Pixel XL "losing time", clock gets behind, help

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
My Pixel XL has been losing time for lack of a better term. My wife's Pixel (nonXL) is perfectly fine. As of right now I'm 34 minutes behind hers which has the correct time. This happens regularly and is highly annoying. I generally wear a watch but wasn't at the pool today and was using my phone. Now we're half an hour behind on our dinner plans.

Has anyone else experienced or know how to fix this problem?

jleakey

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
My Pixel XL has been losing time for lack of a better term. My wife's Pixel (nonXL) is perfectly fine. As of right now I'm 34 minutes behind hers which has the correct time. This happens regularly and is highly annoying. I generally wear a watch but wasn't at the pool today and was using my phone. Now we're half an hour behind on our dinner plans.

I'd check to make sure your time is set automatically from the carrier.

fd154f618d46b45d7f04f3eee948d79f.jpg

tpero

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
I've seen this happen on laptops, and usually it means the battery is bad - but it's also usually linked to the battery not properly powering dormant functions while the laptop is off and it will get back to the right time within an hour of being powered back on / plugged in. Weird to see it happen on a phone.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I've had time widgets not update and get behind a few times but never the time on the status bar. Were you checking the time on a widget?

Philipmom

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing try a factory reset and see if that solves it. if it doesn't you can at least tell your carrier that it didn't resolve it and they might send you a replacement.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
A variation to the ideas suggested above is to set the time manually and see if it drifts compared to a known good time source. That would help determine if time can be accurately kept without getting time services from the carrier.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think you've got something running in the background that is consuming CPU cycles.

Does your phone feel even slightly warm?

If you force a reboot, does it show the correct time upon startup and then slowly drift away?

Is it always slow? Is it *ever* fast?

How is your battery life?

Lastly, have you enabled Developer Options and, if so, which ones are turned on?

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I thought the same but battery life and looking at what's consuming battery doesn't show anything that odd, android system sometimes gets a little high. Upon reboot its fine for awhile. It's never fast. It'll keep perfect time and then it's almost as if randomly once a week it just stops keeping time for 30 or 45 minutes, its very odd.

I haven't enabled developer options, not sure how to do that but would be willing to take a look if necessary.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I thought the same but battery life and looking at what's consuming battery doesn't show anything that odd, android system sometimes gets a little high. Upon reboot its fine for awhile. It's never fast. It'll keep perfect time and then it's almost as if randomly once a week it just stops keeping time for 30 or 45 minutes, its very odd.

I haven't enabled developer options, not sure how to do that but would be willing to take a look if necessary.

I mentioned Developer Options only because there is stuff in there that can have unforeseen consequences; sometimes people enable something there, forget they have done so, and the later why their phone is acting in unexpected ways. If you have never been there, then it doesn't apply in your case.

If you are curious and want to poke around, however, go to Settings -> About Phone and then tap on Build Number at least 7 times (I think it is 7; could be more) until you see "You are now a developer!" Now, take a look in Settings -> Developer Options.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
As to the other problem, there is a possibility that it is related to a specific cell tower. I would start by disabling network time: Settings -> Date & Time -> disable "Use network-provided time"

If the phone stops losing time, then I would seriously think it is a cell-tower related issue.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Is your wife on the same network? If it is set to use the network time it could be an issue going on with the tower.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, if it was cell tower related then why wouldn't my wife's do the same thing? We're both on Verizon. Our phone settings are identical with regard to time/clock. Further, if it were a sync issue with the tower, making a call might resolve this since you'd have to ping the tower...in my case it made no difference.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Ok a quick update, it did it again this morning on my bike ride, and I know at least one other time I noticed on or after a ride. I use GPS on all my rides and Bluetooth as well.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
When you say your times gets behind. Do you manually correct it ? By turning the automatic time settings off ? Then change the time ?
Does it gradually get behind a few minutes though out the day ?
Then turn the automatic date & time and/or automatic time zone back on ?

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
When you say your times gets behind. Do you manually correct it ? By turning the automatic time settings off ? Then change the time ?
Does it gradually get behind a few minutes though out the day ?
Then turn the automatic date & time and/or automatic time zone back on ?
I have automatic time on. It's supposed to sync with the network. Fiddling with the settings doesn't fix the issue. The only fix is a reboot.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If the time is self-adjusting in exact one-hour increments it is likely that you are connecting to a mis-configured cell tower.

These things can be very difficult to resolve as you need to identify the problematic tower and then get someone at the carrier's higher-level tech support who is willing to look into the issue for you. In the meantime, your best bet is to simply disable automatic time syncing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci