Pixel now? Or pixel 2 later?

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm debating. Need feedback. Is the Pixel future proofed enough to go with
it or would you wait?
Doubtful Pixel 2 has much over the Pixel. So I'd normally say not to wait but the Pixel is still pretty damn expensive on both new and used markets and the Pixel 2 is what a month and a half away. If you are spending anywhere near full price go Pixel 2.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I positively love my Pixel XL. I could easily see it lasting me another year with no problems. Getting a new phone every year and selling the other one is one of the luxuries I allow myself. So, it tray depends on how much the price of the existing Pixel line drops, and how badly you need a phone right now. Of you can snag a good deal on a Pixel, it's a great device. The 2 will have some incremental improvements. I'm looking for the front facing speakers and water resistance. Other than than there's nothing I'm lacking in the released line. And, you would get a headphone jack for whike at least

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I think it all boils down to Money. I waited until recently to get the Pixel XL until the price dropped. I absolutely Love this phone. I have had a few but this is the best ever for me. I have not been as attached to one like this in a few years. I would never have paid $750 for it.

The Pixel 2 will be pricey too. I won't even consider it until the price drops. But that is just me. I am sure it will be a fine phone.

And of course if you gotta have a headphone jack, get the original Pixel.

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Pixel 2 may have dual front-facing speakers. For that I would get the new one to replace my 6P (which I bought last August, I'm OK with saving a bit in trade for not having the newest). The speakers are not a MUST HAVE feature but my battery is getting a little worn out and that would be enough for me to cough up the cash.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
And of course if you gotta have a headphone jack, get the original Pixel.

My grandson was here the other day, saw the XL on the table - picks it up and 1st comment - "Cool, it has a headphone jack, lots of the new phones don't"

I may have a "customer" for the XL when the 2's come out - ;)

I am not liking what I see so far of the new XL - probably not in the cards for me.
Will look at the regular Pixel and see if there is anything worth upgrading for.

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was going to wait but the rumors didn't seem that promising and when Google dropped the XL price by $200 I just decided to go for it. Wish it had front facing speakers, better water proofing and always on HDR but it is a good phone for the money. Wouldn't pay retail and def wouldn't for Pixel 2. Came from the 5x for almost 2 years.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I would get the Pixel or even when the Pixel 2 comes out simply from a price vs support stand point. It's cheaper a year later but you know it's not being abandonned like the S7 that barely has any updates since the S8 came out. Get the Pixel 2 in a year for the same reason :p

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I just bought a Pixel 128GB black from Project Fi, and have been using it now for 1 week (to the day).
I'm returning it.
Coming from an S7, there's trade-off's, and to be honest this phone isn't (to me) worth the (still incredibly higher) price tag of ~$700. Yes, the Pixel has like zero lag compared to the S7, but there's so many little bells/whistles in the S7 that I've come to rely on (cropping a screen shot, for example) that are native to the phone.

I'm initiating the return process tomorrow and going back to my S7 for now until I see what the Pixel 2 looks like, and maybe the Note8.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
^^^ That's part of the trade off with stock Android. You have to find apps to do that stuff like Photoshop or PicsArt. You'd be surprised how fast you adapt to it. Pixel prices will probably come down further after Pixel 2 release. Another reason to wait.

mrvco

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, more want than need since my 5x is still working fine. I definitely don't want to pay full retail for a Pixel at this point and I missed the $200 off deal that Google ran recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome