I've been having issues w/ my Pixel randomly shutting off for about two months now (since Oreo update came out). It has gotten progressively worse over time. When I posted on the Google forum, it was suggested that the issue is with the OS, and I should contact Google support to possibly get a repair or exchange. That would be great, but I'm fearful that they won't take the phone back, as the back plastic is shattered. I never dropped the phone. It shattered while in my pocket, either hit the seat belt or door. Regardless, it is shattered and the fingerprint scanner has not worked since. Should I try to get a replacement with it as is (shattered/non-functioning fingerprint scanner), or should I repair the back plastic/fingerprint scanner prior to seeking a repair/replacement? If anybody has experience w/ the requirements for returns like this, I would really appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!
    10-31-2017 05:01 PM
    Physical damage isn't covered by warranty. The software issue you should be able to try a factory reset. Returning it doesn't make sense.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-31-2017 08:28 PM
    Physical damage isn't covered by warranty. The software issue you should be able to try a factory reset. Returning it doesn't make sense.
    Thanks. I should have added that I already tried booting in safe mode and performing a factory reset. The problem actually appears to have gotten worse since I performed the reset. Unless I just use it for phone calls only, it's virtually unusable. It will reboot 5+ times on average when I attempt to send a basic text message. I know you say "returning it doesn't make sense," however I don't know what else I can do. The expert on Google forum suggested it may be a hardware problem and to contact Google about doing a return. That being said, I'm not so sure it is a hardware issue, as Google's forum is flooded w/ the exact same issue, even on the Pixel 2. At the end of the day, based on your feedback, my assumption is that if I do attempt a return, I will need to have the back fixed first, correct?
    11-01-2017 12:40 AM
    Thanks. I should have added that I already tried booting in safe mode and performing a factory reset. The problem actually appears to have gotten worse since I performed the reset. Unless I just use it for phone calls only, it's virtually unusable. It will reboot 5+ times on average when I attempt to send a basic text message. I know you say "returning it doesn't make sense," however I don't know what else I can do. The expert on Google forum suggested it may be a hardware problem and to contact Google about doing a return. That being said, I'm not so sure it is a hardware issue, as Google's forum is flooded w/ the exact same issue, even on the Pixel 2. At the end of the day, based on your feedback, my assumption is that if I do attempt a return, I will need to have the back fixed first, correct?
    No that's not what I meant. It seems like asking if you should fix it first is asking if you're going to have better luck by hiding the physical damage. If you're trying to go through warranty replacement, that has to be done with full disclosure that the device has major physical damage to it, which I'd almost certainly going to result in any warranty claim being denied based on the physical damage. You want to be honest here, so the best advice is to call Google, explain the whole situation, especially the damage, and follow the directions that they provide to attempt to resolve it.
    11-01-2017 06:43 AM
    I've been having issues w/ my Pixel randomly shutting off for about two months now (since Oreo update came out). It has gotten progressively worse over time. When I posted on the Google forum, it was suggested that the issue is with the OS, and I should contact Google support to possibly get a repair or exchange. That would be great, but I'm fearful that they won't take the phone back, as the back plastic is shattered. I never dropped the phone. It shattered while in my pocket, either hit the seat belt or door. Regardless, it is shattered and the fingerprint scanner has not worked since. Should I try to get a replacement with it as is (shattered/non-functioning fingerprint scanner), or should I repair the back plastic/fingerprint scanner prior to seeking a repair/replacement? If anybody has experience w/ the requirements for returns like this, I would really appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!

For what it's worth I got a Pixel off a trade with physical damage. A day after getting the phone the mics stopped working. I contacted Google via the chat app built in to the software and they allowed me to return the phone and they sent me a replacement. Replacement was brand new. It was awesome. So I would try that just be honest about the condition of the phone.
    11-05-2017 03:29 PM
    No that's not what I meant. It seems like asking if you should fix it first is asking if you're going to have better luck by hiding the physical damage. If you're trying to go through warranty replacement, that has to be done with full disclosure that the device has major physical damage to it, which I'd almost certainly going to result in any warranty claim being denied based on the physical damage. You want to be honest here, so the best advice is to call Google, explain the whole situation, especially the damage, and follow the directions that they provide to attempt to resolve it.
    Oh, I see. I'm not trying to deceive anybody here, man. I don't know how this all works. I just assumed that it had to be in near perfect condition in order to be returned, so I was going to get it fixed so that I could get this resolved as soon as possible. The physical damage has literally nothing to do with the problems I'm having. The physical damage has been there since shortly after I got the phone and it worked just fine up until the past couple months. I'm not dumb enough to come on a message board asking for tips on how to commit fraud.
    11-06-2017 01:09 AM
    For what it's worth I got a Pixel off a trade with physical damage. A day after getting the phone the mics stopped working. I contacted Google via the chat app built in to the software and they allowed me to return the phone and they sent me a replacement. Replacement was brand new. It was awesome. So I would try that just be honest about the condition of the phone.
    Thanks. I will try that. I appreciate the straightforward answer without accusing me of being deceitful.
    11-06-2017 01:10 AM
    Oh, I see. I'm not trying to deceive anybody here, man. I don't know how this all works. I just assumed that it had to be in near perfect condition in order to be returned, so I was going to get it fixed so that I could get this resolved as soon as possible. The physical damage has literally nothing to do with the problems I'm having. The physical damage has been there since shortly after I got the phone and it worked just fine up until the past couple months. I'm not dumb enough to come on a message board asking for tips on how to commit fraud.
    Yeah, that's not what I was trying to say. The point was to contact Google directly and to have them decide how to best move forward.
    11-06-2017 06:26 AM