So Google has been replacing the Nexus 6P with new Pixels and also recently opened up its device trade-ins.

In offering an attracting amount for trade-in, I suspect Google will be getting a good number of Pixels back from people who choose to upgrade.

My question is: What happens to these devices? Are they broken down for parts and repurposed?

Are they refurbed and will possibly be sold at a lesser cost?

I'm interested in the Pixel 2, but want to see exactly what happens in terms of software updates to last years model.
    09-29-2017 09:06 AM
    Do 6Ps still have to be under warranty?
    09-29-2017 09:08 AM
    It would be really cool to see more refurbished (and obviously tested for quality, etc) phones for people to purchase; especially from the Pixel line!
    Law2138 likes this.
    09-29-2017 09:13 AM
    Not quite sure about that. I recall someone saying that the devices needed to be purchased directly from Google. However, I think Google is taking the opportunity to address customer satisfaction and clearing old stock at the same time. Good on them I say.
    09-29-2017 09:23 AM
    It would be really cool to see more refurbished (and obviously tested for quality, etc) phones for people to purchase; especially from the Pixel line!
    It's a great opportunity for more people to have the Google experience.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-29-2017 09:26 AM
    It's a great opportunity for more people to have the Google experience.
    Absolutely! Those phones are awesome beans but very expensive; and so this would enable more users to have access to a great product line.
    09-29-2017 10:04 AM
    Looks like Google has been replacing even out of warranty 6Ps suffering from bootloop or battery issues as long as it was purchased from Google.
    09-29-2017 12:32 PM

I'm interested in the Pixel 2, but want to see exactly what happens in terms of software updates to last years model.
    I'd expect the same update support Google committed to for the Pixel/XL. At least 2 years of major updates and 3 years of security patches from release date.
    09-29-2017 12:38 PM
    I'd expect the same update support Google committed to for the Pixel/XL. At least 2 years of major updates and 3 years of security patches from release date.
    Yup, that's for sure. But in terms of new features, that will appear on the Pixel 2...such as Portrait mode enabled through software (we'll see Oct 4th what the difference in camera is).
    09-29-2017 01:20 PM
    Agreed! I'd definitely be interested in buying a Refurb'd Pixel.
    10-01-2017 09:07 PM
    I'll admit I'm cheap but I've always liked refurbs, open box, floor models and I've never been burned. Years ago CompUSA had a table with laptops being sold for peanuts because they didn't work and they didn't want to send them back to the manufacturer. I asked if I could open and IBM Thinkpad and the clerk said I could. I reseated some cards and, amazingly, it booted right up and ran fine.

"It works. Want to take it off the table?"
    "Not me. If you don't buy it I will."
    I bought it. And, just yesterday I bought a recliner that was a floor model and was half the price of other recliners. It was a good brand name and I bought. I'm delighted with it and an added benefit was I didn't have to mess with the assembly. When I saw the assembly instructions I was delighted to not face that.

I consider refurbs as "tested" which new from the factory aren't.
    Morty2264, Hypnotoadd and libra89 like this.
    10-02-2017 09:12 AM
    I'll admit I'm cheap but I've always liked refurbs, open box, floor models and I've never been burned. Years ago CompUSA had a table with laptops being sold for peanuts because they didn't work and they didn't want to send them back to the manufacturer. I asked if I could open and IBM Thinkpad and the clerk said I could. I reseated some cards and, amazingly, it booted right up and ran fine.

"It works. Want to take it off the table?"
    "Not me. If you don't buy it I will."
    I bought it. And, just yesterday I bought a recliner that was a floor model and was half the price of other recliners. It was a good brand name and I bought. I'm delighted with it and an added benefit was I didn't have to mess with the assembly. When I saw the assembly instructions I was delighted to not face that.

I consider refurbs as "tested" which new from the factory aren't.
    You bring up a very good point about products being "tested" and so they have already been tweaked with and fixed if they encountered any problems within their lifespan. Good philosophy!
    libra89 likes this.
    10-02-2017 07:06 PM
    So where is a good place to get a refurbished XL, non-verizon model?
    10-08-2017 10:13 PM