maps now runs in background - didn't previously

donaldmd13

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
So, when I use Google maps for navigation now, it seems it stay 'on' when I go to the home screen. Previously, when I had directions running, when I went to the home screen, I used to be able to pull down notifications screen and 'exit navigation' (or more recently, I think it even 'stopped' altogether).

Now, when I go to home screen, there is no 'exit nav' from the pull down and I can see that it's 'still running' because the pinpoint-thingy is shown on the right side of the notifications bar. When I hit the 'running apps' [right square soft button] and swipe maps off, the pinpoint disappears.

I noticed my battery drained pretty fast one day and I think it was because Maps was still running in the background when it wasn't even on the screen. Did anyone else notice this and is it a big deal? I hate the fact that if I'm on a long trip and use maps at the beginning, but don't need it in anymore, it's still running the whole time (unless I swipe it off). Seems very inefficient. Anyone notice this? Thanks.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
If you started Navigation, it is designed to run in the background. It's been this way for a while so that you can check other apps without losing navigation (check a message, change a song, etc).

You have to hit the "X" in the bottom of the Maps app where it has the time to destination to stop Nav. Simply pressing the home button will not stop Nav.

But you are correct that the "Exit Navigation" option has disappeared from the Drop Down Notification menu. Not sure when that happened, but I did notice this as well.