Hi,

Just about to order a Pixel XL and wanted to ask an updates question.

I am moving from a BB DTEK60 as we have not received any sec updates for 2 months, only 1 in the last 4 and there is no info coming out of BB either, so knowing their history (being a BB user for several years) I guess the device is now EOL with no support or certainly heading that way, after only 8 months of being released.

So one of the reasons for the Pixel choice is the hope that security updates and maybe even OS updates will be more reliable.... is that the case?

Thanks
    07-12-2017 05:53 AM
    Receive updates monthly.
    07-12-2017 06:34 AM
    Receive updates monthly.
    Thanks, what about OS updates (not that I am concerned to much about them) would you expect Android O with the Pixel 2 around the corner?
    07-12-2017 06:42 AM
    Thanks, what about OS updates (not that I am concerned to much about them) would you expect Android O with the Pixel 2 around the corner?
    This is Google's phone. It will get immediate updates both security and os until fall next year and then security only for another year after. This is the phone that updates
    xzell and billchat like this.
    07-12-2017 08:15 AM
    This is Google's phone. It will get immediate updates both security and os until fall next year and then security only for another year after. This is the phone that updates
    This is why I cannot see myself not having a Pixel. I am sold on it. When the P2 comes out, I'll check it out and probably buy one.
    07-12-2017 10:25 AM
    I'll probably get the Pixel 2 shortly after it comes out. I wanna give a little time from release to make sure it doesn't have any significant bugs. But, for now, the Pixel is a fantastic phone! If Pixel 2 is not worth the price when it comes out, the Pixel will serve me well for at least 2 years. The updates have been immediate for me with my Pixel on Verizon.
    billchat and DMP89145 like this.
    07-12-2017 08:56 PM
    The Pixel is a brilliant device. I loved mine for the 6 months I used it. I am currently using the S8 Plus and a G6 and occasionally miss the Pixel.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    07-12-2017 09:12 PM
    security only for another year after
    So does that mean I will only get security updates until next year, so you get 24 months of security updates from time of the phone being released? In that case I might wait for the Pixel 2.
    07-13-2017 08:00 AM
    So does that mean I will only get security updates until next year, so you get 24 months of security updates from time of the phone being released? In that case I might wait for the Pixel 2.
    No, 3 years of security. Fall 2016 through fall 2019. Os updates guaranteed through fall 2018
    07-13-2017 08:15 AM
    No, 3 years of security. Fall 2016 through fall 2019. Os updates guaranteed through fall 2018
    Ah ok sorry mis-read, that pretty awesome, especially considering my Blackberry DEK60 has stopped receiving security updates after 8 months and has had no OS update.
    Rocketsaucev2 likes this.
    07-13-2017 08:23 AM
    I'd get the Pixel. I don't think you will regret it.
    DMP89145 and xzell like this.
    07-13-2017 10:14 AM
    if u need update pixel is the way to go. u will get android O by end of this year and android P by end of next year.
    even if u buy now u will be on the latest version of OS and security update for 2.5 more years. who know with project tremble on Pixel u might get more than 2.5 years
    07-14-2017 04:50 PM
    Ah ok sorry mis-read, that pretty awesome, especially considering my Blackberry DEK60 has stopped receiving security updates after 8 months and has had no OS update.
    I am a long time BlackBerry user and though the KEYone has been tempting I have not made the purchase yet. I am on my Pixel XL after using the Galaxy S8+ for a little while after release. Like every other Samsung phone it just didn't satisfy me. I am now back on my Pixel XL which I've had since release from Verizon last year. We will get 2 years of software updates followed by a third year of security updates. For me this is great even though I will probably pick up the Pixel XL 2 when it's released. I love getting updates quickly and directly from Google and so far the experience has been the best I've ever had in Android. To me it truly is the iPhone of the Android world.
    Davidoo likes this.
    07-23-2017 06:29 PM
    This is my first Google phone, having every other odd numbered Galaxy phone (1, 3, 5) - never got the 7. Managed to get it through work (I'm in IT) and I am pleased with my Pixel XL so far and it hasn't even been a week. Battery life is great, and as soon as I turned it on and restored my apps from my S5 I was informed that an update was available taking me to 7.1.2 on July's security patch immediately.

Monthly security patches were something I NEVER got on my S5 because (mostly) of my carrier (Bell in Canada) deciding not to push them out. Now I know that I'm getting them every month and will only be on Nougat (the S5 is stuck on Marshmallow) a couple of months before the update to O and then P. After that, one additional year of security updates then I'll most likely get another new phone (definitely another Google phone).
    Yesterday 11:17 AM