8.1 Oddities

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Attached here is my home screen. Two things to point out... 1, there are items on my calendar yet they don't appear on the widget at top (yes, calendar entries are turned on in preferences). 2, my search bar G is all-white, not colorful as I hear others have. Not important obviously, but an anomaly just the same.

Anybody seeing similar behavior?
51bcd561fbdb42dba6208c423d8a6d1d.jpg

krishnansasikumar

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
First, nice screen setup.

The Google search bar can be customized for colour. So you might want to edit it to set it up the way you want.

Not sure about the calendar entry, but check if the widget has the space to display it. Basically it would require an extra line of space.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
First, nice screen setup.

The Google search bar can be customized for colour. So you might want to edit it to set it up the way you want.

Not sure about the calendar entry, but check if the widget has the space to display it. Basically it would require an extra line of space.
Excellent feedback, thank you! Please do tell about the "G" customization. How do I do that?

I've temporarily removed the clock widget and moved the GSam icon out of the way. Let's see if that fixes the agenda after a reboot.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Follow up.... removing the clock and getting GSam out of the way has done nothing. Unless others are seeing calendar items, I think that may be broken...

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Id like to ask what setting, app or widget youre using to display the battery hour/minute remaining info on your display. TIA

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Id like to ask what setting, app or widget youre using to display the battery hour/minute remaining info on your display. TIA
No problem! That's the 1x1 widget that's associated with the GSam battery app on the Play store. Note.. Those times may not be accurate. Gsam hasn't worked well since Oreo hit. The times were ridiculously off for 8.0; the only reason it's on my screen now is that I'm experimenting to see if it's any more accurate with 8.1.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't address the built-in search bar of the OS. I've joined the beta list for the app though.. have to see where that takes me. Thanks!

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Calendar items only show up on the home screen approximately 30 minutes before the time of the event. For example, I have a dental appointment for 10:45 AM next Monday. That appointment will show up on my home screen at about 10:15 Monday morning.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Calendar items only show up on the home screen approximately 30 minutes before the time of the event. For example, I have a dental appointment for 10:45 AM next Monday. That appointment will show up on my home screen at about 10:15 Monday morning.
This needs more testing. I did have an appointment shown today, and I believe it was about 30 minutes prior.

However, I just started playing a little and put a test appointment on my calendar. It "starts" in 12 minutes and no reminder is showing up on that widget.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

This ^^ (but, I think "exactly 30 minutes" before would be more accurate :) )

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't the case in testing last night.

Just a few moments ago, at 7:28 AM local time, I added an "Event" reminder to my calendar scheduled for 7:30 AM. I din't configure anything else - just "Test" event at 7:30 AM. Went back to my home screen and it was showing there, right at the top: "Test in 2 minutes". And, as of this moment, it now says "Test now" (it was a one-hour long event).

Pixel 2 XL on 8.1.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Just a few moments ago, at 7:28 AM local time, I added an "Event" reminder to my calendar scheduled for 7:30 AM. I din't configure anything else - just "Test" event at 7:30 AM. Went back to my home screen and it was showing there, right at the top: "Test in 2 minutes". And, as of this moment, it now says "Test now" (it was a one-hour long event).

Pixel 2 XL on 8.1.
Ok, generally speaking, were talking Pixels here, not Pixel 2s. I don't know if that makes a difference in this case, but it is a difference between you and I. This thread is describing the function of this 8.1 feature on a Pixel.

One difference in your testing versus mine is that I deliberately chose a time about 35 minutes out from that moment to see if the event appeared with 30 minutes until it's begin time. It did not. Now I'll try it your way and report back.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Pixel 2 XL on 8.1.
At 7:38a I created a calendar event for 7:45a. Consistent with my test last night, it did not appear on this new 8.1 agenda widget.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok, generally speaking, were talking Pixels here, not Pixel 2s. I don't know if that makes a difference in this case, but it is a difference between you and I. This thread is describing the function of this 8.1 feature on a Pixel.

One difference in your testing versus mine is that I deliberately chose a time about 35 minutes out from that moment to see if the event appeared with 30 minutes until it's begin time. It did not. Now I'll try it your way and report back.

I went with two minutes out because a) I didn't feel like waiting and b) I know the 30 minute rule works because I have meetings nearly every day at work and they all turn up on my home page just like they should.

Pixel vs. Pixel 2 I don't think should matter but, hey, anything is possible.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I went with two minutes out because a) I didn't feel like waiting and b) I know the 30 minute rule works because I have meetings nearly every day at work and they all turn up on my home page just like they should.

Pixel vs. Pixel 2 I don't think should matter but, hey, anything is possible.
I think the way it could matter is that you had the widget on your phone out of the box - with 8.0 installed (if I remember correctly). With the Pixels it's coming to us through the 8.1 implementation, which is a totally different coding path.

All that said, I know this functionality CAN work for sure - I saw it myself yesterday on an event I'd had on the calendar for weeks. It was my testing of the 30 minute widow last night where I saw it not working at all. I wondered this morning if it had to do with calendar/account syncing so I checked that (and even forced a "sync now"), but syncing is working fine.

So what would make a weeks-old calendar event work and not a brand new one, I wonder?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000