10-22-2017 07:30 AM
35 12
tools
    Why would anyone "upgrade" to the P2? Am I missing something? Same-ish specs and no headphone jack, I consider that a downgrade.
    10-08-2017 08:34 AM
    Why would anyone "upgrade" to the P2? Am I missing something? Same-ish specs and no headphone jack, I consider that a downgrade.
    In the age of Bluetooth headsets, who plugs in for that any more and wants to be tangled? Besides, it includes a 3.5 mm adapter to USB-C.
    10-08-2017 08:35 AM
    I think more people still plug in the old fashion way than use Bluetooth. Us old curmudgeons are stubborn. plus Bluetooth never sounds as good imo.
    codeda, Tritonemusic and libra89 like this.
    10-08-2017 08:42 AM
    oh well for what I'd spend on a 2 I can get a nice AR
    Mungus99 and mrvco like this.
    10-08-2017 08:52 AM
    I own the OG Pixel from day one that I am completely satisfied with. For me, it's been the best device I've ever owned. I preordered the Pixel 2, not because I'm not satisfied, but because I wanted to own the most current model.

I understand about the whole headphone jack thing, but I feel like all manufacturers will eventually go this direction so might as well go ahead and adapt more sooner than later.
    10-08-2017 09:00 AM
    I haven't used wired headphones in a long time so it makes no difference to me. I was a note user before I got the XL. I have been really satisfied with this device even though it doesn't have any of the note glam. I pre-ordered the 2 but I am seriously thinking of cancelling and going back to the note. I'm really indecisive this year and I can't figure out why.
    10-08-2017 09:12 AM
    I'm getting the XL2 for the screen, ip67, and stereo speakers. the XL will be my back up phone. I dont care about the headphone jack, I think it's kind of goofy to run around with a $900 phone and still be plugging in headphones.

And that black and white color is mint 👌
    kenorian and vreale like this.
    10-08-2017 01:37 PM
    Calling the P2/ XL2 a downgrade because it doesn't have a headphone jack is silly. Based on specs they should be a clear upgrade over the original Pixels.
    10-08-2017 05:08 PM
    I think more people still plug in the old fashion way than use Bluetooth. Us old curmudgeons are stubborn. plus Bluetooth never sounds as good imo.
    That's the thing, I think it all depends on where you stay... I rarely ever see anyone with wired headphones walking around almost everyone with headphones I see either with that thing around their neck or the neck cable (both are Bluetooth)... Just like the ppl saying no one plays their phone out loud so ffs are a waste of space but my friends and I show fb videos, YouTube clips, and play soundcloud clips for each other quite a bit...

My point is everybody needs to stop speaking for everybody else, if it doesn't fit your needs don't get it.
    10-08-2017 06:18 PM
    So, old curmudgeons should stick with old technology. For people who like to drop their phones in toilets the fact that the Pixel2 is waterproof is a plus. Better screen although my Pixel is fine. I have very little interest in how the phone looks. That seemed to be the biggest criticism of the Pixel.

I probably won't get a Pixel2. My Pixel does just fine.
    10-08-2017 07:13 PM
    So, old curmudgeons should stick with old technology. For people who like to drop their phones in toilets the fact that the Pixel2 is waterproof is a plus. Better screen although my Pixel is fine. Now, better speakers is a big plus for me. I have very little interest in how the phone looks. That seemed to be the biggest criticism of the Pixel.

I probably won't get a Pixel2. My Pixel does just fine.
    10-08-2017 07:13 PM
    I would love to have the Pixel XL 2. Last time I tried to use wired headphones the stupid cable kept getting in my way. Yes, the wired phones sound better, for me I don't care. I would take BT ones any day. But, the OG Pixel is still working well except for of all things the BT. LOL. I can't justify the expenditure. But, I will be all in when the 3 comes out.
    10-08-2017 09:02 PM
    I'm not upgrading this year, but that's more a 'responsible budgeting" issue than a tech issue. The 2 is clearly superior in many ways - processors, camera, IP rating, screen quality.
    vreale likes this.
    10-08-2017 10:50 PM
    As a T-Mo customer, I will not upgrade from the OG Pixel to anything else unless it has T-Mo's new Band 71. The V30 has B71, but I've been tracking the customer feedback and reviews on that device and I am not drawn to it. I won't pay the Pixel 2 XL price tag knowing from Day 1 that I'll consider it obsolete as soon as a good B71-capable phone comes along. Combine that with the lack of truly compelling new features in the P2 XL (for me) and I am looking to hold on to my OG Pixel XL.
    10-09-2017 06:01 AM
    For a hard of hearing guy like me dual front speakers makes a lot of sense. Also the specs upgrade might be trivial to some not for me
    vreale likes this.
    10-09-2017 02:39 PM
    In the age of Bluetooth headsets, who plugs in for that any more and wants to be tangled? Besides, it includes a 3.5 mm adapter to USB-C.
    I have Bluetooth head phones but forget to charge them, and besides I have 2 pairs of wired headphones that sound better. One pair is great for working out.

I plug my phone into speakers around the house for music, and I plug it into the aux on my car almost every time I leave the house.

I realize it can all be replaced with wireless set ups, but that costs additional money I don't need to spend, a phone with no 3.5mm audio plug is a no go for me.
    10-09-2017 04:25 PM
    I am tempted to upgrade but only because I am impulsive. I am in the wired headphone preference camp. A bigger battery could have made me a sure buyer. Battery life is my one negative with the Pixel and they made it smaller on the new one!
    10-09-2017 06:26 PM
    Serious question here, but with bluetooth 5.0 replacing the 3.5mm jack, does this now mean that we can connect any bluetooth headphones, put our phone in our pocket, and not experience the dreaded signal loss which happens way too often?
    10-09-2017 10:38 PM
    Serious question here, but with bluetooth 5.0 replacing the 3.5mm jack, does this now mean that we can connect any bluetooth headphones, put our phone in our pocket, and not experience the dreaded signal loss which happens way too often?
    I don't have that issue with Jaybird X3 (BT 4.1). Headphones will need to support BT 5.0 to see the benefits of BT 5.0 with Pixel 2/ XL. Looks like the Pixel buds don't support BT 5.0.
    10-10-2017 12:30 AM
    My phone is a OPO and my BT headphones are the LG Tone 910's. Is the problem with the phone then as the issue pops up on other brands of headphones I'll wear? Looking online I've come across quite a few other people writing about the frustration of losing connection when putting their phones in their pockets and the music cutting out.
    10-10-2017 06:41 AM
    My phone is a OPO and my BT headphones are the LG Tone 910's. Is the problem with the phone then as the issue pops up on other brands of headphones I'll wear? Looking online I've come across quite a few other people writing about the frustration of losing connection when putting their phones in their pockets and the music cutting out.
    It's dependent on the phone's own bluetooth hardware as well. Even if it supports bluetooth5.0, if the phone hardware is not up to par, then it will skip. No one can really answer your question because you're using an OPPO, and they're not exactly known for premium phones. Even mid range devices from known brands like Sony will have inferior quality bluetooth on mid to low range devices compared to flagships.
    A device doesn't need bluetooth 5.0 to have no signal loss. It needs good quality bluetooth transmitter.
    10-10-2017 07:00 AM
    Thanks, so are the bluetooth transmitters produced by Qualcomm in their SD socs or does each phone manufacturer design their own BT chips?
    10-10-2017 07:04 AM
    Thanks, so are the bluetooth transmitters produced by Qualcomm in their SD socs or does each phone manufacturer design their own BT chips?
    The BT chips are sourced separately from the SoC AFAIK. I have no proof other than the fact that different phones with same SoCs can have different BT specifications.
    10-10-2017 07:32 AM
    Thanks for that, I was always thinking that the BT was part of the Snapdragon chipset and was implemented by Qualcomm. Definitely makes sense now that all phones are not created equally in regards to Bluetooth quality.
    10-10-2017 07:35 AM
    Updated SoC, increased water resistance, camera that blows the original, and everything else, out of the water, best software available on any phone, best security available on any phone, 3 years of guaranteed updates, best fingerprint scanner available on any phone, best USB C port available on any phone (3.1), increase to 64 GB base storage, Google Lens, active edge, dual front facing stereo speakers, BT 5.0 ... yeah, totally the same as last year.
    codeda, matty032, hub1 and 2 others like this.
    10-10-2017 07:38 AM
35 12