03-18-2017 10:02 AM
63 123
tools
    I've been eyeing pixel xls for several weeks. I am currently using an IP7+ which I like but like many here, I like to change it up. I've lost out on several phones on CL and Swappa because the prices are inflated due to a lack of demand. Used XL 32s in "good condition" are fetching well over 650 locally and on Swappa. My target price is $600 which ought to be enough for a now 6 month old phone.

In any event, with MWC on the horizon and the G6 coming out in a few weeks with the S8 to follow, would you wait for the new 2017s or pull the trigger on a Pixel XL? I'm sure the resale on the Pixel XL will start to fall once these new phones come out and supply catches up. I'm most interested in whether folks think the G6/S8 will offer any upgrades over the Pixel XL? Will I regret forking over $650 for a used Pixel XL 32 in merely "good" condition? Thanks.
    02-23-2017 11:46 AM
    Edit: "Lack of Supply". Err.
    milehigherik likes this.
    02-23-2017 12:01 PM
    I was in the same boat. Got rid of my 7+ a week ago and got the pixel xl with Verizon. I love it. I am still nervous about Samsung phones with the note 7 issues.
    02-23-2017 01:08 PM
    I have an S7 Edge and I was thinking the same. I have decided to go with a Pixel XL in a month when I can upgrade. I am also a little worried about Samsung with the note 7 issue . I also like the software aspect of the pixel being pure android.
    02-23-2017 01:15 PM
    Did you pay through the nose for the Pixel XL? The used prices are crazy. I feel like the minute I pay $650 the bottom will fall out on these.
    02-23-2017 01:22 PM
    I never realized many people switched phones so often until I got onto these forums. I usually get a phone at the carrier store and then keep it 2 - 3 years, getting rid of it once it's gone 1 update too far or a new phone I really like comes out.

That said, I think you've probably got a full year before the prices on the XL and the 128 standard drop significantly. If you enjoy android in its un-messed-with state without having to jailbreak the phone, why not pick up an XL now and flip it in 6 months or whenever the new shiny phone comes out that gets your attention? I can't imagine you'd lose too much if you take care of your phones, then you'll have around $400-$500 to put down on your phone.

I may be over estimating the phone market, but Google seems to be playing it cautious with the pixel despite its better-than-expected popularity so I doubt there will be a sudden flood of inventory.
    anon(10092459) likes this.
    02-23-2017 02:16 PM
    I've been eyeing pixel xls for several weeks. I am currently using an IP7+ which I like but like many here, I like to change it up. I've lost out on several phones on CL and Swappa because the prices are inflated due to a lack of demand. Used XL 32s in "good condition" are fetching well over 650 locally and on Swappa. My target price is $600 which ought to be enough for a now 6 month old phone.

In any event, with MWC on the horizon and the G6 coming out in a few weeks with the S8 to follow, would you wait for the new 2017s or pull the trigger on a Pixel XL? I'm sure the resale on the Pixel XL will start to fall once these new phones come out and supply catches up. I'm most interested in whether folks think the G6/S8 will offer any upgrades over the Pixel XL? Will I regret forking over $650 for a used Pixel XL 32 in merely "good" condition? Thanks.
    I love my Pixel and think it is by far the best phone I've ever owned. That being said, if from the leaks we've had so far the G6 and S8 look like phones you'd be interested in then you should wait until they come out and you can do a comparison. The Pixel will still be around and like you said the price will probably fall. So unless you're in desperate need of a new phone I'd advise waiting.
    02-23-2017 04:49 PM
    Desperate no. That's not the issue. The issue is my never ending need for new gadgets even if there likely is no appreciable difference between the Pixel XL and IP7+ other than it's new and different to me. I have a disease.
    lilmama88 and nokia4life like this.
    02-23-2017 04:58 PM
    Hell.... I would just wait for the PIXEL2 XL!
    02-23-2017 05:02 PM
    If you're asking this it sounds like you have doubts. Wait and see what the others offer then decide. .
    libra89 likes this.
    02-23-2017 05:10 PM
    Wait.
    02-23-2017 05:16 PM
    Desperate no. That's not the issue. The issue is my never ending need for new gadgets even if there likely is no appreciable difference between the Pixel XL and IP7+ other than it's new and different to me. I have a disease.
    You need a support group. Perhaps we should start one here at AC. I think there would be no shortage of members lol.
    02-23-2017 05:28 PM
    You need a support group. Perhaps we should start one here at AC. I think there would be no shortage of members lol.
    Yeah, that's true. Haha. Me included.
    OP, if your budget is $600.00, you are very unlikely to be able to afford either of the two new flagships that you have mentioned, when they start shipping.
    sydneycooper1979 likes this.
    02-23-2017 05:33 PM
    My budget isn't $600 per se but I fell like $600 is the max I should pay for used pixel xl. I'm having a hard time swallowing $650 to $700 for a used Pixel but that's the going rate. I've been watching them sell for that an more on Swappa for 2 weeks. Crazy.
    02-23-2017 05:41 PM
    Count me in. My wife is about to set up an intervention on my phone swapping.
    02-23-2017 07:39 PM
    My budget isn't $600 per se but I fell like $600 is the max I should pay for used pixel xl. I'm having a hard time swallowing $650 to $700 for a used Pixel but that's the going rate. I've been watching them sell for that an more on Swappa for 2 weeks. Crazy.
    I have an S7 and as much as I like it, I want Nougat but it's not getting to the unlocked phones yet. I had a Pixel Xl and sold it and wish I hadn't. I've been looking at Pixels (5") too and the price for a Mint Condition one in 32 GB is outrageous. They were around $500 and now are up to $550. That being said I am not getting another Sammy. I think the G6 might work if Verizon has a good trade in deal for my S7
    02-23-2017 07:43 PM
    Personally, I would wait for the Pixel 2 and and maybe wait for discounted Pixel or XL. I don't think I can go back to a phone with bloatware and inconsistent phone. That's just me.
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    02-23-2017 07:46 PM
    Sammy is still 2 months out but the G6 is only a couple of weeks. Will it really cost much more than a 700 used pixel?
    02-23-2017 07:53 PM
    I'd wait on the Pixel 2 before I would waste money on a Samdung, or Unlucky Goldstar phone.
    02-23-2017 08:13 PM
    I would also wait.

Initially I wanted to replace my Nexus 6 by a Pixel, but first it's not available where I live (although there's always a way around that), and then I decided to wait for a Pixel 2 if I can manage.

I think (and this is purely subjective) that the Pixel 2 will be Google's true flagship, improving on many of the Pixel's shortcomings. If I can't manage to wait that long I will think about the Galaxy S8, but I'm not too keen on moving away from fast updates straight from Google.
    02-23-2017 11:02 PM
    Currently have a Pixel. It's the best phone I've ever had and I've had em all. Don't wait. Life is too short. Get an XL now and enjoy the crap out of it. If you like the new XL, sell it and get that one.
    anon(9227267) likes this.
    02-24-2017 12:46 AM
    Well, you may try to root the old phone and then flash a custom ROM or install the latest Android version 7.
    02-24-2017 03:17 AM
    Pulled the trigger on swappa last night. Couldn't resist. If the S8 is compelling, I'll swap. I agree. Life is too short. Can't wait to get it. Thanks for the replies.
    the tall guy and bnice like this.
    02-24-2017 06:44 AM

I would say keep your iPhone 7 Plus. It holds retail value much more than any other Samsung device.

I think the Galaxy S8 will be faster in terms of loading times for games but for the average person using the phone. They won't notice any difference. I don't think spending $650 on a Pixel will be worth it. Even if the performance is slightly better. its not $650 better. Im sure everything is already very quick on your iPhone 7

BUT

If you really really want the Pixel, then its worth it. Rather happy than sitting with a phone and wishing you had something else
    02-24-2017 07:17 AM
    I would say keep your iPhone 7 Plus. It holds retail value much more than any other Samsung device.

I think the Galaxy S8 will be faster in terms of loading times for games but for the average person using the phone. They won't notice any difference. I don't think spending $650 on a Pixel will be worth it. Even if the performance is slightly better. its not $650 better. Im sure everything is already very quick on your iPhone 7

BUT

If you really really want the Pixel, then its worth it. Rather happy than sitting with a phone and wishing you had something else
    I think the pixel is well worth $650. It may have some shortcomings compared to their flagships, but all around it is the best Android device I have ever used to date. The software experience and battery life alone is worth the price.
    Pulled the trigger on swappa last night. Couldn't resist. If the S8 is compelling, I'll swap. I agree. Life is too short. Can't wait to get it. Thanks for the replies.
    Awesome! Good for you, it won't disappoint!
    02-24-2017 09:55 AM
63 123