as other Android phones, largely due to their "iPhoneness". The support and build quality are the best in the industry. If you can find a really Blue one, they seem to have a slightly higher resell value. Even the others are selling at respectable amounts on Swappa. In that aspect it is very iPhone like.

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I'd wait & I don't think you'll regret it. You would think prices might drop after a wave of new releases from MWC. You can also have fun comparing the G6 to the S8, to the Pixel XL & any other new models that get released also. The Mate 9 is another very good recent release & you can't forget about the P10 that's coming out.

datafiend

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I really want a Pixel but I'm getting tired of playing the waiting game, if I can't purchase one by the time the HTC U Ultra is released, I will just get that.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I've been eyeing pixel xls for several weeks. I am currently using an IP7+ which I like but like many here, I like to change it up. I've lost out on several phones on CL and Swappa because the prices are inflated due to a lack of demand. Used XL 32s in "good condition" are fetching well over 650 locally and on Swappa. My target price is $600 which ought to be enough for a now 6 month old phone.

In any event, with MWC on the horizon and the G6 coming out in a few weeks with the S8 to follow, would you wait for the new 2017s or pull the trigger on a Pixel XL? I'm sure the resale on the Pixel XL will start to fall once these new phones come out and supply catches up. I'm most interested in whether folks think the G6/S8 will offer any upgrades over the Pixel XL? Will I regret forking over $650 for a used Pixel XL 32 in merely "good" condition? Thanks.

Oh god. The Samsung Galaxy S8 is going to be so much better than the Pixel. Wait a few more weeks. If you're going to drop that kind of money, might as well buy the latest and greatest.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Oh god. The Samsung Galaxy S8 is going to be so much better than the Pixel. Wait a few more weeks. If you're going to drop that kind of money, might as well buy the latest and greatest.
Is it?
Don't know anything about display quality, but their track record is good. Screen aspect ratio could be problematic. We'll see soon.
Don't know anything about camera, but their track record is good.
SoC sounds awesome. Same RAM with smaller storage.
Still much worse software and security.
No news about audio.
Don't have any battery life data yet.
No word on whether or not they support seamless updates.
Still glass body (this may be a positive for some people).

TLDR we either don't have any information or what we know keeps it subpar on critical features.

I personally think the S8 will be awesome, but can't claim to know anything about it until it's at least announced and reviewed.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Is it?
Don't know anything about display quality, but their track record is good. Screen aspect ratio could be problematic. We'll see soon.
Don't know anything about camera, but their track record is good.
SoC sounds awesome. Same RAM with smaller storage.
Still much worse software and security.
No news about audio.
Don't have any battery life data yet.
No word on whether or not they support seamless updates.
Still glass body (this may be a positive for some people).

TLDR we either don't have any information or what we know keeps it subpar on critical features.

I personally think the S8 will be awesome, but can't claim to know anything about it until it's at least announced and reviewed.

I don't need to go to Sudan to know it's a terrible place but I know it's a terrible place.

Don't need it to be reviewed to know it's going to be better. Here's why (vs Pixel):
It's going to have a better processor, which means better cellular connectivity and better power management
It'll have a better screen to body ratio
Audio will probably be on par with the S7 edge
Battery life should be stellar
Glass body = wireless charging
It'll have IP68 rating, which is better than IP53
Samsung Pay

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't need to go to Sudan to know it's a terrible place but I know it's a terrible place.

Don't need it to be reviewed to know it's going to be better. Here's why (vs Pixel):
It's going to have a better processor, which means better cellular connectivity and better power management
It'll have a better screen to body ratio
Audio will probably be on par with the S7 edge
Battery life should be stellar
Glass body = wireless charging
It'll have IP68 rating, which is better than IP53
Samsung Pay

So it'll be likely to do well on features you prefer :) The glass, Samsung pay and S7's audio would be negatives to me (I think you're wrong on Audio, I think it'll be MUCH better than the S7) - and the screen to body ratio isn't a thing that I think we'd agree on. I'm still excited to see what they do here because it'll be the best Sammy phone yet, that doesn't mean that (IMO) it'll necessarily be the best phone yet.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I have an S7 and as much as I like it, I want Nougat but it's not getting to the unlocked phones yet. I had a Pixel Xl and sold it and wish I hadn't. I've been looking at Pixels (5") too and the price for a Mint Condition one in 32 GB is outrageous. They were around $500 and now are up to $550. That being said I am not getting another Sammy. I think the G6 might work if Verizon has a good trade in deal for my S7

Why would you buy a phone that you know will not get the latest software update until the next version of the phone comes out? I'd think that anyone who buys other than a Nexus or Pixel device would NEVER consider software updates to be important. And, it's no secret that OEMs will take anywhere from 3 to 6 months to update their software. In fact, during the life cycle of many non Nexus devices, it's safe to say that those phones are NEVER running the latest version of Android.

The logic defies me. Let me say this real clear. If software updates are important to you, then buy a Pixel device, otherwise, don't ever complain about software updates because it just sounds silly. Everyone who posts comments in these forums knows that non Pixel OEMs will never get timely updates. NEVER!

Paulmac0957

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
If you can catch Verizon when they have a special on the XL wait for that. Around the holidays in December they had a special on the 128GB XL. They were offering it for $20.00 a month for 24 months, and lower with a trade in. So I took advantage of that. And even though it was going to a month of so before I was supposed to get the phone. I actually got it in a little over 2 weeks. No looking back now. Love the phone, and the fact that it has no carrier software on it.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
The fact that the pixel doesn't have carrier software and isn't held ransom from the carriers on updates.

I will never go back to a carrier centric phone..

I've been with all the major carriers and had a ton of phones.

Pixel has a certain "skill set" that carrier based phones will never achieve

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
If I were to get an S8 it would be the plus variant but the screen to body ratio scares me. One handed operation will be problematic when having to reach the furthest corners of the screen. I believe that I am in the minority of people who appreciates the large top and bottom bezels of the Pixel which makes holding the device one handed in landscape easier and elevates the lower edge of the screen in portrait orientation to make reaching the bottom of the keyboard easier.

I have no doubt that the S8s will raise the bar once again, that's simply the natural progression of these devices. Having jumped from Nexus to Samsung and back in the past though I am happy to be back on a device that I can easily root and apply frequent updates to.

ainfinity

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
The tech is always going to get better and it would be difficult to ignore killer features with newer phones rolling out. But a solid OS solution is also a draw, which is why I chose the Pixel XL, too much fragmentation out there.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
If I were to get an S8 it would be the plus variant but the screen to body ratio scares me. One handed operation will be problematic when having to reach the furthest corners of the screen. I believe that I am in the minority of people who appreciates the large top and bottom bezels of the Pixel which makes holding the device one handed in landscape easier and elevates the lower edge of the screen in portrait orientation to make reaching the bottom of the keyboard easier.

I have no doubt that the S8s will raise the bar once again, that's simply the natural progression of these devices. Having jumped from Nexus to Samsung and back in the past though I am happy to be back on a device that I can easily root and apply frequent updates to.
That's how I felt about my s7 edge, but finally decided that I will be happier with a phone that has absolute zero lag, no carrier bloat, frequent security and software updates, oh and a ridiculously amazing camera. After all is said and done the s7 all around specs and features wise (SD card, ip68, wireless charging, quad HD display) is the best flagship phone but software experience and performance is more important to me now.

Samsung will never change, they will always feature the best of the best specs but their software is not good and their battery life will always be crap.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2