Oreo: Is this delay normal?

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I bought the Pixel because I was told I was getting Android directly from Google as they were released. Lo and behold Oreo gets released last week and still no OTA update a week later.

I know I know I could just get into the beta program and get it today but that's not the point of my post. I'm talking about OTA.

Getting the updates directly from Google when they're released I honestly and maybe naively thought I was getting it on the same day like the iPhone. But now we have to wait for carrier testing (which is always pretty slow because carriers are crap) and all we're being told by Google is 'soon' which honestly means nothing. I was a Motorola user and my Moto X Play was supposed to get Nougat 'soon' a year ago and it's still not available.

Is this delay normal? User of Nexus phones, how long approximately did you usually have to wait for new versions of Android?

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
In this case, I think it was only announced, not released. The ROM isn't available for download on Google: https://developers.google.com/android/images

Once it hits that page, it will be quick.

Oh I see. I thought since it was downloadable and installable it was considered released but held back by carrier testing. So it was 'released' only to devs and carriers in reality but not really released?

I always get the security update, in about 20 days later... will it be the same for Oreo?

20 days? Who's your carrier? I get them usually 5 days after the beginning of the month.

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I'll consider Oreo released once Google makes the OTA images available for download. Until then, I really don't want it... let others work out the bugs, I'll wait.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
But now we have to wait for carrier testing (which is always pretty slow because carriers are crap) and all we're being told by Google is 'soon' which honestly means nothing.

I'm assuming only those who purchased through Verizon are being told that.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm assuming only those who purchased through Verizon are being told that.

I'm not with Verizon. But I don't think that's accurate given it's not just Verizon users who are not getting the update yet. Furthermore, there were reports of bugs and as far as I know they weren't just on Verizon phones.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
And here I thought that's what the 6 month beta was for!

Oh, software is never 'done'. I did remember reading that there were a few things they needed to address in the Pixel... I've worked in the software industry for far too long and there is never enough time to finish a release. :)

It'll get the official push out soon enough.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
It is a bit disappointing though. All the hype about August 21st that it would be rolling out to Pixels on that day. Then we find out only to those who were in beta. And now the old "in carrier testing" which in the past has meant months before it was rolled out. Hopefully not that long this time. Verizon has been great on getting us the monthly security updates at the same time as everyone else, so that is a positive.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
The big announcement and unveiling was supposed to coincide with the solar eclipse. Obviously, the eclipse could not be rescheduled, so Google made the best of what they had to work with. I think the original plan was to release Oreo on that date, but there were bugs and glitches yet to be resolved and thus the delay of the rollout. I really don't think this has anything to do with carriers. (I'm on Project Fi.) Anyway, that's my best guess.

I have spent a good many years working with software, and I have learned it doesn't pay to rush. My reasoning is that if Google doesn't feel their product is stable enough to release for OTA downloading, then I will simply wait until it is ready.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
The big announcement and unveiling was supposed to coincide with the solar eclipse. Obviously, the eclipse could not be rescheduled, so Google made the best of what they had to work with. I think the original plan was to release Oreo on that date, but there were bugs and glitches yet to be resolved and thus the delay of the rollout. I really don't think this has anything to do with carriers. (I'm on Project Fi.) Anyway, that's my best guess.

I have spent a good many years working with software, and I have learned it doesn't pay to rush. My reasoning is that if Google doesn't feel their product is stable enough to release for OTA downloading, then I will simply wait until it is ready.

My initial question wasn't a complaint though. If it's not ready, it's not ready. I was more wondering if that's how it went for Nexus users in with previous versions. Was there a big reveal and then eventually the release? I had the feeling it was all done the same day before. I was also wondering what 'soon' meant for Google as opposed to OEMs who use this word rather largely.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
How google update works

t is, mostly.
Rollouts are conducted in phases. Typically they start at 1% of devices for around 24 - 48 hours; we watch the return rates and resulting device checkins and error reports (if any), and make sure nothing looks wrong before sending it to more. Then typically it goes to 25%, 50%, 100% over the course of a week or two.
What the percentages mean is that when your device checks in, it has a 1% chance (for example) of being offered the OTA. If it doesn't (randomly) get an offer, it will never get an offer until the next batch.
IOW, once your device checks in and gets turned down, that's it until the next batch. Mashing on the "check for updates" button just causes your device to check in again, and get automatically turned down again. Think about how that makes your device feel! WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE PHONES?!
That said, once the new batch does start, hitting that button does give you a new roll of the dice -- but once. Since devices usually only check in for system updates every 24 hours (I think? Certainly on a many-hours basis) this can get you your shot sooner than it would happen on its own.
So, mash away. :) Just be patient, and mashing on it more often than once or twice a day isn't going to gain you anything.
Edit: also, keep in mind that this isn't first-come/first-served. You're not racing other devices to get your slot in the current batch, or something.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/co...at_has_started_rolling_out_on_the_n4/cdiwt6f/

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
My initial question wasn't a complaint though. If it's not ready, it's not ready. I was more wondering if that's how it went for Nexus users in with previous versions. Was there a big reveal and then eventually the release? I had the feeling it was all done the same day before. I was also wondering what 'soon' meant for Google as opposed to OEMs who use this word rather largely.

Whether it's a big upgrade or a monthly security update, updates do not come down the pike all at once, they come in batches. Some people may receive an update the day it's released, and others may not receive an update until one, two, or even three weeks after it's released.

A rollout is no respecter of persons (or phones, assuming it's an update that's being released for multiple models at the same time). My husband has a Nexus 5X. I have a Pixel XL. Sometimes, much to my chagrin, his phone receives an update days before mine, and sometimes my phone gets an update first, in which case he doesn't give a rip. Usually, but not always, we receive the updates no more than two or three days apart.

Mikey D_PhD

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
The OTA files are up on the Android Developer site, so it should be rolling out. My VZW Pixel XL got it about 1.5 hours ago.

Edit: I was never on the beta. This was an OTA update.