Ok Pixel owners - the S8 is here. Who's jumping ship?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
What features does the Pixel have over the S8?

I see the Galaxy S8 having features the Pixel doesn't have like:

Waterproofing
SD Card
Wireless charging
Facial recognition
Iris recognition

I love my Pixel XL....but I can't compare it to the S8 Plus yet until I actually have it in hand and used it for a while.
More storage, better security, daydream, better software support, metal over glass body (imo), etc. Really matters what features each person values over others.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
More storage, better security, daydream, better software support, metal over glass body (imo), etc. Really matters what features each person values over others.
More storage how? S8 starts at 64GB then has SD card. Security is even with Knox. But updates go to the Pixel. Metal is only on half of the back of the Pixel.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
More storage how? S8 starts at 64GB then has SD card. Security is even with Knox. But updates go to the Pixel. Metal is only on half of the back of the Pixel.
128 > 64, SD can be discounted (IMO) because of the stability, security and performance issues that they introduce. Very much depends on the user, just saying I can make a case for it.

I don't count Knox as security unless I'm thinking as a business operator. If including that use case though, have to eliminate fps, Iris, etc as features, because they're all very weak compared to common sense and strong policy when coupled with ongoing security updates. But Samsung continually launches on dated software and falls further behind rather than closing the gap, so they intend Knox as a bandaid on the hole.

anon(9780053)

Banned
Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
5G technology promises mobile data speeds that far outstrip the fastest home broadband network currently available in the UK. With speeds of up to 100 gigabits per second, 5G will be as much as 1,000 times faster than 4G, the latest iteration of mobile data

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
128 > 64, SD can be discounted (IMO) because of the stability, security and performance issues that they introduce. Very much depends on the user, just saying I can make a case for it.

I don't count Knox as security unless I'm thinking as a business operator. If including that use case though, have to eliminate fps, Iris, etc as features, because they're all very weak compared to common sense and strong policy when coupled with ongoing security updates. But Samsung continually launches on dated software and falls further behind rather than closing the gap, so they intend Knox as a bandaid on the hole.
Disagree with you on Knox. It is the standard for security...They worked with Google to develop Knox. Storage goes to the S8 as you get more to start with then can add more. Then you forgot waterproofing and wireless charging. Nougat us a big game changer for Android. My S7 edge with Nougat was so smooth and so is the S8 from the 3 or 4 times I have played with it at BB.

But going back to your original claim that the Pixel has more features than the S8 is not true.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Wrong.it's 18 times faster.
It is literally the same speed. 4G covers speeds up to 1 Gbps. 5G was recently redefined to be peak speeds up to 1 Gbps. The difference is NOT speed, it's how many people can simultaneously receive speeds in the >= 100 Mbps download without distortion.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
IMO the S8 goes a Long long long way to catching up with the Pixel, and I definitely appreciate the positive changes. Getting rid of the physical buttons, adding a rear fps, a better implementation of flat design and a continued emphasis on one of the best cameras and displays in the industry make it very compelling. The last steps might be the most important, and that's trading out SD for proper storage, getting on board with guaranteed security updates (and following through) and adoption of the mobile technology standards already in existing, rather than pushing redundant and largely ineffectual alternatives. They came 40% my way on this device and I was considering meeting them the rest of the way, but we're not quite to where that'll work.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
IMO the S8 goes a Long long long way to catching up with the Pixel, and I definitely appreciate the positive changes. Getting rid of the physical buttons, adding a rear fps, a better implementation of flat design and a continued emphasis on one of the best cameras and displays in the industry make it very compelling. The last steps might be the most important, and that's trading out SD for proper storage, getting on board with guaranteed security updates (and following through) and adoption of the mobile technology standards already in existing, rather than pushing redundant and largely ineffectual alternatives. They came 40% my way on this device and I was considering meeting them the rest of the way, but we're not quite to where that'll work.

those are some good points. But you're giving Google a pass on follow through. I mean you can't even order a Pixel XL and expect it in a timely manner, Then design wise Google is way behind most other OEMs. I mean year to year you don't know what you're going to get from Google from their phones. Look at the back of the Pixel.....the half and half design. You can tell the Pixel is their first attempt at this.
Sorry but storage still goes to the S8 as it starts with 64GB and you can add more upto 256GB Google can't match that. The 32GB that comes on the base model is barley enough

Waterproofing IP68 certified
Wireless charging.......

Google delivers faster more timely software updates. But most of the Google branded software gets their updates through the Playstore.

Again......the S8 offers more features than the Pixel. You might not like them or use them but they are still features most people value

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm done.20 yrs in development says it's real so does Qualcomm
I didn't say it wasn't real lol. I said it won't be widespread like LTE anytime soon. Go look at T-Mobile.. they say 2020. Of course they're testing it now but testing doesn't mean everyday consumer use.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a Pixel, Pixel XL and a S7 Edge and I am considering getting the S8. I went to the AT&T store and played with the S8. Quite impressed. The S8 is marginally taller than the regular Pixel but has a much larger screen and feel in hand is superb!