Leaving location services on high accuracy

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I also leave location services on high accuracy.
I don't use battery saver option either. As long as I'm making it through a day with some battery left over I'm happy.
:D

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Do you guys have location history enabled?
In Google maps you mean? Yes. Everything is on. Powerful phones like S8 Plus should be used to their fullest. Otherwise why pay all the money to only limit what your phone can do.

In this day and age, there are chargers all over the place. I never worry about battery life.

May 30, 2017
Visit site
Even if you don't use Google Maps or other nav apps, Google Play Services will intermittently take gps points throughout the day if you have high accuracy enabled. You can observe this, particularly when you wake the device up from sleep.

As others have mentioned, the battery drain from this would probably not make much of an impact. Having your screen on and background apps that keep wakelocks on--not allowing your device to sleep--have significant more power drain.

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Lepa79. Hence I'm about to audition a Pixel XL. How ever leaving Location Services ON while inside a building, as where I work, makes no sense to me. I can see the GPS icon actively seeking a signal and that must use battery power, no?
If this, Note3, phone was smart enough it would shut down power sucks like this or WiFi when there's no signal, and it doesn't.
In the 3 -4 years I've had this phone I've run out of charge very few times but I'm also working on my 3rd battery.
Not sure exactly what all that means but I post it to flesh out my concerns and maybe help someone else.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Do you guys have location history enabled?

Nope. Don't need my every movement being tracked. I know where I go and where I've been. Only thing I need location for is photo tagging. Has nothing to do with using a "powerful" phone to its "fullest."

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Nope. Don't need my every movement being tracked. I know where I go and where I've been. Only thing I need location for is photo tagging. Has nothing to do with using a "powerful" phone to its "fullest."
That was in reference to people turning things off for the sole reason of saving battery. If you don't want your movement tracked, then by all means turn it off. That's a totally different discussion and not related to location and battery consumption discussion of this post.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Because location history can poll your location all day and high accuracy enabled that means accessing the actual GPS chip throughout the day

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1