Some questions about rooting, custom ROMs, bootloaders and such

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Hey!

I just got a Pixel from Rogers (in Canada) but I'm coming from a world of Samsung and Motorola. So I have some questions.

• First, is the bootloader locked or unlocked on a Pixel?
  • Second, if it's locked and I unlock it, is there a permanent screen that says it's been unlocked like on Motorola phones?
  • Third, does Google void your warranty if you root and/or install a custom ROM?
  • Lastly, if you unroot your phone and flash the official stock Android from Google, is there a Knox like thing that will show that the device has been rooted or has had a custom ROM installed?

In other words are we free to do what we want with our device?

Thanks!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi there!

1) The bootloader on a Pixel is locked by default. If yours doesn't run specialized carrier software, you can unlock it by using ADB and typing "fastboot flashing unlock".
2) Yes, once the bootloader is unlocked, a warning screen will display, telling you that the device is unlocked, as shown below.
unnamed.png
3) As far as I know, Google doesn't void warranties due to bootloader unlocking.

4) There doesn't seem to be a flashing counter on the Pixel. When you unlock the bootloader, Android's Verified Boot feature kicks in and SafetyNet is tripped, causing some restrictions. There are workarounds, but the official method is to reflash an official factory image if custom firmware is installed and relocking the bootloader.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi there!

1) The bootloader on a Pixel is locked by default. If yours doesn't run specialized carrier software, you can unlock it by using ADB and typing "fastboot flashing unlock".
2) Yes, once the bootloader is unlocked, a warning screen will display, telling you that the device is unlocked, as shown below.
View attachment 263371
3) As far as I know, Google doesn't void warranties due to bootloader unlocking.

4) There doesn't seem to be a flashing counter on the Pixel. When you unlock the bootloader, Android's Verified Boot feature kicks in and SafetyNet is tripped, causing some restrictions. There are workarounds, but the official method is to reflash an official factory image if custom firmware is installed and relocking the bootloader.

Wow thanks for that detailed reply!

So if I tru custom ROMs and such and just reflash an official factory image and relock the bootloader, the phone will act as it did when it was taken out of the box?

For instance, the Motorola warning screen never goes away even if you relock the bootloader. Once its been tripped there's no going back (you can of course modify te logo.bin file to remove the screen but I mean officially). That doesn't happen with the Pixel when you put everything official back and relock the bootloader?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Wow thanks for that detailed reply!

So if I tru custom ROMs and such and just reflash an official factory image and relock the bootloader, the phone will act as it did when it was taken out of the box?

For instance, the Motorola warning screen never goes away even if you relock the bootloader. Once its been tripped there's no going back (you can of course modify te logo.bin file to remove the screen but I mean officially). That doesn't happen with the Pixel when you put everything official back and relock the bootloader?
That should be the case.

If you flash the official factory image completely and relock the bootloader, the phone would act as if it had never been unlocked before. Once you relock that bootloader, Android's Verified boot sees a clean system image and SafetyNet is passed.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
That should be the case.

If you flash the official factory image completely and relock the bootloader, the phone would act as if it had never been unlocked before. Once you relock that bootloader, Android's Verified boot sees a clean system image and SafetyNet is passed.

Awesome thanks! I like freedom! ;-)

There is the Rogers app preinstalled on my phone though But I don't know if it's installed along with Allo, Duo and the other apps that are installed during the first boot or if it's a modified image.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Before I do that, is that going to unlock it? I wasn't going to do it now as I don't need it for the moment, I just wanted to know if I could.
Yes, it will.

It will erase data, though. Make sure you have stuff properly backed up if you're going to push ahead.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer