Considering switch from iPhone to Pixel

Chri592

Apr 15, 2017
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Joined up here as basically I'm INCREDIBLY indecisive and want to ask a few (maybe more than a few!) questions about potentially switching from an iPhone to an Android Google Pixel.

I'm not usually one for change, I know exactly what I like and I've had an iphone ever since the iPhone 4 got released after i had an ipod touch and loved it.

I've currently got an iphone 5S, had it since release day in 2013 but considering a change because it's getting a little out dated and the newest iphone's i'm not convinced with, I think the size of my phone is ideal and the iphones just seem to be getting bigger. If you want the better camera, battery life etc you need the plus model and that's comfortable for me, and I have big hands might I add! Oh and a lack of headphone jack on the latest iphone is a huge No from me - WTF Apple?!

So I'd be looking at the Google Pixel standard size only.

Anyway, I'm quite OCD in that I like all my icons in folders in a set order etc and I'm used to iOS.

So questions:

Q1 - Are all apps which are on the apple app store on google play's android store? If so how do they compare? Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, instagram etc. Is there a way to check the store without having an android device right now?

Q2- I used to own a google Nexus 7 tablet and while it was pretty good I found that it would become slow and i'd get constant pop ups on the main home screen plus random apps I never downloaded, almost like viruses on a laptop, the last thing I want is that on my phone. Does this happen on android/pixel phones too?

Q3 - I don't use imessage at all on my iphone, infact I use whatsapp for everyone bar a couple of people. Is the functionality of whatsapp the same as it is on iphone?
I like how on my notification screen on iphone I can see the pictures of my last 4-8 recent contacts with any bubbles of groupchat messages etc.

Q4 - While i do use spotify alot, I also have my entire itunes library organised and on my iphone for listening to music without using data. How is the music app on the pixel in comparison to the iphone music app?

Q5 - Is there a passbook equivalent on android for cinema/event tickets etc?

Q6 - I'm becoming really lazy lately and would want to be able to ask my phone to add calendar events, send whatsapp messages etc but find Siri is, to be blunt, useless. How does Google assistant compare?

Q7 - Is there a way I can listen to podcasts i would usually listen to on my iphone?

Lastly, for now, the big ones!

Q8 - What does this Android phone offer that an iphone does not give you?

Q9 - For anyone that moved from iphone to Google Pixel, what do you really miss about your iphone? I hear emoji's are very 'cartoony' and although minor might be a wee bug to me haha

Realise this is a fairly chunky post but I'm awful at making decisions and don't want to spend a fortune on a phone I'd want to return within a week and crawl back to an iphone.

Advice appreciated guys! :)

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Joined up here as basically I'm INCREDIBLY indecisive and want to ask a few (maybe more than a few!) questions about potentially switching from an iPhone to an Android Google Pixel.

I'm not usually one for change, I know exactly what I like and I've had an iphone ever since the iPhone 4 got released after i had an ipod touch and loved it.

I've currently got an iphone 5S, had it since release day in 2013 but considering a change because it's getting a little out dated and the newest iphone's i'm not convinced with, I think the size of my phone is ideal and the iphones just seem to be getting bigger. If you want the better camera, battery life etc you need the plus model and that's comfortable for me, and I have big hands might I add! Oh and a lack of headphone jack on the latest iphone is a huge No from me - WTF Apple?!

Anyway, I'm quite OCD in that I like all my icons in folders in a set order etc and I'm used to iOS.

So questions:

Q1 - Are all apps which are on the apple app store on google play's android store? If so how do they compare? Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, instagram etc. Is there a way to check the store without having an android device right now?

-All the apps you mentioned are available on the Google Play Store. GPS will provide you with almost any app you have currently with the exception of a few Apple exclusives. I will say typically iOS app developers will fix and polish their apps sooner than on Android. This is due to the number of different devices Android developers must support.

Q2- I used to own a google Nexus 7 tablet and while it was pretty good I found that it would become slow and i'd get constant pop ups on the main home screen plus random apps I never downloaded, almost like viruses on a laptop, the last thing I want is that on my phone. Does this happen on android/pixel phones too?

-It does unfortunately happen to most Android devices. The Pixel has bucked this trend for sure! I can safely say its held up wonderfully over time. Just as snappy as ever.

Q3 - I don't use imessage at all on my iphone, infact I use whatsapp for everyone bar a couple of people. Is the functionality of whatsapp the same as it is on iphone?
I like how on my notification screen on iphone I can see the pictures of my last 4-8 recent contacts with any bubbles of groupchat messages etc.

-I've actually never used whatsapp personally so I can't comment on the functionality. But, I would assume its as comprehensive as the iOS version. Android notifications are very different than iOS. iOS relies heavily on badges (red number on the app icon) whereas Android is more about notifications in the notification tray or the lockscreen.

