Gray area of camera screen obscures view?

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Am I missing a way to turn this off? How can a camera have over half the screen covered by a darker gray area - the portion that has the shutter, gallery preview and front/back camera toggle.

peter nde63h

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Am I missing a way to turn this off? How can a camera have over half the screen covered by a darker gray area - the portion that has the shutter, gallery preview and front/back camera toggle.
that area occupies less than 1/3 of the screen area.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Lol I like that, "less than 1/3"... 1/3 is a lot to someone who is coming from a Samsung or other phone where controls are overlays on an image that fills the entire screen. Its a little hard to get used to.

peter nde63h

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Lol I like that, "less than 1/3"... 1/3 is a lot to someone who is coming from a Samsung or other phone where controls are overlays on an image that fills the entire screen. Its a little hard to get used to.
the op said "over half". it is certainly not that large.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah I know. Your statement is entirely factual but the OPs use of exaggeration had a clear purpose. I'll just add that if OP wants the look of a wider aspect ratio they can change the aspect ratio in the camera settings and the interface will change into an overlay type experience. Keep in mind that doing so crops the area of the camera sensor being captured though. Even Samsung has varied the native aspect ratio of their devices. On my Note 4 I had grown accustomed to the 16:9 ratio at max quality, but i believe the max quality of a Galaxy S7 is a more traditional 4:3 like the Pixel.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site

If you set the camera to shoot 16:9, it fills the screen and the controls are overlayed on the image...

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
It's because of the native aspect ratio of the camera sensor. This camera has a 4:3 ratio. You can go into the camera settings and change it to 16:9 so it uses the whole screen but you'll be lowering the resolution of your photos from 12.3 to 8.3 megapixels since all 16:9 does is crop the top and bottom of the image.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
To reiterate what others have said, see the two attached screenshots of the camera app. One was taken with the camera in 4:3 mode, the other in 16:9. Obviously you capture more in 4:3 despite the seemingly "wasted" space. 16:9 just crops the larger image.

Attachments

• 2614.jpg
    2614.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 28

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol