if enough people caused Samsung to bring back SD slot, why aren't there enough people to make Google put a darn SD card slot in their phone?

I'm mean Samsung is a huge phone manufacturer and if they can be made to change their minds.... Google is a tiny phone manufacturer, by comparison.
    03-07-2017 11:50 PM
    if enough people caused Samsung to bring back SD slot, why aren't there enough people to make Google put a darn SD card slot in their phone?

I'm mean Samsung is a huge phone manufacturer and if they can be made to change their minds.... Google is a tiny phone manufacturer, by comparison.
    I don't think google cares to be honest. They didn't do anything with feedback from Glass, and they didn't answer people's cries to make a good Nexus 5 again.

Just my opinion.
    03-08-2017 01:20 AM

I hate sd-card. I don't want sd-card slot to be exist in the phone. sd-cards hinder performance (and sometime stability). if you find internal storage not enough, you should

delete unnecessary apps
    delete unnecessary files
    use more cloud / streaming services
    Davidoo, klau25 and anon(10092459) like this.
    03-08-2017 01:50 AM
    I hate sd-card. I don't want sd-card slot to be exist in the phone. sd-cards hinder performance (and sometime stability). if you find internal storage not enough, you should

delete unnecessary apps
    delete unnecessary files
    use more cloud / streaming services
    Idk I like having SD cards. Not everyone can afford to pay monthly for the cloud. I can and I'd rather have a 256GB card in my phone than rely on cloud services
    03-08-2017 01:59 AM
    Idk I like having SD cards. Not everyone can afford to pay monthly for the cloud. I can and I'd rather have a 256GB card in my phone than rely on cloud services
    I thought google gave unlimited storage from the cloud to pixel owners?
    03-08-2017 02:33 AM
    I thought google gave unlimited storage from the cloud to pixel owners?
    They did give unlimited photo and video backup, in original quality.
    03-08-2017 03:25 AM
    Only photos and videos taken with the phone. And you still have the data usage issue. Either a data bucket or potential throttling.
    mesocyclone30 likes this.
    03-08-2017 08:00 AM
    Cause google does not care what we think!
    03-08-2017 08:13 AM
    Google isn't in the business of selling phones.... yes, they sell them, but they don't rely on them for business. And Android does have external storage support... in fact they've spent quite a bit of work in recent versions to completely overhaul how Android handles SD cards, specifically to reach a difficult balance between functionality and security. If Google had some deep seeded desire to end SD cards, they could have just dropped support in the OS and be done with it. But they didn't.

Adding card support to a phone is a pain in the butt, and that's ignoring the fact that if you use one, it is the single most unreliable piece of hardware in that phone.... but a significant margin. Quality control in the industry is a joke and the market is flooded with absolute pieces of trash SD cards...slow, buggy, prone to corruption, etc.

So Google takes the stance of letting people who want to deal with that headache do so, but they take a pass in putting it into their own phones.
    anon(10092459) likes this.
    03-08-2017 08:27 AM
    ... it is the single most unreliable piece of hardware in that phone.... but a significant margin. Quality control in the industry is a joke and the market is flooded with absolute pieces of trash SD cards...slow, buggy, prone to corruption, etc.
    The problem is people in general buy microSD cards based on price, they shop focusing solely on the cheapest price and end up with off-brand, generic cards that are prone to fail. On the other hand, spend a little more (even brand name, quality microSD cards aren't that expensive to begin with) and there's a much better chance you'll never have a problem, or least it will last several more years longer than a cheap knock-off. Stop buying cheap ones, they aren't worth their price or the frustration.
    anon(27512) likes this.
    03-08-2017 10:55 AM
    The problem is people in general buy microSD cards based on price, they shop focusing solely on the cheapest price and end up with off-brand, generic cards that are prone to fail. On the other hand, spend a little more (even brand name, quality microSD cards aren't that expensive to begin with) and there's a much better chance you'll never have a problem, or least it will last several more years longer than a cheap knock-off. Stop buying cheap ones, they aren't worth their price or the frustration.
    Agreed. I buy sandisk and samsung's cards and havent had a problem
    03-10-2017 03:13 AM
    Google isn't in the business of selling phones.... yes, they sell them, but they don't rely on them for business. And Android does have external storage support... in fact they've spent quite a bit of work in recent versions to completely overhaul how Android handles SD cards, specifically to reach a difficult balance between functionality and security. If Google had some deep seeded desire to end SD cards, they could have just dropped support in the OS and be done with it. But they didn't.

Adding card support to a phone is a pain in the butt, and that's ignoring the fact that if you use one, it is the single most unreliable piece of hardware in that phone.... but a significant margin. Quality control in the industry is a joke and the market is flooded with absolute pieces of trash SD cards...slow, buggy, prone to corruption, etc.

So Google takes the stance of letting people who want to deal with that headache do so, but they take a pass in putting it into their own phones.
    I agree with you. adding sd-card slot into a phone introduces instability and adversely affects performance. google can't control what sd-cards people would buy. lots of people would insert cheap ones into their phones. waves of complaints would occur. it's actually the responsibility of users rather than manufacturer.
    anon(10092459) likes this.
    03-10-2017 04:02 AM