Q4 - While i do use spotify alot, I also have my entire itunes library organised and on my iphone for listening to music without using data. How is the music app on the pixel in comparison to the iphone music app?

-The pixel will use Google Play music by default. It's a great music player, and I would think they would likely have a free trial for a new user for streaming services. There is no shortage of iTunes syncing apps on the Google Play Store, so if you want to bring your library over this should be no problem.

-Absolutely! Plenty of available options in the app store!

Q6 - I'm becoming really lazy lately and would want to be able to ask my phone to add calendar events, send whatsapp messages etc but find Siri is, to be blunt, useless. How does Google assistant compare?

-Google assistants AI learning is leagues above Siri. I think you'll be very satisfied with the Assistant. However, be aware it does have its moments when you want to throw your phone :)

Q7 - Is there a way I can listen to podcasts i would usually listen to on my iphone?

-Its an app called Cast Box. Its what i'd recommend!

-To back to your original statement, if you are OCD, this is a dream come true for you! You can make your phone look any way you want and the operating system does not stop you (place icones where you want, widgets where you want, folders how you want).

Q9 - For anyone that moved from iphone to Google Pixel, what do you really miss about your iphone? I hear emoji's are very 'cartoony' and although minor might be a wee bug to me haha

-I use both devices, and the primary reason I hang onto my iPhone is iMessage (which you mentioned you don't use), and OS updates the day they come out. The pixel is the phone to have if you want the fastest updates on Android. The smileys on the stock Google keyboard are normal, nothing to worry about there!

Realise this is a fairly chunky post but I'm awful at making decisions and don't want to spend a fortune on a phone I'd want to return within a week and crawl back to an iphone.

-Last piece of advice, if you love the form factor of the 5s, have you looked at the iPhone SE? That's what I run alongside the Pixel. It has the ideal form factor, and the internals of the 6s. Something to think about!

Rodzp

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I switched to an iPhone 6s Plus last year and switched back as soon as I could to Android (Pixel XL). I absolutely loved the Pixel. When I got the iPhone I recalled say it sucks it will not do this and that. Doing custom ringtones on an iPhone is a huge PITA because Apple wants you to buy the ringtones from them. Now I prefer the iPad over Android tablets solely because of battery management when not being used.

Now with all of that said I think most people prefer what they learned on, but it really depends on how you use the phone as to which is better for you.

So questions:

You can google play store and search apps from a browser. From my experience all the Apps I use are on both, but there are some that were on Android and not in iOS. I found this interesting with my iPhone friends bragging it was the other way around. I did not see much difference between the two, but you can customize alert tones more on Android in most apps.

I have never experienced this. Sounds like you had a virus or malware possibly.

I cannot answer the WhatsApp question, but you will have to unregister your cell phone number from iMessage if you want to get text messages on your phone. Just google it and it will bring up the Apple help page.

iPhone wins here as far as listening goes. Even when I had an iPhone I would buy my tracks from google then import them. Getting the songs off of Apple is not fun last time I tried. I have all my songs on a USB drive in my truck so Google works better for getting music to it. The pixel has a skip that happens when playing music over Bluetooth there is a post here about it. It is annoying but I can live with it.

I never used this on the iPhone or Pixel so I am no help here

Google wins big time here and one of the main reasons I switched. I think Apple will make a big push to catch up with the next version of iOS but they are way behind.

I do not listen to pod cast. No help here

A useful assistant
I can customize my tones for every app so I know what app is alerting me and if I need to look at my phone now or later.
I like how Android organizes Apps automatically iOS just dumps them on the main screen for me to organize.
There are more but I am running out of time

NOTHING! The pixel beats the iPhone 6s Plus in every way. The pixel does everything the iPhone does and more.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

So questions:

A1. Yes, the apps listed should be available. They may "feel" or function slightly differently due to the different OS's.

A2. Some apps may come with their own ads, or screen overlays that could cause this. Battery saver apps (not all) are the ones I've seen mentioned in various threads around here.

A3. Don't use WhatsApp.

A4. I use iTunes and have playlist synced with iSyncr over home WiFi network, and Rocket Player for music playing. Can play music without using data. I have not used the Google Play Music app, but from what I understand you can use it's web form and stream music on home PC over WiFi, so that may be of interest.

A5. I'm not aware of a native Google app equivalent. The Passbook is a nice feature. If you use Google Now, or the Assistant, I think events are populated in your feed and show up as cards. Those cards will have details for the event. I need to try out this feature more.

Q6. Google Assistant works well for this. I did not have problems with Siri either for adding reminders or calendar events.

A7. Have not used podcasts, but imagine the same or equivalent apps are available.

A8. For me it's flexibility, and choice to setup the phone how I want to. Similarly, I like having a local native user accessible file system (don't need root) for downloading and organizing documents or pictures. I like being able to drag/drop files to/from Android phone to Windows, although using something like Google Drive or Dropbox can accomplish the same. I also like the Android Share system compared to how iOS implements it.

A9. I don't use emoji's much, maybe a random smiley.

A10. Camera is quite good along with its Google Photos integration. I like it better than the iPhone Photos.

A11. There are things I think Apple and iOS do quite well, though, and think its important to share that perspective (just my opinion). iOS Health and Activity apps I like. I think that iOS has a solid "In case of emergency" feature that I'v'e not seen an equivalent for on Android natively, but could have missed it. iOS has solid VOiP app integration into the dialer. Photo and video sharing work well via Messages, as does AirDrop in my experience. There are other things I think iOS does well and think an iPhone is a solid choice if some of the items above are not a concern or that important.

Chri592

Apr 15, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for all responses guys!

In terms of custom ringtones I'm not overly bothered. I usually have my phone on vibrate and having to buy one ringtone I like off itunes for a quid I'm happy enough to do.

Whatsapp is one of the main apps I use, I literally only text 2 people, everyone else is on whatsapp so it would be useful to hear about someone who uses it on android.

I actually happened to notice on my mates android phone when he was sharing something he could instantly choose my whatsapp icon, a friends fb messenger icon etc so it seemed easier than going through 3 menus to choose.

I've been looking at plenty reviews, as obviously I expect biased reviews here, and I guess it really does come down to personal preference.

The dongle for the iphone 7 for earphones is an option but I find that at work I listen to spotify over wifi on my iphone 5S and need to plug it in to charge by about 2pm as its using wifi and streaming music for a good 6-7 hours. Once I plug it in to charge I wouldn't be able to listen to music at the same time with iPhone 7.

RE iPhone SE, yeah I considered it but I don't think the spec is a big enough different for me. It's still got a 1.2MP front facing camera and the screen is the exact same too, I think I'd just be paying for a phone I'd notice very little difference with.

Ideally, yeah i need to get hold on a Google Pixel that I'd want and try in out daily for a week or two but that's not really possible without buying one is it? I'm not prepared to go and spend such a high amount of money on a phone to try it out and potentially find I can't return it as it's been used - and that's only expected I'd have thought.

pixiedroid

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for all responses guys!

In terms of custom ringtones I'm not overly bothered. I usually have my phone on vibrate and having to buy one ringtone I like off itunes for a quid I'm happy enough to do.

Whatsapp is one of the main apps I use, I literally only text 2 people, everyone else is on whatsapp so it would be useful to hear about someone who uses it on android.

I actually happened to notice on my mates android phone when he was sharing something he could instantly choose my whatsapp icon, a friends fb messenger icon etc so it seemed easier than going through 3 menus to choose.

I've been looking at plenty reviews, as obviously I expect biased reviews here, and I guess it really does come down to personal preference.

The dongle for the iphone 7 for earphones is an option but I find that at work I listen to spotify over wifi on my iphone 5S and need to plug it in to charge by about 2pm as its using wifi and streaming music for a good 6-7 hours. Once I plug it in to charge I wouldn't be able to listen to music at the same time with iPhone 7.

RE iPhone SE, yeah I considered it but I don't think the spec is a big enough different for me. It's still got a 1.2MP front facing camera and the screen is the exact same too, I think I'd just be paying for a phone I'd notice very little difference with.

Ideally, yeah i need to get hold on a Google Pixel that I'd want and try in out daily for a week or two but that's not really possible without buying one is it? I'm not prepared to go and spend such a high amount of money on a phone to try it out and potentially find I can't return it as it's been used - and that's only expected I'd have thought.

had to revise my response since I realized you are not from the US. Are there any carriers there that have Demo phones?

As for the ringtone, you can use your own mp3 files. Go t storage>explore and you will see a "ringtones" folder there, and you put your mp3 file

You also get unlimited photo cloud storage. backing up photos is a breeze, like only 2 clicks. I use whatsApp in Android for overseas contacts and so far, I find it a great app. Prefer it to viber.

You mentioned that you like to set your icons in a folder. I thought you might like Android since it allows grouping of apps in folders, but not only that. Android has a "app drawer" where your all apps go. And in the home screen, you could choose which apps you want to be there. Kind of like "desktop" in Windows, if you get my idea.

I usually like my home screen clean, so I do not have apps on my homescreen. I have grouped my apps and they are all(at least the ones I use most) in the dock.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund