Google Assistant Question

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
How do you keep a conversation going without having to say, "Ok, Google" or hitting the Mic button. I thought this was a capability. It works for some applications like sending texts but I thought it was supposed to work for internet queries as well.

For example: "Ok, Google... beep... When is the next NY Islanders game?" "Blah blah blah." At this point I thought I could carry on the conversation of where are they playing and such without having to say OK Google again or hitting the Mic button.

Thanks

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
To my knowledge this isn't possible. They do this so it doesn't sit active picking up background noise or whatever and answering random things when you don't want it to.

meattray

Trusted Member
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Yeah I haven't come across that yet either. It seems like you always have to keep saying that - kind of annoying but as stated above it does stop it from continuously listening when you maybe don't want it to.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Thought this was one of the selling points. As I recall the initial presentation did just that making a reservation at some restaurant. Saw a youtube vid where someone is asking about his fave team and where they play next etc. Oh well, at least now I know why my assistant doesn't want to carry on a conversation with me. She/It can't.

To my knowledge this isn't possible. They do this so it doesn't sit active picking up background noise or whatever and answering random things when you don't want it to.
It seems like they could give it a time out. Like even 10 sec would be fine for carrying on a bit of conversation , even 5 sec, so it doesn't need to be listening constantly. To me having to say "OK Google" every time is not only annoying but defeats the whole purpose. It doesn't give it the edge over the older version. And a lot of devices are having no luck getting it to wake from sleep with an "OK Google". Unless charging? Thats just lame. Even Siri will wake up from sleep to respond. I wish I could fine the video of the initial presentation when it was unveiled. The guy makes a reservation and doesn't say OK Google before every request.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It seems like they could give it a time out. Like even 10 sec would be fine for carrying on a bit of conversation , even 5 sec, so it doesn't need to be listening constantly. To me having to say "OK Google" every time is not only annoying but defeats the whole purpose. It doesn't give it the edge over the older version. And a lot of devices are having no luck getting it to wake from sleep with an "OK Google". Unless charging? Thats just lame. Even Siri will wake up from sleep to respond. I wish I could fine the video of the initial presentation when it was unveiled. The guy makes a reservation and doesn't say OK Google before every request.

I disagree. It doesn't have to do this to have an edge over the older version at all.

slowmyke

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
If you use allo, you can carry on a conversation. I haven't tried dictating what I want to say yet, but texting Google assistant works like any normal text thread with another person. Perhaps you can turn the microphone on for text input and have a conversation that way.

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Thought this was one of the selling points. As I recall the initial presentation did just that making a reservation at some restaurant. Saw a youtube vid where someone is asking about his fave team and where they play next etc. Oh well, at least now I know why my assistant doesn't want to carry on a conversation with me. She/It can't.

Even by saying, "that's all Google" or canceling the conversation manually with an on-screen button would be great. I'm pretty sure Siri keeps the conversation going.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site

Here is the video of the initial presentation and the demo of the assistant starts around 3:30 into the video and he is definitely hitting the mic icon on the screen every time he goes to ask the assistant for anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhsd2F8BIz0

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Hmmmm ... Well I use GA daily and unless it needs to ask you a question to clarify something, it seems to consider your request fulfilled. So if the request is closed ended, "Okay Google" is necessary. If it's a more open request "Make reservations at X restaurant on Tuesday", then it will respond in a conversational way.. GA: "okay what time and for how many?" Without the "Okay Google" being necessary.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Here is the video of the initial presentation and the demo of the assistant starts around 3:30 into the video and he is definitely hitting the mic icon on the screen every time he goes to ask the assistant for anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhsd2F8BIz0
Thanks for the link. So once the assistant is open just tapping the mic works for continued inquiries. When I watched this before I didn't notice that's what he was doing .

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the link. So once the assistant is open just tapping the mic works for continued inquiries. When I watched this before I didn't notice that's what he was doing .
You're welcome. I can see how you can miss it. It's hard to tell he's doing it

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
It was baked in. When I first got my pixel I could have a conversation with the assistant for two days. Don't ask me what happened because it was really great it's just gone. I've always maintained the assistant is just not what it's cracked up to be. I think it has a long way to go. But don't let anybody tell you that at one time you could not carry on a conversation because you could

ArtieTheOneManParty

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Not trying to hijack the thread, but where are the "shortcuts" that are supposed to be in the google app? I've read about them, but I don't see anything but the search box and "now" cards that show up.