Just got the Pixel and I have two questions

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Hey!

So I got the Pixel yesterday (amazing) but there are two (very small) things that are not what I expected.

First the Pill. I got the Pill with both the Google logo and the Mic. How can I remove the Mic?

Second the home icon doesn't do the 4 color animation. It acts like all on screen Android buttons (transparent white around). How do I get the animation?

Thanks!

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Did you turn off animations in developer options?

No I never play with the developer options or the System UI Tuner.

You need to set up Google Assistant, then your home button will have the dots

Ah that would explain it! I'm using it in French Canadian and it's not available for now (looking forward to that too). Thanks!

But what about the Pill though?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Oh it seems the mic icon is also because of Google Assistant not being installed (if anyone can confirm).

The Google Pill is the same as the standard Google Search bar that shows on other android phones.
The same is true with the mic icon that's on the Google Pill, just as the mic icon on the Google Search bar
Its more related to a Google Search feature ,instead of Google Assistant.
I don't think you can remove the mic.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
The Google Pill is the same as the standard Google Search bar that shows on other android phones.
The same is true with the mic icon that's on the Google Pill, just as the mic icon on the Google Search bar
Its more related to a Google Search feature ,instead of Google Assistant.
I don't think you can remove the mic.

But the mic isn't present on most screenshots or even on demo devices I've seen in stores. Yet it's on mine.

This is what I expected:

nomic.jpg

This is what I have

mic.jpg

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I'll have to wait until Google Assistant is available for me to know then. In the meantime it's just a mic icon so no big deal, I think I can live with it! ;)