Anyone thinking of going from the Pixel to the G6?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Nah, Pixel is already the better device IMO. Better software, better design (16:9 vs 2:1, button placement, etc), better security, better support, better build materials, very close on camera, better storage option (128), almost guaranteed to have a better display, probably dead even on audio... etc, etc. I'd consider the G6 to be a worthy update from the S7 or the G5, people with the V20, Pixel XL, iPhone 7+, etc should keep what they have until the fall IMO.

Faded03cobra198p

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
LGs UI kills it for me. While I do enjoy some features, particularly the knock feature. I'll take pure Android anyday. Honestly, you can't go wrong with the G6 or the S8. Pretty much depends on your taste. After having the 6P, I'll always stick to a Nexus/Pixel device.

anon(470989)

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
No chance. The G6 isn't even an upgrade, it's using the same Snapdragon 821. I won't be thinking of "upgrading" until 2018, and if I do, it would be for the next Pixel anyhow.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely not! Never! LG's GUI is the fugliest OS I have ever seen. Just awful. And they always have software issues. I had the G3, and it was the ugliest, and worst phone I ever had. No way!:-

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Nah, Pixel is already the better device IMO. Better software, better design (16:9 vs 2:1, button placement, etc), better security, better support, better build materials, very close on camera, better storage option (128), almost guaranteed to have a better display, probably dead even on audio... etc, etc. I'd consider the G6 to be a worthy update from the S7 or the G5, people with the V20, Pixel XL, iPhone 7+, etc should keep what they have until the fall IMO.
Better design? Really? Come one. Pixle is the worst designed phone compared to any other flagship, let alone G6.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Agree to disagree. Metal > glass IMO and it's a very nice device in the hand. G6 looks way better than the S8 to me, but pixel looks better than both.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Agree to disagree. Metal > glass IMO and it's a very nice device in the hand. G6 looks way better than the S8 to me, but pixel looks better than both.
Glad you are happy with your device :)

I had both s7 edge and Pixel XL. Sold the XL about a month ago. The design was very uninspiring. There is really ZERO effort put in the design of the Pixel in my opinion. G6, S7 Edge, and S8 (including a handful of many other flagship), put Pixel design to shame.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I had both s7 edge and Pixel XL. Sold the XL about a month ago. The design was very uninspiring. There is really ZERO effort put in the design of the Pixel in my opinion. G6, S7 Edge, and S8 (including a handful of many other flagship), put Pixel design to shame.
I actually like the design, and hate the design of the s7 edge. So we all have our opinion. I was back and forth with the pixel and s7e and finally settled with the pixel and so happy. I activated my s7e for a day last week and halfway through the day I went back to pixel. The pixel can look like a brick and I'd use it over any other phone because the software experience alone outweighs everything else for me. I hate the edge screen

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site

I also like the design of the Pixel over the S7 Edge. I was not a fan of the Edge display at all. Plus the bezels while they are a little big on the Pixel are actually nice when using the phone, I am not accidentally hitting the screen when holding the phone with the bezels. With my S7 Edge I was constantly either activating the edge display or hitting the screen in landscape mode by accident because the bezels were smaller.

Plus like many other have stated the Pure Android software experience is enough to outweigh any design flaw for me.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I actually like the design, and hate the design of the s7 edge. So we all have our opinion. I was back and forth with the pixel and s7e and finally settled with the pixel and so happy. I activated my s7e for a day last week and halfway through the day I went back to pixel. The pixel can look like a brick and I'd use it over any other phone because the software experience alone outweighs everything else for me. I hate the edge screen

I also like the design of the Pixel over the S7 Edge. I was not a fan of the Edge display at all. Plus the bezels while they are a little big on the Pixel are actually nice when using the phone, I am not accidentally hitting the screen when holding the phone with the bezels. With my S7 Edge I was constantly either activating the edge display or hitting the screen in landscape mode by accident because the bezels were smaller.

Plus like many other have stated the Pure Android software experience is enough to outweigh any design flaw for me.
I have used Nexus 6 and Nexus 6p for 2 years and had Pixel XL. I know all about the software experience. I'm currently waiting for Note 8. I've tried many phones out there and there is nothing like the Note series. So, Coral Blue S7 Edge is my current phone until Note 8 comes out.

Vanilla android used to matter couple years ago. Hardware capacity had came a long way and flagships from Samsung and down are all fast and fluid enough. Yes not as fluid, but I've been using s7 edge and it is dang fast. Enjoy your pixels, I'll be back to Note land not too far from now.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I have used Nexus 6 and Nexus 6p for 2 years and had Pixel XL. I know all about the software experience. I'm currently waiting for Note 8. I've tried many phones out there and there is nothing like the Note series. So, Coral Blue S7 Edge is my current phone until Note 8 comes out.

Vanilla android used to matter couple years ago. Hardware capacity had came a long way and flagships from Samsung and down are all fast and fluid enough. Yes not as fluid, but I've been using s7 edge and it is dang fast. Enjoy your pixels, I'll be back to Note land not too far from now.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but for me coming from an iPhone to the Samsung phones they were never as fluid as my iPhones but I liked the customization of android so I had dealt with it. The Pixel is much closer to what the iPhone was to me.

Again I am not saying you are wrong with your preferences but that is the joy of the cell phone market. There are many choices available and not everyone is going to like the same thing. I am glad you like your Samsung phones and hope you enjoy them. Good luck with the Note 8 when it comes out.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but for me coming from an iPhone to the Samsung phones they were never as fluid as my iPhones but I liked the customization of android so I had dealt with it. The Pixel is much closer to what the iPhone was to me.

Again I am not saying you are wrong with your preferences but that is the joy of the cell phone market. There are many choices available and not everyone is going to like the same thing. I am glad you like your Samsung phones and hope you enjoy them. Good luck with the Note 8 when it comes out.
12a46803b43c4d6ccd66804caaa4d60c.jpg