Verizon Pixel Oreo update.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I know some don't like these postings, but I bet it is weeks or even months before Verizon rolls this out to those of us with stock Verizon purchased devices. The security updates are one thing, which they have done a good job on, but an entire new OS? I'm partly writing this hoping to be proven wrong.

lcalle

Aug 24, 2017
Visit site
Not being snarky at all! My inquiry was in complete seriousness. I just put quotes around the Beta because I know it's the final version, but you still have to enroll in the "Beta" program if you want to get it early.

masseurca

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
HD calling is there or you can enable it through the dialer with the usual code. HD Video is gone, so can't switch to a video call with my wife anymore after trying the DP4. No matter what I do.

blackhemi4x4

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
HD calling is there or you can enable it through the dialer with the usual code. HD Video is gone, so can't switch to a video call with my wife anymore after trying the DP4. No matter what I do.
How do you know if it's HD video or regular? I can still switch to a video call

formerflyboy

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
If you don't have the Oreo update for the Pixel XL I'm not sure I'd get in a big hurry. My XL was running well for the most part, other than the occasional random reboot but with the Oreo update I've had the following issues:

- CPU runs at 106-108 F even at idle.
- I'm guessing this has something to do with sleep mode but if I let my phone sit for a period of time with the screen off it will refuse to wake up when I use my fingerprint to try to unlock or press the power button. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes to wake and then acts like it's rebooting, requiring my PIN (required after a restart).
- A lot of freezing up or running very slowly. So bad that the clock will freeze up and it won't respond to a held down power key to try to reboot.Of course when it finally catches up and reboots it stays black like it's trying to come out of sleep mode.

All in all, the improvements aren't worth it for the problems I'm suddenly having in a phone that cost close to a grand.

lcalle

Aug 24, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the great info! I'm still on Nougat and haven't had a single problem with my Pixel XL since I got it in April. This is mainly what's made me so nervous to jump into the Final Beta/ official release by joining the Beta program. I've read stories like yours all over the internet since Oreo's launch just a few days ago. I'm getting more and more content to stay put on Nougat until the network's release of Oreo. Even though not everyone is having issues when they download Oreo now, I think enough people are that Google's having to re-think a few things before sending it to Verizon for approval.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I'm not in any real hurry to get it until issues are worked out. As with other updates from not only google but others as well it seems to be fix one thing break 5 in the process. Id rather wait

nextorbit

Aug 23, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I bought the Pixel XL from Verizon and I use the Verizon network. I used the beta program to upgrade to Oreo the day it was released. The items that are missing are both HD and WIFI calling features. If you can live without these, by all means upgrade. All else seems to be functioning properly.

blackhemi4x4

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't have the option in the dialer for the HD video calling but I can access it through the contact. I don't think it gives me an option while I'm on the call either but I could initiate the call for my video call

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
In the dialer type:
*#*#4636#*#*
Phone Information
Turn on VoLTE
Turn on Video Calling
Turn on Wi-Fi Calling
Exit
Then either turn on airplane mode for a minute and back off, or
Restart the phone

nextorbit

Aug 23, 2017
Visit site
In the dialer type:
*#*#4636#*#*
Phone Information
Turn on VoLTE
Turn on Video Calling
Turn on Wi-Fi Calling
Exit
Then either turn on airplane mode for a minute and back off, or
Restart the phone

Matty, You are the man! Thanks for this information. I now have HD calling back but the WIFI calling is not available. The WIFI calling was enabled when I entered the code you provided. I even checked and unchecked the option but I don't see WIFI calling options anywhere. HD calling was more important to me anyway.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Seems legit. I just checked on my verizon phone and nothing yet.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...upport/google-pixel-xl-update/&token=rvXUXaVd

this is how google update work.

1. Beta testers get it first(at least thats the trend from last year)
2. updates roll out in batches, starting with 1 percent of all devices in the first 24-48 hours. The team checks for problems, and if everything goes to plan, proceeds to update the next batch, typically consisting of 25 percent of devices. So the percentage of updated devices goes from 1%, to 25%, to 50%, to 75%, to 100% over a period of 1-2 weeks.

here is the complete explanation from googler

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/co...at_has_started_rolling_out_on_the_n4/cdiwt6f/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol