mic and headphone jack not working

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone, haven't seen anything but if I missed it please direct me.

My phone has no functioning mic. I tried okay Google nothing, voice to text nothing and tried to listen to music through my headphones and use the mic nothing. Only thing that works is my Bluetooth headset.

Any suggestions

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have seen issues in the past when an app (typically a game, and a poorly designed one at that) takes over the audio subsystem and does not give it up unless the app is killed.

Does that possibility point you towards anything you may have recently added to your phone?

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I have seen issues in the past when an app (typically a game, and a poorly designed one at that) takes over the audio subsystem and does not give it up unless the app is killed.

Does that possibility point you towards anything you may have recently added to your phone?

I went through all my apps and deleted a couple of apps I've downloaded the last few days. Most of the apps did go through a recent update. Those I didn't touch.

But I'm not sure what it could be.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Try starting the phone in Safe Mode and see if it works that way.

1. Turn phone on
  2. Press and hold power button until popup menu appears
  3. Press and hold Power off option until the phone shuts down

To cancel Safe Mode, simply restart your phone in the usual manner.

Note: If the phone functions normally in Safe Mode, then you most likely have an app that is causing the problem.

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Try starting the phone in Safe Mode and see if it works that way.

1. Turn phone on
  2. Press and hold power button until popup menu appears
  3. Press and hold Power off option until the phone shuts down

To cancel Safe Mode, simply restart your phone in the usual manner.

Note: If the phone functions normally in Safe Mode, then you most likely have an app that is causing the problem.

Thanks for that! I had to Google search that but now knowing it's in here I cannot. Quickly go to it if I forget.

Also I removed some apps that continue to run in the background that I rarely use. Restarting the phone and it's back and working. I deleted two handful of apps so I'm not sure which one was the issue.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Okay so earlier I tried the safe mode trick and it didn't work. I was just messing with the device and tried it again and now it works under safe mode. Should I try wiping the device first or should I just swap it out?
If it's a hardware issue, then wiping won't make a difference. If you've already got a replacement on the way I'd just exchange it and enjoy the new one.

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Well it's been 6 days now with the replacement and it's happening again. Contacted Google and they are replacing it with a new device not a refurbished one. let's see how long that lasts.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Well it's been 6 days now with the replacement and it's happening again. Contacted Google and they are replacing it with a new device not a refurbished one. let's see how long that lasts.

Seriously, all the more reason to suspect you have an app which is causing this problem.

I would check the user feedback for every "non-mainstream" app you have loaded on your device. Be especially wary of games and utilities not published by major developers.

Your device isn't rooted, is it?

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, all the more reason to suspect you have an app which is causing this problem.

I would check the user feedback for every "non-mainstream" app you have loaded on your device. Be especially wary of games and utilities not published by major developers.

Your device isn't rooted, is it?

I thought so too. I've attached screenshots of the apps installed. I so not have anything crazy or out of the ordinary.

Screenshot_20171020-151049.jpgScreenshot_20171020-151058.jpgScreenshot_20171020-151118.jpgScreenshot_20171020-151125.jpgScreenshot_20171020-151202.jpgScreenshot_20171020-151211.jpgScreenshot_20171020-151217.jpg

AbAll87

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue. I factory reset the phone, it didn't work. I did everything, I tried safe mode, it would work for a few seconds and then it would stop.

I decided to try one more thing again and it was factory reset but starts the phone as brand new. I didn't restore anything. so far it seems it's working But I am not sure for how long. I have been doing long tests and every time I download an app I do another test.

I really believe the issue was when I upgraded to 8.0, something went wrong in the google software, maybe my settings on 7.1.2 were not conform with the new OS update. I don't think it's a third party app. I'll send another update if phone stops working again and hopefully if it does, it does it soon before I lose the warranty.

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue. I factory reset the phone, it didn't work. I did everything, I tried safe mode, it would work for a few seconds and then it would stop.

I decided to try one more thing again and it was factory reset but starts the phone as brand new. I didn't restore anything. so far it seems it's working But I am not sure for how long. I have been doing long tests and every time I download an app I do another test.

I really believe the issue was when I upgraded to 8.0, something went wrong in the google software, maybe my settings on 7.1.2 were not conform with the new OS update. I don't think it's a third party app. I'll send another update if phone stops working again and hopefully if it does, it does it soon before I lose the warranty.

I did the same and also tried running 7.1.2 for a day or two to see if upgrading to 8.0 was the issue. Still occurred and wasn't pleased.

My new replacement arrived, still not happy they sent .e a very silver instead of the black. But it's a brand new device compared to a refurbished one.

Attachments

• acc=1;doc=3.jpg
    acc=1;doc=3.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 18

AbAll87

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I did the same and also tried running 7.1.2 for a day or two to see if upgrading to 8.0 was the issue. Still occurred and wasn't pleased.

My new replacement arrived, still not happy they sent .e a very silver instead of the black. But it's a brand new device compared to a refurbished one.

Okay thanks for the heads up... Ill try to use it often to see if the problem will occur before the warranty is over... In other note, The ok Google feature is not working but everything else is working so far

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital