Verizon Pixel Oreo update.

fludkilla

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
So if you go the beta route do you have to opt out? Or will you get Android P beta's when that time comes? If you opt out after the official build does it wipe your phone like if you opt out of a Developer Preview?

From what I read if you want to leave O it will whipe your device. So back everything up. Im tempted to enroll but I haven't even ssen what O does lol The beta closes soon I believe

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Again with the questioning if Verizon is delaying updates idiocy? I would've hoped that was cleared up by now.
Well it is perfectly cleared up for monthly security updates but this is the first major OS upgrade which is much larger than just a security update so I think it's a valid question as this is where Verizon could truly screw it up. So until this update has come and gone we won't know for sure how well they are handling the major updates.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I am on beta and got this last night.
6e04377819ece8c9494b0213810d4312.jpg

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Anyone that chooses to join the "O" beta program will get their Oreo update pretty much immediately. Since Google will NOT automatically re-enroll you in the next beta (version "P") you don't have to do anything else. You don't need to opt out or change anything. Your membership in the "O" beta will just expire. By enrolling in the beta and accepting the Oreo update, you are getting the FINAL version of Android 8.0.

Android Version: 8.0.0
Security patch level: August 5
Build number: OPR6.170623.12

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure but I just enrolled in the beta and am now on the final version of Oreo. I guess I'll see how long it is until my girlfriend's pixel gets it since she isn't on the beta.
Did you get a "normal" OTA or did you have to go through the beta phone wipe process?

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. Now I have to mull this over, cuz it means early updates to MRs as they come out too. Wonder if it's all worth it just to get O now...
Well I see it says you will only be sent an OTA that will wipe your phone when you unenroll if you are on a beta. But right now I'm not on a beta has anyone else that is on the final release gone and unenrolled from the program and not had to wipe their device?

Mungus99

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Well I see it says you will only be sent an OTA that will wipe your phone when you unenroll if you are on a beta. But right now I'm not on a beta has anyone else that is on the final release gone and unenrolled from the program and not had to wipe their device?

Not enrolled for a month, wiped back to stock 7.1.2. Received 8.0 within 2 hrs of release. VZW pixel xl

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I enrolled this morning got the update immediately. I just went and unenrolled in the beta program and didn't get an OTA to install that would wipe my phone. So I am now on stable 8.0.0 and won't receive anymore beta updates

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I enrolled this morning got the update immediately. I just went and unenrolled in the beta program and didn't get an OTA to install that would wipe my phone. So I am now on stable 8.0.0 and won't receive anymore beta updates
Ok, that's a clincher. Thanks!

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Well it is perfectly cleared up for monthly security updates but this is the first major OS upgrade which is much larger than just a security update so I think it's a valid question as this is where Verizon could truly screw it up. So until this update has come and gone we won't know for sure how well they are handling the major updates.

No, it's not a valid question. Verizon's track record with THIS PHONE is immediate updates, so with this phone, that track record is all that counts. Maybe if the phone were released 2 or 3 months ago your question would be valid, but it's not now. What will be your next"valid" question? "Will this monthly update be on time, it's the first since Android 8?" "Will this monthly update be on time, it's the first since the Pixel 2 was released?"."will this update be on time, it's the first since...?"
This isn't valid at all, it's a continuation of the idiocy started last year with articles insisting that people don't get the Verizon version of the Pixel because updates will definitely be delayed.
Stop it. Just stop it. Until Verizon delays updates to this phone, there is no valid reason at all to question if an update will be on time or not. None.