Android 8.0 update cannot mount to USB 3.0

progrockfan

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
My desktop computer can no longer mount my Pixel after 8.0 Oreo through the USB 3.0 connection with Windows or Linux. USB 2.0 works with both Windows and Linux.

Last edited:

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Cannot mount to PC after Android 8.0 update

I have the Pixel with Android 8.0. I have a desktop with Windows 10. Using the cable that came with my Pixel with USB C and USB A, my Pixel connects fine with my desktop. My desktop immediately beeped and asked me what I wanted the new device to do.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

You do realize that, after physically connecting, you need to

1. Make sure the Pixel is powered on and not locked and
  2. Drag down the notification bar; look for something that says (okay, I forget what it says exactly but something like connected to USB for charging...) - tap that and select File Transfer Mode.

progrockfan

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site

Yes of course I know the obvious of the pull down and selecting file transfer mode. I used this computer and this phone everyday to transfer music back and forward on USB 3.0 prior to Android 8.0 update.

My power supply is a 630W, and the board is an FM2 Gigabyte using a quadcore 3.6Ghz. Homebuilt and stable as a rock for a solid 5 years.

Thank you for the responses. I can only assume this is a bug that will be fixed with an update.

Last edited:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Yes of course I know the obvious of the pull down and selecting file transfer mode. ...

Sorry for stating the obvious, but many people do not know these things.

I can tell that my Pixel still connects to my Windows 10 PC without any issues; just transferred some music yesterday, as a matter of fact.

One thing that has worked in the past, go into Windows Device Manager and delete *all* entries in any way related to your phone or any other Android device. Reconnect your phone and see what happens.

progrockfan

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site

I have done the device manager route in Windows, and rescanned for new devices. I end up in the same situation where Windows or Linux does not even seem to recognize the device through the USB 3.0 port that was used everyday with Android 7.

If others with USB 3.0 can test this out, that would be great! Thanks!

Last edited:

jackinthefox

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I had this same problem on nexus 6p. when i plugged in id didnt ask what i wanted to do with the usb connection so it just charged. in developers options under the networking header there is "select usb configuration" where you can select mtp or whatever you want to do. worked for me. HTH

edit: i did confirm the device was recognized by adb first.
edit2: annoyingly, I also have to do this everytime as it does not remember the setting.

Last edited:

antnewyork

Sep 6, 2017
Visit site

I'm having the exact same issue since upgrading to Oreo. Device mgr showed 'pixel' under Portable devices, with an exclamation. I Removed it and now it comes back showing 'MTP USB Device' with an exclamation. Still Not working. I have tried it on 2 other Win 10 PCs and it works normally as it always did. I'll have to try copying the drivers off the working PCs.

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Mine's still working on Windows 10 as well. Definitely not an issue with the phone hardware or with Oreo, but with your Windows drivers.

jojo131

Sep 12, 2017
Visit site
Similar issue here too. Pixel XL didn't ask me what to do with the usb connection. I have tried with USB 2.0, USB 3.0, WIN 7, WIN 10, all failed....it cannot be recongized by adb either, and no response even I selected MTP in the developers options....

OTG usb works well so at least the hardware itself should be fine....

oli484

Sep 30, 2017
Visit site
I have the same problem with Mac OS 10.11.6 and Pixel XL (Android 8.0.0 with latest updates) using Android File Transfer program (latest version). Send feedback to google.

But it runs fine with Mac OS 10.12.6 inside Parallels 13 VM using Android File Transfer program (latest version).

Kayack

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
The problem seems clear to me and it's OREO. Since I have owned by pixel I have been able to connect it and transfer files to my WIN 10 computers USB 3.0 port until Android 8.0. Now I have to use one of my computer's USB 2.0 ports to transfer file, the USB 3.0 port no longer works.
Google owns Android, Google owns Pixel and Google owns this problem THEY need to fix it!

Kayack

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
The problem seems clear to me and it's OREO. Since I have owned by pixel I have been able to connect it and transfer files to my WIN 10 computers USB 3.0 port until Android 8.0. Now I have to use one of my computer's USB 2.0 ports to transfer file, the USB 3.0 port no longer works.
Google owns Android, Google owns Pixel and Google owns this problem THEY need to fix it!

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Dell laptop. Windows 10. All 4 USB 3.0 ports connect to my Pixel XL. As do the USB 2.0 ports (I have two of those).

The problem seems clear to me and it's OREO

Problem is not so clear now.

markcmh

Dec 3, 2017
Visit site
Make sure you are plugging directly into the computers USB port and not a USB hub. I had the same issue until i connected direct to the computer.

lind777

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5X running 8.0.0 build 170623.023 and I cannot connect to my HP Windows 10 Zbook 15. I tried both USB 2.0 and 3.0 (directly on laptop) and through a hub and no recognition by Nexus 5X. It worked fine prior to upgrading to 8.0.0 and I tried three different cables from different manufacturers. Google needs to work with Microsoft to figure this out as Google did something to change things.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463