Hey All,

I apologize if this has been covered before. I am thinking of moving from Verizon to T-Mobile to take advantage of the Get Out of Red promo.

I know that the phone will work on T-Mobile just fine, but my question is about future updates. Will I still get the updates automatically or will I have to flash them myself?

Any input would be appreciated!
    06-14-2017 08:08 AM
    It probably will not get updates without the Verizon SIM in it, but not positive that's true. Worst case scenario, keep your SIM card from Verizon and pop it in once a month to update. It doesn't need an active SIM, just a SIM from Verizon. You can also flash the OTA images yourself easily.
    06-14-2017 08:29 AM
    Updates come from Google no matter where you purchase or network you use.
    SparklyPickle likes this.
    06-14-2017 08:45 AM
    It is a Google phone so you get updates from them, like Nexuses.
    06-14-2017 09:09 AM
    I did exactly what you're questioning and have received EVERY update on time. Zero issues for almost 4 months now
    Aquila likes this.
    06-14-2017 09:22 PM
    Great, thanks for all the feedback!
    06-15-2017 02:19 PM
    Not entirely related to your question but i feel the phone functions better on the t mobile network rather than verizon's. Possibly could be because Verizon has poor reception where I live compared to tmo though.
    06-16-2017 09:52 AM
    Not entirely related to your question but i feel the phone functions better on the t mobile network rather than verizon's. Possibly could be because Verizon has poor reception where I live compared to tmo though.
    I tried a T-Mobile SIM in my pixel and the reception was terrible, had to switch back to Verizon sim. Depends on where u live I guess
    06-16-2017 08:28 PM
    The June security update is an exception since there is a separate ota for Verizon and one for T-Mobile and project fi. Since your phone is a Verizon phone, only Verizon can provide your update. However, you won't get the update without a Verizon simm card. A lot of customers who took advantage of the Verizon to T-Mobile promotion are not going to receive updates.
    07-01-2017 04:11 AM
    I just moved 5 lines from VZW to T-Mobile. It's like a breath of fresh air actually. $60 less per month for my family plan, a BOGO offer that saved me $1500 (4 S8's), unlimited data, waived activation fees, and a full refund of all funds needed to break my contracts with VZW. Coverage in the Maryland area is unbelievably good: same as VZW out in the sticks where I live, but way better in/around Baltimore, in my experience, so far. I realize that mileage my vary depending on where you live.

I am the only one in my family with a phone that transfers over to TM. The Pixel XL works great on their network, and the low frequency Band 12 on TM gives me a signal in buildings where VZW had absolutely no signal whatsoever. The Pixel covers that band very nicely.

Everything I've read indicates that all updates happen on the Pixel on all carriers. I am running O, so I am not getting the security updates others are getting anyway. I kept my VZW SIM in the event there's any issues. I really don't think there will be any.

Lastly, I have to say that VZW simply did not give a sh!t that I was leaving. After 13 years of having a 5-line account, and no late payments, their attitude was "see ya!". It looks like TM is eating their lunch with their new subscriber stats for 2016 and 2017 so far, and especially with the number of new customers that have left VZW for TM. No carrier is even close to TM for new customers, and no carrier is close to VZW for losing customers.
    07-01-2017 11:59 AM
    I also moved to T-Mobile and am very pleased with their service and price. The update problem will effect new T-Mobile and project fi customers that moved from Verizon in June. The problem was created by Verizon needing a vendor specific update in June.. Prior to June, there was one common update that Google provided to everyone. I verified this with both Google and Verizon support. I used my old Verizon simm to get June's update. Most new customers that moved from Verizon, will not be aware of this problem, and therefore will not receive updates.
    07-01-2017 07:23 PM
    Assuming that the July update does not get everyone back on the same update path, could the T-Mobile update just be sideloaded to get back to normal OTA updates?
    07-03-2017 10:18 AM
    Assuming that the July update does not get everyone back on the same update path, could the T-Mobile update just be sideloaded to get back to normal OTA updates?
    As long as the dates are in the right sequence, yes.
    07-03-2017 10:20 AM
    Thanks for the input everybody, it all helped me make the choice to switch this morning. I am seeing both improved speed and coverage so far.
    07-03-2017 02:43 PM
    mbarney:
    Nice. Now go uncheck the "Only on Wifi" settings that you may have had, such as Google Music, if you use that. I realize that some apps will use less battery when you force your phone to only update on wifi, but in general, it's just great to have unlimited data. Streaming on-the-go is a beautiful thing.
    07-04-2017 06:43 AM
    The July security update was just released today, and again, Verizon has a separate download.
    07-05-2017 12:31 PM
    Good news. I received the July security update for T-Mobile today. Google must have fixed the problem and did not identify my phone as a Verizon phone as they fid last month.
    billykac likes this.
    07-05-2017 04:54 PM
    I received my T-Mobile version today as well.
    07-05-2017 07:50 PM
    That is one of the first things that I did. I will agree that not having to worry about downloading podcasts and having pictures upload right away is pretty nice.
    07-06-2017 06:41 AM
    I hope that anyone that wanted to escape VZW for T-Mobile did it prior to today, as I just read that T-Mobile raised their plan rates to match VZW's. But, since T-Mobile rates are all-inclusive of any fees/add-on charges, it's probably still less money per month than VZW.

I guess T-Mobile's subscriber growth and network performance has them thinking they can charge the top tier rates.
    07-06-2017 01:42 PM
    I got in at the $5 HD video price. Even with that price my plan is only $100 total for two like with T-mobile. At Verizon I was paying $116 for two lines of 12gb combined data after my employers 19% discount.
    07-06-2017 07:12 PM