How to get rid of annoying notification?

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Since I updated my XL to Oreo yesterday I have an annoying notification I can't get rid of. I use GMD immersive to hide my on screen navigation buttons on the bottom of the screen. The app works well for this.

Since I updated yesterday I have a notification that you can pull down from the top status bar with a downward pointing arrow that says "GMD Immersive is displaying over other apps...if you didn't want this tap enter and change the settings."

Well, for GMD to work it has to be set this way. There is no problem as it is working fine. Just wondering how to turn off this Android System notification. I see no options to dismiss it, only too change the setting.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes... This is new to 8.0 and no, you will not be able to eliminate the notification, only snooze it. You will also see a similar notification for apps that have to constantly run in the background, like Tasker.

I get that there is a tendency to get grumpy at Google for forcing such an apparently annoying notification on us. But your ire shouldn't be directed at Google...it SHOULD be directed at those that developed malware that was designed to take advantage of system functions like this in order to deceive users. Any app that overlays the screen like this can see EVERYTHING you do... every entered password, credit card number or PIN, etc.

It was done this way because, being a system notification, you (or a malicious app) can't send it on its merry way never to be seen again.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Since I updated my XL to Oreo yesterday I have an annoying notification I can't get rid of. I use GMD immersive to hide my on screen navigation buttons on the bottom of the screen. The app works well for this.

Since I updated yesterday I have a notification that you can pull down from the top status bar with a downward pointing arrow that says "GMD Immersive is displaying over other apps...if you didn't want this tap enter and change the settings."

Well, for GMD to work it has to be set this way. There is no problem as it is working fine. Just wondering how to turn off this Android System notification. I see no options to dismiss it, only too change the setting.

Android O feature spotlight: Notifications for apps displaying over other apps can once again be disabled

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes... This is new to 8.0 and no, you will not be able to eliminate the notification, only snooze it. You will also see a similar notification for apps that have to constantly run in the background, like Tasker.

I get that there is a tendency to get grumpy at Google for forcing such an apparently annoying notification on us. But your ire shouldn't be directed at Google...it SHOULD be directed at those that developed malware that was designed to take advantage of system functions like this in order to deceive users. Any app that overlays the screen like this can see EVERYTHING you do... every entered password, credit card number or PIN, etc.

It was done this way because, being a system notification, you (or a malicious app) can't send it on its merry way never to be seen again.

actually you can disable "GMD Immersive is displaying over other apps" long press and go to all category and there will be an option to disable that.

it was only enabled on the stable version
Android O feature spotlight: Notifications for apps displaying over other apps can once again be disabled

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, the method listed in the linked article on Android Police took care of it. I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to long press to fix it that way. The Android Police method to enable "show system" then Android System app notifications is where the setting to turn it off was located.

Djtechie

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
David, can you link to that article? I'm stuck trying to figure out how to turn off this annoying notification for GlassWeather

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams