What was Google thinking

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
To make the pixel phone and not put a SD card in it.
It's and enough to not make it waterproof.
But to rush it out with no SD card.
What was they thinking.

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
It's Google. They WANT you to use Cloud Services. They even let you store 100% of your super high res pictures for free.

Next, they gave you an OTG adapter in the box. So if you don't WANT to use their Cloud Services, you can plug a thumb drive (or SD card adapter) into it via OTG and copy your shtuff over.

Or, you can plug directly into a computer and drag/drop to your heart's content.

They likely didn't want to deal with the random crashes with moving apps to SD for flaky low quality micro SD cards. It's bit them in the butt more than once and they get blamed for bad 3rd party hardware.

Did I miss some niche need for SD onboard?

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Samsung has 32 GB phones standard. And SD cards.
And they also has cloud.
Sd card are for storing pictures so you can use them off the Card.

These companies needs to get their acts together.
And set some standards.
They know how we use the phones.
But try to cut corners to make more money and in the end. Screw their customers.
But still charge high prices.
The Pixel is suppose to be a top end phone.
And Google cut these corners.
Not acceptable.

pixiedroid

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
In place of SD card, Google offers UNLIMITED photo storage. I find it easier to backup and transfer photos in the cloud. Also, those back up photos are BOTH accessible through the browser (photos.google.com) and phone.

For music, Google also allows up to 50,000 songs uploaded to your account for Google Play Music.

Here in the US, we are moving from physical storage to cloud storage.

Samsung is worse in *actual* cutting corners. They abandon you after one year and getting updates takes forever. They want you to buy their phone every year if you want the latest OS. At least for Pixel owners, we get monthly security updates and Android updates are usually available within days.

Besides, Google customer service is excellent. Never dealt with Samsung but from what I have heard, they have terrible return policies and bad customer service.

pixiedroid

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
In place of SD card, Google offers UNLIMITED photo storage. I find it easier to backup and transfer photos in the cloud. Also, those back up photos are BOTH accessible through the browser (photos.google.com) and phone.

And to be honest, SD card is actually very annoying. Attaching a flash drive, even though it's ugly, is more convenient.

For music, Google also allows up to 50,000 songs uploaded to your account for Google Play Music.

Samsung is worse in *actual* cutting corners. They abandon you after one year and getting updates takes forever. They want you to buy their phone every year if you want the latest OS. At least for Pixel owners, we get monthly security updates and Android updates are usually available within days.

Besides, Google customer service is excellent. Never dealt with Samsung but from what I have heard, they have terrible return policies and bad customer service.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Sd card are for storing pictures so you can use them off the Card.

Yeah, and you can find a number of forum posts here and on other boards from people begging for help with recovering "priceless" images from a suddenly corrupt SD card.

I allow my Pixel - previous devices as well - to back up all of my photos and videos to the cloud. From there (http://photos.google.com/), I can easily access them, share them, etc.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

Want to be able to take out my Sd card and use in one of my computers.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

I can walk into best buy and talk with a Samsung rep.

Mhd 1999

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site

100% TRUE

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
For those who prefer using an SD card, there are phones available that will enable you to do just that. Personally, I've seen too many SD card disasters, with users understandably upset because they cannot access the important data they've stored on SD cards that have become unusable. So, I prefer to stick with the cloud and USB drives, and prefer knowing that I can access my stored photos from any computer, etc.

I would hope, cardboard60, that you are not the owner of a Google phone, because Google has made it abundantly clear from the beginning that their phones do not have an SD card slot. So, it would seem to make sense that anyone who feels they must have an SD card slot on their phone would certainly not knowingly purchase a phone that clearly does not have an SD card slot. On the other hand, if you do not own a Google Pixel or Pixel XL, then it would seem there is little point to your complaint about the lack of a feature that is important to you on a phone you don't own and don't intend to purchase.

As you seem quite happy with the features offered by Samsung phones, and seem to have no concern for the less than timely updates, carrier bloat, etc., then it would make sense for you to continue on with that brand. Fortunately, there are plenty of options available in the smartphone market, so most of us should be able to find a device that suits our own individual needs.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Haven't used SD card in a phone in at least a couple years. Just not reliable enough and most flagships have 64 and/or 128 GB options. My 64 GB Nexus 6P has more than enough storage.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
To make the pixel phone and not put a SD card in it.
It's and enough to not make it waterproof.
But to rush it out with no SD card.
What was they thinking.
What was the last time Google made an SD card slot available in one of their devices?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has 32 GB phones standard. And SD cards.

Yeah they did it due to backlash from everyone for not having one when they did. Google w/ their phone has been pretty much on the "no SD card" bandwagon so it isn't surprising.

But try to cut corners to make more money and in the end. Screw their customers.
But still charge high prices.
The Pixel is suppose to be a top end phone.
And Google cut these corners.
Not acceptable.

They gave everyone full resolution backup (unlimited) for their photos/videos. How are they attempting to screw over customers? When did they ever hide the specs of the phone? If doesn't work for you don't get it -- not sure how it means someone is screwing you over when the specs are plastered on their site clear as day.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Bought a 128 GB Pixel. Not a problem for me. Used a third party app to get my itunes on it. The beauty and functionality of the Pixel outweigh all its deficiencies.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, and you can find a number of forum posts here and on other boards from people begging for help with recovering "priceless" images from a suddenly corrupt SD card.

I allow my Pixel - previous devices as well - to back up all of my photos and videos to the cloud. From there (http://photos.google.com/), I can easily access them, share them, etc.

Never heard of a corrupt sd cards.
That is news to me.

Last edited:

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Yeah they did it due to backlash from everyone for not having one when they did. Google w/ their phone has been pretty much on the "no SD card" bandwagon so it isn't surprising.

They gave everyone full resolution backup (unlimited) for their photos/videos. How are they attempting to screw over customers? When did they ever hide the specs of the phone? If doesn't work for you don't get it -- not sure how it means someone is screwing you over when the specs are plastered on their site clear as day.

They didn't have the specs at the franchise verizon store. They quoted me wrong prices trying to get me to sign a plan for a new phone.
I asked about the phones. They told me wrong.
That's what I was talking about.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
What was the last time Google made an SD card slot available in one of their devices?

Couldn't answer that question.
I've had 6 iPhones and 4 Samsung phones.
Don't know or understand about Google phones..thought the pixel was the 1st Google only phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie