11-06-2017 05:40 PM
81 1234
tools
    Doesn't VZ Cloud only work to backup/restore the Verizon Messages+, not other SMS Apps?
    09-07-2017 08:33 PM
    I had the exact same problem. Spent time with Level 1 and Level 2 (both working hard, but had no solutions). I reset my phone to factory settings and started clean. Started receiving texts again for about a week.

Just yesterday texts stopped again. I can send SMS and MMS and others receive, but I don't get responses. Talked to Level 2 again and they can see that the incoming text messages are "terminating" meaning that Verizon is receiving the incoming text and sending them to the device and it says the device received them.

So, I reset my phone again but this time chose to restore from cloud back up. Interestingly, the messages I did not receive were there on my phone from the cloud backup??? Able to send and receive but seems to be stopping again.

Based on the above, it has to be Android/Messenger based, because the incoming text I did not receive were backed up to Google Cloud from the device backup, but never showed up on my device. not sure where else to post this - doesn't seem to be a Verizon problem, but an Android/Messenger problem
    09-08-2017 10:27 AM
    Thought I'd chime in with a similar situation I'm experiencing, although mine is with the HTC U11. I've had it for about 2 months, than all of a sudden, about two weeks ago, I stopped receiving MMS messages.

I went through A LOT of troubleshooting, including disabling Textra, clearing the cache, uninstalling then reinstalling Textra, tried using stock Messages only, tried using Verizons messaging app, worked with tech support at both Verizon (Tier II) as well as HTC. I've also reset the phone to factory defaults twice, and also have also chatted with the developer of Textra. I've tried a replacement phone and am on my 3rd SIM card but I'm still having issues.

The dev at Textra has this to say about MMS issues and Google:

https://textra.uservoice.com/knowled...s-send-failing

David
    09-08-2017 11:25 AM
    Thanks for chiming in krauseke, I have not pulled the trigger on a Factory Reset b/c I was wondering if this might happen. Michael and OP, you guys did a factory reset I believe... are things still good for you guys. I am for now waiting until after this storm passes but holy Sh_t would I really like to have a FUNCTIONAL texting phone in this time!!!! C'mon Google.. if you are reading this get a fix to this problem.... seems like an update to Android Messages should fix this!!!

masseurca - from what I was told, the restore from VZ cloud of text messages should work no matter what app we're using but I have not confirmed that yet by actually trying it. That is part of why I also am backing up to Gmail with SMS Backup+ app.

I'm going to hold off on the Factory reset... at least I can make a phone call but damn I wish this was fixed right now...
    09-08-2017 12:29 PM
    I just had another buddy report same issue, upgraded to Oreo on Pixel a few days after me and text receive stopped working a few days after me (Wednesday vs. Sunday).
    09-08-2017 06:15 PM
    I have a Pixel (smaller one) and did the update a few days ago. I'm on Verizon and have the exact same version of messages as the OP. I didn't do a reset, haven't powered down the device (other than the power cycle during the update) and haven't had any issues like you've mentioned.

The only issue I've had (other than adjusting to Oreo's changes, not liking the extra pop-up asking if you want to manually or automatically place a home screen shortcut for example) is an issue with Bluetooth dropping out after connection (which I didn't have previously on either my Pixel or 6p). But it seems no matter what these updates seem to break as much as they fix anymore, or find solutions to problems no one has. I hope you find a fix soon, it could be pretty bad if the text were something serious. Good luck.
    09-10-2017 12:00 AM
    I spoke with someone from one one support. I started getting texts again, but now only some. If I open up Verizon Messenger+ there are messages there that are not in Android Messenger. When I restored from cloud I also had messages that were not there before resetting the phone. Seems to be something in Messenger that is not allowing all texts thru. They are being delivered to the phone but Messenger is not displaying them.
    09-10-2017 03:27 AM
    Thx guys. vzwuser76, for me and my buddy the issue started I'd say about three to five days after installing Oreo. It obviously isn't affecting everybody or this thread would be blowing up but keep an eye out.. the friend I mentioned above did a factory reset and has his text messaging working again. But he is of course cautious that it will go away like reported by someone above.
    krauseke, good information. I'm holding tight using other messaging sources as best I can but it really is a pain in the *** especially with this storm blowing over us now.

I urge anyone who is wondering if they should post here and is having the problem to please post with your experience, perhaps Verizon or Google will see how widespread or if this problem is widespread.
    09-10-2017 10:30 AM
    I also posted here in Google forum https://support.google.com/pixelphon...8FaHm_8/?hl=by
    GatorAndroid likes this.
    09-10-2017 11:59 AM
    If I open up Verizon Messenger+ there are messages there that are not in Android Messenger.
    That's most likely due to Messenger not being able to display MMS while "+" can.
    09-10-2017 12:05 PM
    That's most likely due to Messenger not being able to display MMS while "+" can.
    Are you saying Android Messenger can't display MMS messages? I don't use Verizon Messenger+ because when I tried to set it up, it had to be the default for text messages (I wanted it only to be able to do WiFi calling on my 6p before it got the ability to do so). But I've never not seen an MMS message that didn't show up.
    09-10-2017 05:31 PM
    Are you saying Android Messenger can't display MMS messages?
    The Messages app that comes on Verizon phones. It's my understanding that app cannot send/receive MMS, hence the Messages+ app. But, there is Messenger also, so right now I'm not sure which one we're discussing
    09-10-2017 05:38 PM
    Message+ on my phone can send and receive SMS and MMS. Some of those messages appear in Android Messenger. Other don't. Only consistent delivery is Verizon Message+
    09-10-2017 05:51 PM
    Thanks. But it's both SMS and MMS that don't show. Message+ shows all. Android Messenger only shows some
    09-10-2017 05:52 PM
    The Messages app that comes on Verizon phones. It's my understanding that app cannot send/receive MMS, hence the Messages+ app. But, there is Messenger also, so right now I'm not sure which one we're discussing
    I'm talking about Android Messenger (Messages), the one with the blue and white icon, that we've had on any Pixel or Nexus devices in the last few years.

The current icon looks like this:
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/uK...WGyoRsscg=w300

And an older one looks like this:
    https://help.republicwireless.com/hc...enger_Icon.jpg

And before that it was green and white. I believe the one you're referring to is a red background with white dialogue balloons.
    09-10-2017 05:54 PM
    I'm still without power and home internet after Hurricane Irma. Catching up here.

At some point I did the pixel Google support and they've been emailing me, I reference this forum post and they got back to me that a bug report/log from my device would be helpful. Problem is they need me to have a step with a laptop or PC and I don't have that ability right now. When I do I will send them a bug report.

krauseke, thanks for logging.

PJRed, thx. We are discussing the default Android Messages app. Blue circle icon with the white call out inside. It is indeed capable of sending and receiving SMS and MMS messages I've been using it since I've had my pixel 9 months. Until now....

Part of my steps with Verizon tier 2, Was to switch to the Verizon Messenger+ app and the messages from there that I sent to myself, SMS, still did not get to me. I did not try sending to another person to see if they received them (like I can successfully do with Android messages app) but from my perspective it had the same symptom as my now broken Android messages app on pixel.

Frustrating problem.

UPDATE: Bug Report of the issue occurring has now been sent to Google (me sending a text/sms message using Android Messages default app version 2.4.036 with Oreo, to myself and not receiving it, and it would have been the same for an MMS message). Will report back if I hear anything.
    09-11-2017 05:04 PM
    Same issue here. Started over the weekend, update to Oreo was last week. Went to Verizon today. Tried all the things listed here, put a new sim in, nothing worked. Only thing that worked was the factory reset. Yes it is a pain, but everything was backup on Google so not too bad. Also sent a bug report to Google from the phone, hopefully enough of us do it to get their attention.
    09-12-2017 07:24 PM
    Thx Pixelnorton, let us know how it goes. Someone reported doing a factory reset and the problem coming back about a week later. Also thanks for doing the bug report that surely probably is something that can help them fix the issue.
    09-12-2017 09:24 PM
    Anyone else do the factory reset and have the issue come back?
    09-13-2017 11:12 AM
    Made an account to comment here because I experienced the exact same issue. After talking on the phone with Verizon (Google advised me to call them after they said they couldn't fix the problem), I did the Factory Reset and was able to receive texts again. Hoping the issue does not come back... Will definitely let you know if it does.
    09-13-2017 12:09 PM
    Although I don't have a solution, I discovered a clue. After rebooting your phone, but before putting in your PIN, if someone sends you a text, you will get the popup telling you that you have new messages and to open your SMS app to view them. So the phone knows it received a text, but it's getting lost on the way to the SMS app. For me, I've tried both the standard Android Messaging app and the Verizon Messaging app as the default app. Neither app gets the text. Very interesting clue.
    09-13-2017 09:30 PM
    Can you share the link to the bug report? Thanks!
    09-14-2017 01:50 AM
    krauseke - the bug report is not like a bug logged in a database (at least not a bug number that I have yet)... it was a log from our phones sent as a .zip to Google. If I get anything that would be an actual logged bug/issue for Google I will post it.
    09-14-2017 10:14 AM
    Hello,

I am having the same problem where our Verizon Google Pixel XL is not receiving texts. I think I need to do a Factory Reset. What is the best way/program to backup everything? Mostly everything is backed up to Google, but for some reason my SMS message are showing last backup almost a month ago and I don't know how to fix it.
    09-14-2017 07:49 PM
    There were some issues in SMS backup using the Google backup from what I've read. I backed those up using VZ Cloud. But I have not done the Factory Reset yet. Those and Google Photos... but someone above discussed what I should do earlier in this.

Wow.. over 4k views of this post... must be a lot more than are posting having this ridiculous issue.
    09-15-2017 04:14 PM
81 1234