Since updating, I get at least one unexpected restart a day it seems. Sometimes a freeze and then a restart as well.

I'd already done a factory reset after updating, so I'm not quite sure what to look for.

Also the fact that no one else has apparently reported it here has me wondering whether it may be something peculiar to me, i.e., certain app or apps running in the background and not playing well with others.

So: Has anyone else been experiencing this?
    09-13-2017 08:45 AM
    Since updating, I get at least one unexpected restart a day it seems. Sometimes a freeze and then a restart as well.

I'd already done a factory reset after updating, so I'm not quite sure what to look for.

Also the fact that no one else has apparently reported it here has me wondering whether it may be something peculiar to me, i.e., certain app or apps running in the background and not playing well with others.

I haven't experienced any issues. Did you possibly tell Android to restore apps and wifi from backup?

Other then that it could be a misbehaving application. This can be a real headache because you would have to install all your apps one by one and wait a day or so before installing the next.
    09-13-2017 08:58 AM
    I haven't experienced any issues. Did you possibly tell Android to restore apps and wifi from backup?

Other then that it could be a misbehaving application. This can be a real headache because you would have to install all your apps one by one and wait a day or so before installing the next.
    Yes, I restored the way I usually do after a factory wipe -- app data, device settings, contacts, etc. from my Google backup account. I'm not sure why that would introduce a problem with Oreo that hadn't been there on Nougat.

Definitely the last thing I want to do is add apps back one by one. And I'm not rooted so logcat apps are out.
    09-13-2017 09:51 AM
    Yes, I restored the way I usually do after a factory wipe -- app data, device settings, contacts, etc. from my Google backup account. I'm not sure why that would introduce a problem with Oreo that hadn't been there on Nougat.

Definitely the last thing I want to do is add apps back one by one. And I'm not rooted so logcat apps are out.
    Usually when I wipe and reinstall I do not restore anything. I set it up as a new device. My contacts will automatically appear when signing into my Gmail account. As for applications I just download the applications manually.
    eds817 likes this.
    09-13-2017 12:36 PM
    I just had this happen to me earlier today. Curious to hear if the wipe helps out.
    09-13-2017 05:09 PM
    Same here. My phone never restarted or froze up. Its done it about 30 times since oreo. I'm in the beta program so I complained about it but never heard anything back.
    09-14-2017 01:14 PM
    Which Region and Network are you with?..

Alot of Play Store apps might still be on 712 compatibility,, You could try removing all except the pure google apps, which means you wont lose any contacts / emails or texts and you could just use Google Music for 2 or 3 days.,.. and see how you get on.

Also, Try clearing the App Cache:

https://recomhub.com/blog/how-to-cle...-and-pixel-xl/

Lets know how it goes..
    09-14-2017 01:29 PM
    Oops. I believe I found the problem.

After the traditional post-upgrade factory wipe, I indiscriminately dumped the entire music folder from my PC onto the phone. (Though I have an 128GB Pixel XL, I usually edit it down somewhat.) That resulted in my using 91% of the internal storage. Leaving less than 10% free internal storage on one's phone is not a good idea.

I've freed up space, rebooted, and have not yet had any random restart (knock on wood).
    NightOrchid and DMP89145 like this.
    09-14-2017 01:46 PM
    Glad you found the solution and sorted it out.

Thanks for sharing it your solution. I could only manage to get hold of a 32GB model, so ill bear this in mind.

Also, dont forget, using the adaptor in the box, the Pixel & XL supports USB OTG and it still has a headphone jack.. .

Im picking myself up a mini 64GB pen drive so i can have loads of storage.

Enjoy
    09-14-2017 02:12 PM
    Actually, the problem returned at the end of the day again, so using less than 90% of storage space is definitely not the solution to this problem, which I now see has been noted and discussed on other forums. Some people have RMA'd their Pixel because of this. If you don't have the problem, you're lucky -- you're like those people who didn't lose power after going through Irma.
    09-17-2017 07:13 AM
    I've been getting them pretty regular too I already did it what you did and factory reset my phone that didn't help so I factory reset it as a new phone slowly reinstall apps still kept randomly restarting not sure what's causing it
    09-17-2017 09:40 AM
    Alot more freezing and app crashes then I've ever experienced on this phone! Have not installed any new apps. Already did factory reset. Not impressed with this oreo so far. Crappy signals again all over too
    09-17-2017 02:16 PM
    A dev on Reddit says they found a bug in Oreo's new notification channels that causes the phone to reboot, that Google has fixed it, and that the fix will be in a system update.
    09-18-2017 03:03 PM
    I have had a couple of random reboots. But for me they both happened under the exact same circumstances. Which was when I would have YouTube playing in the small PiP window while doing something else. So far that has been the only times I have experienced reboots.
    09-19-2017 08:34 AM
    Thus far no reboots for me, even with YouTube PiP.
    09-19-2017 08:52 AM
    Ha, I haven't been able to try PIP because I don't have YouTube Red. Since they have a 3-month free trial, I decided I'd give it a whirl. When I received the confirmation email from Google, I clicked on the "Get Started" button in the email (this was in AquaMail) and -- the phone froze and rebooted. Yay.

No crash when I finally did try it, though.
    09-19-2017 10:27 AM
    Just to tie this up, at least for me, I posted a bug report from my phone in the Google issue tracker for this bug set up last week, and it appears to be hardware error. Why it appeared after the Oreo update, I have no idea, but there you are.
    09-26-2017 03:30 PM
    Just to tie this up, at least for me, I posted a bug report from my phone in the Google issue tracker for this bug set up last week, and it appears to be hardware error. Why it appeared after the Oreo update, I have no idea, but there you are.
    I've had several unexpected shutdowns and difficult restarts. Yeaterday it shut down in my pocket and would not restart no matter what . No safe mode, nothing. Tried charging, no effect. Since I had the insurance I called Google and they were very efficient. After a few questions they sent me a return label and my new (refurb) Pixel will be here tomorrow or Thursday.
    09-26-2017 04:44 PM
    I started having restarts with the final release of Oreo. But, it only happens when using PIP on You Tube Red, when turning the screen on and off.
    09-27-2017 08:27 PM
    I've had several unexpected shutdowns and difficult restarts. Yeaterday it shut down in my pocket and would not restart no matter what . No safe mode, nothing. Tried charging, no effect. Since I had the insurance I called Google and they were very efficient. After a few questions they sent me a return label and my new (refurb) Pixel will be here tomorrow or Thursday.
    If you had the Sense Key: Hardware Error bug, that should take care of the problem. But that is just one of three bugs that are causing reboots. Aside from the hardware error, there is a virtually identical but mysterious one that is apparently not reproducible and results in random soft reboots.

The issue tracker thread for that bug is here: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/66498889

Anyone having the daily random reboot issue should star the thread and (most important) submit a bug report. You can do that by taking the following steps immediately after experiencing a random reboot:

1. Enable Developer Options on your phone by going to Settings > System > About phone and tapping 7 times on Build number at the bottom.
    2. Back out to Settings > System and tap on Developer options.
    3. Click on Take bug report and then take an Interactive report. You will see in your Notifications pull down that the bug report is being generated (takes up to a minute sometimes)
    4. Tap on Share bug report in Notifications and share/save to your Google Drive or whereever.
    5. Attach the resulting zip file and png file to a post in the above issue tracker thread. Google engineers will review it, and will respond.

I started having restarts with the final release of Oreo. But, it only happens when using PIP on You Tube Red, when turning the screen on and off.
    The PiP issue is the third reboot bug, well-known to Google, and it has been fixed on their internal build. I would imagine the fix would come out with the October security update.
    09-28-2017 07:22 AM
    I've been getting random reboots too after oreo and haven't understood why, and now I finally know it's not just my pixel xl! (I also factory reset after updating to oreo). I really hope the October update fixes the problem, if not I'll have to send in a bug report 😢 inconvenience
    10-02-2017 10:27 PM
    Oddly enough, I'm supposed to be getting my replacement Pixel XL today, after receiving the October update last night. There's a part of me that thinks the update will fix whatever triggered the hardware error causing (some? all? of) my random reboots. I had three in the car on the way home before receiving the update. None since, although I could go 24 hours before w/o a random reboot....
    10-03-2017 06:26 AM

I have encountered this just now. My phone suddenly froze and restarted, after that it went on a bootloop. i tried the hard reset but only the POWER OFF option works, if i'm selecting the RECOVERY MODE, it just goes back to the Google logo.
    May I know how to fix this issue? thank you.
    10-31-2017 09:47 AM
    I have encountered this just now. My phone suddenly froze and restarted, after that it went on a bootloop. i tried the hard reset but only the POWER OFF option works, if i'm selecting the RECOVERY MODE, it just goes back to the Google logo.
    May I know how to fix this issue? thank you.
    Contact Google for 1:1 Support. Phone number is near the bottom of the page.
    10-31-2017 03:43 PM