Is everybody still having problems with the Pixel XL

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
No problems here either with bluetooth, location services or connectivity in general. Works like a champ and handles what I throw at it while meeting my expectations for performance and battery life.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
If you want to research it a little further go on reddit or some of the other forums to see issues that users on those forums are experiencing as well. The majority on here are not encountering any issues but keep in mind there are other forums and other opinions out there as well.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If you want to research it a little further go on reddit or some of the other forums to see issues that users on those forums are experiencing as well. The majority on here are not encountering any issues but keep in mind there are other forums and other opinions out there as well.
Those places will have the exact same problem as the perception here which is the only people who are complaining are posting about the issues. Even if there were a thousand people that all had issues there would still be five or six million people with no issues. So that 1000 people can't represent everyone.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I'm not doubting what you're saying but the poster still has a 50/50 chance on either getting a phone that is problem free or a phone that has issues. These issues must be big enough or must be a concern enough to google if they are addressing these issues or have already addressed some of them. That should tell you something or that the numbers may be higher then some people want to believe

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not doubting what you're saying but the poster still has a 50/50 chance on either getting a phone that is problem free or a phone that has issues. These issues must be big enough or must be a concern enough to google if they are addressing these issues or have already addressed some of them. That should tell you something or that the numbers may be higher then some people want to believe

Or it could be the number not being as high as some want them to be but they purposely seek out the problem posts to then say the numbers show? It goes both ways :). To be honest if I went off just this phone forum on a Galaxy launch I would think that there is a few that love it and majority just hate it and have major issues... But I know that isn't the case (usually -- Note 7 excluded lol) since most people come to us for help and then the few of us phone nerds geek about tweaks, cases, etc.

Now that said not saying some don't have issues as clearly some do and clearly some don't .. But until we have something concrete I don't think pointing fingers and saying either side "doesn't want to believe" helps anyone. It is hard to get a consensus from forums since in the grand scheme of things they are only a few users to be honest. Majority of users would be contacting their carrier or manufacturer and we would never know.

Google had admitted a few problems and tried to fix them (Bluetooth) and whatnot but that is probably the only issue I have seen very widespread. Your issues with signal I can't seem to understand except for something about the Pixel radio and the signal in your area simply don't mix. I am running the Google XL on VZW now and am not running into what you run into.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
50/50? As in its good or it isn't ?

Fedway

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Keep reading post about it dropping Blue tooth.
Dropping calls, freezing up.

MY note 5 is getting old.
Don't know that I want a S8 phone with the curved screen.

The Note 8 is a long way off. Might not be able to wait that long.

But I don't want to buy a phone and have problems.
With Samsung I can go to Best Buy and see the Samsung reps and get my problem taken care of.

There is an issue with the February security patch that seems to have caused some issues with Bluetooth disconnects. This is the only issue that I have experienced and it was very minor. I did discover that signing up for the 7.1.2 beta rolled the security patch back to January and this issue completely went away. Google has acknowledged the issue with the February update. I'm sure it will be patched in a few days when the March security patch is released anyway.

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
No issues with mine. I use BT in 2 different cars, headset, 2 different Bluetooth speakers without any issue.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
The things and features of this phone when or if they work for me are fine. Other issues, not so much, but for me personally I would not call this the greatest phone I've owned or the greatest phone experience. I can't see my self hanging on to this for a long time with all of the other choices being offered. I will be waiting for the Nokia 8 if that happens. So far although not confirmed the specs look great and for me it's going to be hard to beat

Didn't windows buy out Nokia ?

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Did any of y'all miss the Charging pad on the Samsung.
Or the way the Samsung operated compared to the Pixel.

Ya know its had to make decisions when phones are 900.00, and go into the unknown
The battery don't look very large for the Pixel either.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
IMO the hard sell for the Pixel XL is just the pricing. The phone is a solid phone but like the Nexus phones in the past it isn't going to win any awards for flashy software features or jazzy looking menus and icons or curved glass edges. Personally I have a huge appreciation for those things that it isn't because I like simplicity in my software interfaces and I like to be able to build upon that with custom modification. The Pixel gets the job done effectively with smoothness. Coming from a Note 4 I was worried about battery life on the Pixel but I am happy with it (I get far better battery life than I got with my note 4). As a root user I absolutely love the Pixel.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I had issues and with some things still do. I don't like the phone. But I also don't like vanilla android. I hate the phone dialerl those huge tiles; this is the worst phone I ever had for connectivity both wifi and lte. The camera is not very good in lowlight videos and only editing makes lowlight photos ok. And the battery life went downhill with the 7.1.1 update. Waiting on the Note 8. Best phone I ever had was the Note 7, both of them, except you know, for the whole fire thing.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I was scared from some of the stuff online, but finally made the leap and got a pixel (not xl), I ussually own alot of phones.. 3 in the past year (moto z force droid, galaxy s7 and iphone 7) this is by far the best of the bunch.

was going to wait for galaxy s8 but dont want a curved screen

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I was scared from some of the stuff online, but finally made the leap and got a pixel (not xl), I ussually own alot of phones.. 3 in the past year (moto z force droid, galaxy s7 and iphone 7) this is by far the best of the bunch.

was going to wait for galaxy s8 but dont want a curved screen
I had the s7e and went to the pixel as well. Do not miss the curved screen at all!

Rodzp

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I had been researching for a few months. I had an iPhone 6s Plus that just did not fit my needs, but was stuck with it until February. I have had the Pixel XL a couple of weeks now with no issues other than Bluetooth turning off which is software, so maybe their build might be a little better now??? I will say I have had Bluetooth turn off with the March security update, but it was only the one time so far.

I was reluctant to buy the Pixel with the newer phones starting to launch, but these phones will always be months behind updates which is one of my only issues with Android. After getting my hands on it I am super happy with my choice. I could careless what else comes out I absolutely love it and my days of upgrading phones every year is over.

I am still tweaking to get the best battery life and still keep what I want active. Yesterday I had 17 hrs the off charger with moderate usage and still had 56% battery, and it was showing it had 1 day 4 hours remaining. I am trying one more setting to see if it drops the battery, but I am where I want to be with battery. The default settings did use more battery than I preferred while it was sleeping, but with the changes it is as good if not better battery than the iPhone I had. I showed it to my wife and her eyes got big and said holy crap.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I had been researching for a few months. I had an iPhone 6s Plus that just did not fit my needs, but was stuck with it until February. I have had the Pixel XL a couple of weeks now with no issues other than Bluetooth turning off which is software, so maybe their build might be a little better now??? I will say I have had Bluetooth turn off with the March security update, but it was only the one time so far.

I was reluctant to buy the Pixel with the newer phones starting to launch, but these phones will always be months behind updates which is one of my only issues with Android. After getting my hands on it I am super happy with my choice. I could careless what else comes out I absolutely love it and my days of upgrading phones every year is over.

I am still tweaking to get the best battery life and still keep what I want active. Yesterday I had 17 hrs the off charger with moderate usage and still had 56% battery, and it was showing it had 1 day 4 hours remaining. I am trying one more setting to see if it drops the battery, but I am where I want to be with battery. The default settings did use more battery than I preferred while it was sleeping, but with the changes it is as good if not better battery than the iPhone I had. I showed it to my wife and her eyes got big and said holy crap.
What have you tweaked to get better battery life?

Rodzp

May 14, 2012
Visit site
The two things that gave me the most improvement was changing location services to battery saver from high accuracy, and installed an app to turn off wifi when not in use.

A few other changes are
Turned off hepatic feedback
Turned off notification light
Turned off keyboard sound
Turned off instant tethering
Screen auto off was 15 seconds, but I have moved it to 30 seconds.
Turned on the adaptive brightness
Battery optimization is on and all apps are optimized
I disabled the face unlock option and will just use the finger print to unlock, much faster anyway.
I am sure there is something else I have missed but these are the main ones
Right now it has been off the charger for 12 hrs and it is at 76% with 1 day 12 hours remaining.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza