Would You Still Buy a Pixel?

Kirk Burkhead

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
So, I'm trying every way in the world to talk myself out of buying the Pixel XL. Limited inventory has really helped, as I have ordered twice and cancelled order twice before they shipped.

I currently have an S7 which has been the best phone I've owned to date, and I'm really liking the latest Nougat update. No need to change phones, just feel like I WANT the Pixel XL.

So my question is, Is the Pixel XL still a good buy at this point, or wait for the Pixel XL 2? I know I will not continue with a Samsung going forward. I don't like what I'm seeing about the S8's future screens and sizes, so I know my next phone will be a Pixel. Coupled with the fact that I want a carrier free phone next time.

Thoughts?

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I was going through this same thing not too long ago. I had an S7 Edge and I am on Verizon and was going to order a Pixel XL through Verizon but the limited stock had me waiting. Then the Very Silver in 128GB were in stock so I ordered one and had it two days later. I am so happy that I did. It is so much nicer than my S7 Edge in terms of how smooth it is. I really like the software experience on the Pixel and can't see myself going back to a non pure android device.

So I would say yes I think it is worth it to go from your S7 to a Pixel now.

Rodzp

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue. I delayed and researched, but kept coming back to the Pixel. I ordered mine a couple weeks ago when the Very Silver was in stock and wished I would have done it sooner.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
So, I'm trying every way in the world to talk myself out of buying the Pixel XL. Limited inventory has really helped, as I have ordered twice and cancelled order twice before they shipped.

I currently have an S7 which has been the best phone I've owned to date, and I'm really liking the latest Nougat update. No need to change phones, just feel like I WANT the Pixel XL.

So my question is, Is the Pixel XL still a good buy at this point, or wait for the Pixel XL 2? I know I will not continue with a Samsung going forward. I don't like what I'm seeing about the S8's future screens and sizes, so I know my next phone will be a Pixel. Coupled with the fact that I want a carrier free phone next time.

Thoughts?
Go for it, don't miss out on the best Android phone to date! I have had mine since November and every once in a while I'll get an urge to pop the Sim back in my S7 edge. By midday I pop it right back into the pixel. The user experience is unlike any other Android phone I've used. I also hate the curved edges on the S7 edge.

I agree with the s8, I have zero interest in it. Why they are making 18:9 phone displays is beyond ridiculous. Good luck reaching the status bar one handed.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I had a S7 Edge and a Note 7 -- Once the Note 7 thing happened I was debating between the V20 and the Pixel XL. The Pixel XL won. As Aquila said above .. I went with what I wanted :p.

Kirk Burkhead

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Go for it, don't miss out on the best Android phone to date! I have had mine since November and every once in a while I'll get an urge to pop the Sim back in my S7 edge. By midday I pop it right back into the pixel. The user experience is unlike any other Android phone I've used. I also hate the curved edges on the S7 edge.

I agree with the s8, I have zero interest in it. Why they are making 18:9 phone displays is beyond ridiculous. Good luck reaching the status bar one handed.

Biggest thing turning me away from the S8 is the curved screen supposedly coming on both models. I had an S7 edge and didn't like it, so I returned for the S7.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Biggest thing turning me away from the S8 is the curved screen supposedly coming on both models. I had an S7 edge and didn't like it, so I returned for the S7.
Both s8 models will have a dual curved edge. I had an s7 and the battery was such garbage so I got the edge and while the battery was better, I hated the curved edges.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
My wife has had an S7 since shortly after release (March 2016). I had an MXPE and was trying to wait, but it was acting up repeatedly on me and Verizon had a Black Pixel in stock in a store a couple of weeks ago.

I am the "tech support" in my home and the S7 drives me crazy trying to find settings on it. But my wife likes it and in addition to being her phone, it's her primary camera, and the 8x zoom sold her on it. It will be interesting to see Nougat on that phone <g>.

I am very happy with the Pixel. I like the smaller size, and the smoothness and "pure" Android. I sort of miss the Moto Actions, but the double tap and lift to wake are close.

My main camera is a Sony a6000, but I like the Pixel camera so far. Before the Pixel, no phone camera that I had could capture my dog in mid-ball catch.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
My wife has had an S7 since shortly after release (March 2016). I had an MXPE and was trying to wait, but it was acting up repeatedly on me and Verizon had a Black Pixel in stock in a store a couple of weeks ago.

I am the "tech support" in my home and the S7 drives me crazy trying to find settings on it. But my wife likes it and in addition to being her phone, it's her primary camera, and the 8x zoom sold her on it. It will be interesting to see Nougat on that phone <g>.

I am very happy with the Pixel. I like the smaller size, and the smoothness and "pure" Android. I sort of miss the Moto Actions, but the double tap and lift to wake are close.

My main camera is a Sony a6000, but I like the Pixel camera so far. Before the Pixel, no phone camera that I had could capture my dog in mid-ball catch.
Her s7 should have nougat on it already.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You're definitely not the only one thinking about the Pixel. I agree that the limited inventory makes it easier to 2nd guess the decision to buy one or not. For me, the latest news on the Rev. B models makes me think even more about what Google is doing. How fast are they producing these phones? Are all the Rev. A models going to be pulled and/or refurbished? Its not like there's tons of units out there and even if there were, only a small amount of users would experience the microphone issues.

For me, software experience is #1 , followed by camera quality. The Pixel is as smooth as Android can be, with a top notch camera. However, 6 months after release, I am hesitant to leave the S7 edge for a Pixel. I'm sure I'd have a better experience with the Pixel, but I don't think its worth its $700 with its successor 6 months away.

Its early in 2017 and we still have yet to see what Apple and Samsung will bring, as well as some reputable companies that provide mid-range devices.

My S7 Edge will serve me just fine until October this year when I can look at all the devices and make a decision.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
What are Rev A and Rev B models? This is the first reference I've seen about that. How do you know which model you have, and what was the problem with Rev A?

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
What are Rev A and Rev B models? This is the first reference I've seen about that. How do you know which model you have, and what was the problem with Rev A?

Some folks are having problems with the audio on their Pixels, it seems to be stemming from a cracked solder joint on some audio codec component in the phone. Some have reported seeing a "Rev B on the labels on the boxes their phones came in. So the speculation is that Google has fixed the problem in manufacturing and are sending those units out as Rev B so they can better identify later who has "good" phones or "bad" phones.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I apologize for not clarifying....there has been sightings of "Rev. B" markings on European retail packaging.

"Reports over the weekend saw the emergence of “Rev. B” on a European Pixel smartphone box, suggesting the company may have acted to fix a lingering issue with the device’s microphone.

However, a Google spokesperson has now confirmed to 9to5Google the label does not relate to hardware revisions and the “Rev. B” markings simply pertain to the packaging itself."

“Google has not made any revisions to the Pixel or Pixel XL hardware. We have made some small improvements to our manufacturing process to further reduce any likelihood of an audio codec failure,” the company said.

Google had previously revealed the improvements to the manufacturing process that should assist with the audio issues being experienced by some users.

The firm said all devices manufactured since January should not have the problem and claimed less than 1% of devices built before then experienced it anyway.

Read more at Google: No Pixel or Pixel XL hardware changes

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Probably not at this point.

It's still a very good phone, but we're on the verge of the major new phone launches that are happening soon.

Plus, as great as it is, the Pixel is still kind-of like a first-generation product, as it's the first smartphone in the Pixel lineup. As such, it does have some minor issues which should be corrected in its successor.

It's the Pixel 2017 that is actually making me kinda hyped.

Go42

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
No. The BT issues alone are enough to drive a person to drink. My family has had enough with BT deciding on it's own to just disable itself and other BT issues.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance