Bought my pixel XL with the intent of always having the latest release and not having to root and flash to get the right UI for myself.

I completely loathed Oreo so went with the 8.1 Dev preview and now I'm in the final beta release which fixed random restarts and battery draining but the double lock screen, butchered DND and lag is driving me nuts.

I'm going to try a 7.2 ROM like lineage or paranoid but I'm just wondering what's the best method for transferring my data. I've got 20GB of music. It's the first phone I've owned without a an SD slot... So annoying.
    11-30-2017 08:54 PM
    Back everything up to a PC or cloud account (or both). (You should always have everything backed up. If you drop the phone and a truck runs over it, it's kind of difficult to retrieve data from it.) See Backing up an Android Device for some ideas.
    12-01-2017 11:56 AM
    Google Play Music lets you back up music you own to the cloud for free
    12-01-2017 06:39 PM
    I can certainly understand why if you loathe Oreo you go with Oreo Beta.

If you hate not having an SD card slot then you could get a flash drive. I have a couple that are USB A on one end and USB C on the other.
    12-02-2017 07:12 AM
    You can also connect ANY flash drive or thumb drive to your Pixel using the adapter that is/was in the box. It makes any portable drive (even a portable hard drive - I keep a 1TB full of movies) "local" so you can access it through the stock file manager.

Perhaps this would be an easier way to back up any of your offline music. Make sure you have Google Photos backing up to the cloud and you can factory reset.

It's unfortunate that you're seeing these issues. I'm running Beta 2 right now on my XL (2016) and the battery is great, DND works perfectly (I have several timers set up for things like night time, church, etc) and I just use my fingerprint to unlock. I do agree that the double-tap on lock screen notifications is a little inconvenient.

Try a factory reset first (or just unenroll from the Beta) before you flash another ROM. Give it a couple of days to "settle in" and make sure all of your apps are updated. Some developers are crap when it comes to updating to new versions of Android so they're not properly designed.
    12-02-2017 07:20 AM